Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil light comes on when stopped.

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2018, 05:08 PM
TAKITO SEXY
Tourer
Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts
Default Oil light comes on when stopped.

Recently finished my Stage ll, been riding without any issues.....until now.
The oil light comes on after about ten seconds when fully stopped, then goes away as soon as l blip it, keep revs above 1k, or take off.
This is the second time this scenario has hapened. l did pour a quart of oil to replenish some of what was wasted when l did the Stage ll. No check engine light, no oil leaks (been leeping my eyes on it), no weird knocks, etc.
Any thoughts?

Old 03-12-2018, 05:13 PM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,273 Likes on 11,143 Posts

If the oil level is correct, I’d take it to the dealer.

Old 03-12-2018, 05:34 PM
MTBIG G
Road Warrior

Received 968 Likes on 556 Posts

Sounds like the oil pump is heading south.

Old 03-12-2018, 07:13 PM
VDeuce
Road Warrior
Received 403 Likes on 257 Posts

Did you perform the pump alignment procedure when you did the cam? Did you look at the pump manufacture date wheel to note the date?

You can also perform the M1450 sumping procedure and see how much oil is drained when you pull the crank sensor.

Or you can take it to the dealer and let them do what they do. And wait.

Old 03-12-2018, 07:16 PM
psyshack
Road Warrior
Received 363 Likes on 266 Posts

Either the switch is fubar or the oil pump is fubar. When my oil pump went south the light never came on. It started coming on two weeks or so ago. I went and bought another china oil pressure switch and installed it and also checked the oil pressure for the 50th time. All was fine. Just a junk HD part...

Old 03-12-2018, 09:09 PM
TAKITO SEXY
Tourer

Originally Posted by TriGeezer
If the oil level is correct, I’d take it to the dealer.
It was over filled to be honest, not by much but nonetheless. Pulled plug & will double check tomorrow.

Originally Posted by MTBIG G
Sounds like the oil pump is heading south.
This is exactly what l didn’t want to read. Lol. Hope you are not right in this case!

Originally Posted by VDeuce
Did you perform the pump alignment procedure when you did the cam? Did you look at the pump manufacture date wheel to note the date?

You can also perform the M1450 sumping procedure and see how much oil is drained when you pull the crank sensor.

Or you can take it to the dealer and let them do what they do. And wait.
Oil pump was not removed nor tampered when l did the cam swap. Neither l touched the gerotor, manual did specify to not move them as it could lead to malfunction. Not sure what you mean by correctly aligning it, can you elaborate?

l was not aware of M1450 bulletin, just Googled it & is a place to start. Will try the procedure tonrrow to see how many ounces it pukes out. I have not experienced any power loss at all.

Originally Posted by psyshack
Either the switch is fubar or the oil pump is fubar. When my oil pump went south the light never came on. It started coming on two weeks or so ago. I went and bought another china oil pressure switch and installed it and also checked the oil pressure for the 50th time. All was fine. Just a junk HD part...
Same here, been a couple weekds since l did the cam swap and just yesterday & today the light came on. Like l said in the reply above, l have not experienced any power loss at all.
So did you replace the oil pressure switch? Or the oil pump?
How did you find out your pump went south?

Old 03-12-2018, 10:16 PM
VDeuce
Road Warrior
Received 403 Likes on 257 Posts

If you remove the cam plate, you need to allow the pump to find its natural center when you are tightening the 4 pump screws to the cam plate. The m1450 procedure contains an updated alignment process. You leave the pump screws loose and rotate the engine 360 degrees then tighten the pump screws.

Last edited by VDeuce; 03-12-2018 at 10:18 PM.
Old 03-12-2018, 10:18 PM
pittz5
Road Warrior
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

[QUOTE=TAKITO SEXY;17175165]

It was over filled to be honest, not by much but nonetheless. Pulled plug & will double check tomorrow.

This is exactly what l didn’t want to read. Lol. Hope you are not right in this case!

Oil pump was not removed nor tampered when l did the cam swap. Neither l touched the gerotor, manual did specify to not move them as it could lead to malfunction. Not sure what you mean by correctly aligning it, can you elaborate?

l was not aware of M1450 bulletin, just Googled it & is a place to start. Will try the procedure tonrrow to see how many ounces it pukes out. I have not experienced any power loss at all.

Same here, been a couple weekds since l did the cam swap and just yesterday & today the light came on. Like l said in the reply above, l have not experienced any power loss at all.
So did you replace the oil pressure switch? Or the oil pump?
How did you find out your pump went south

If you pulled cam plate and left oil pump in cam chest you have to realign the pump. when you bolt the cam plate back on there is a process to align it. There is a sequence to tighten bolts then rotate motor 360 degrees then tq down.

Old 03-12-2018, 10:25 PM
saltlick
Road Warrior
Received 232 Likes on 175 Posts

9 times out of 10 whatever goes wrong when you just replaced something on your bike or fixed something is directly related to what you touched. Its kinda rare to have someone change the oil and "wow changed the oil today, and all of a sudden my bike wont start" and its not related to something he did while changing the oil (whether its bumping into something, knocking a wire loose ect.) so backtrack what you did and what you touched last time you worked on it.

Last edited by saltlick; 03-12-2018 at 10:27 PM.
The following users liked this post:
username not valid (03-26-2018)
Old 03-13-2018, 01:14 PM
TAKITO SEXY
Tourer

Originally Posted by VDeuce
If you remove the cam plate, you need to allow the pump to find its natural center when you are tightening the 4 pump screws to the cam plate. The m1450 procedure contains an updated alignment process. You leave the pump screws loose and rotate the engine 360 degrees then tighten the pump screws.
I see it now in the manual instructions, completely ovelooked at rotating the crank pin 360°. For some reason I read it as rotating the bolt one full turn out, then tightening to final torque. *facepalm*

I am taking it apart to re-align oil pump today, hope to finish it up tomorrow. Will check for sumping after re-assembly as it seems overkill now. I am not losing any power in any gear.

[QUOTE=pittz5;17175339]

Originally Posted by saltlick
9 times out of 10 whatever goes wrong when you just replaced something on your bike or fixed something is directly related to what you touched. Its kinda rare to have someone change the oil and "wow changed the oil today, and all of a sudden my bike wont start" and its not related to something he did while changing the oil (whether its bumping into something, knocking a wire loose ect.) so backtrack what you did and what you touched last time you worked on it.

True, I just find it weird it took almost two weeks for the light to lit up. It is what it is now and will come apart after checking for sumping.

Quick Reply: Oil light comes on when stopped.