Sponsored by:

2018 Front Shocks

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2018, 05:16 AM
PFWiz
Stellar HDF Member

Received 378 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by Max Headflow
I don't see any mention of how these mods compare to stock M8 forks. Are you guys planning on doing one?

Add: will these mods work on an M8?
They just have a bunch of quasi official looking road tests, each of which tells how their stuff is ALWAYS better than the competition. It is truly amazing that they don't sell one thing that is not #1 in it's catagory.

It is quite the coincidence don't you think....

Old 03-16-2018, 06:35 AM
lyork
Stellar HDF Member
Received 450 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by PFWiz
They just have a bunch of quasi official looking road tests, each of which tells how their stuff is ALWAYS better than the competition. It is truly amazing that they don't sell one thing that is not #1 in it's catagory.

It is quite the coincidence don't you think....
I don’t think that’s the case at all. I don’t read into it that they are saying the Ohlins or the legend’s are inferior to what they sell. They are simply rating the products they have. No mention is made of the others

Old 03-16-2018, 07:47 AM
SWThomas
Stellar HDF Member
Received 995 Likes on 591 Posts

One of the first things I did when I purchased my 2017 RGS is replace the garbage suspension components with Ohlins. I got the 2-2B rear shocks and the FKC 102 front fork cartridges from MM. Both were valved and sprung in accordance with my input to Howard. I am very satisfied with these upgrades. If you have specific questions about the fork cartridges just ask.

IMO, the "new" HD suspension is garbage. No fluid change (polishing the turd) will change that. There is no comparison between any HD suspension component and a quality suspension component like Ohlins and others. The ride is greatly improved when riding in a straight line, but the greatest noticeable improvement is when riding over road imperfections when cornering. The responsiveness and stability is a dramatic improvement over the stock suspension.

The following users liked this post:
lyork (03-16-2018)
Old 03-16-2018, 11:33 AM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,252 Likes on 3,626 Posts

Originally Posted by SWThomas
One of the first things I did when I purchased my 2017 RGS is replace the garbage suspension components with Ohlins. I got the 2-2B rear shocks and the FKC 102 front fork cartridges from MM. Both were valved and sprung in accordance with my input to Howard. I am very satisfied with these upgrades. If you have specific questions about the fork cartridges just ask.

IMO, the "new" HD suspension is garbage. No fluid change (polishing the turd) will change that. There is no comparison between any HD suspension component and a quality suspension component like Ohlins and others. The ride is greatly improved when riding in a straight line, but the greatest noticeable improvement is when riding over road imperfections when cornering. The responsiveness and stability is a dramatic improvement over the stock suspension.
I would argue stability. While Ohlins are a better match of plushness and response to rough surfaces, the current offering is stable but not as plush. I'm not sure that add $1000 or more to the cost of the vehicle is worth while for the average HD rider. They are more interested in chrome and sound.

Blowing a couple grand to improve handing is definitely worth while for a few. Some people just don't like messing with their bikes. Some of us like too see what we can do as bang for the buck. Many times small changes can be pretty significant. For instance the 06 to 08 front touring suspension can be improved dramatically with only springs, oil and a tweak to the valving. The front end valving on the M8s has potential.. Might need an emulator tho..

Add:

While the rear shocks are better than previous versions, they do leave a lot to be desired and are not tweak-able other than preload.

Last edited by Max Headflow; 03-16-2018 at 11:36 AM. Reason: Add:
Old 03-16-2018, 01:53 PM
AFSOC_Commando
Tourer
Received 134 Likes on 88 Posts

Well all I know is I am putting Progressive Monotubes in the front of mine and 944's at the rear.

I ride more than many folks from the comments I see on this board and my buddies whom ride. I have 15k miles on mine in 6 months before winter hit and expect to add another 5k before she is a year old and I am not impressed at all with this suspension. I read comments from guys coming from earlier bike saying how much better the new suspension is and my first thought is how F'in bad was the old?

I love my bike, but as much as I ride I want to not cringe at every road imperfection. I keep my vehicles until they are no longer able to function or be repaired so I don't mind improving on what I like. If I only rode 5k miles a year then I would be OK with stock.

Old 03-16-2018, 02:08 PM
tbob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 690 Likes on 465 Posts

I sold my 16 and the buyer stated one of the reason's was the suspension had been done.
Same on my 15 RGS and the 14 Ultra . People are really picky handing money over to a private seller.

Last edited by tbob; 03-16-2018 at 02:12 PM.
Old 03-16-2018, 03:29 PM
SWThomas
Stellar HDF Member
Received 995 Likes on 591 Posts

Originally Posted by Max Headflow
I would argue stability. While Ohlins are a better match of plushness and response to rough surfaces, the current offering is stable but not as plush. I'm not sure that add $1000 or more to the cost of the vehicle is worth while for the average HD rider. They are more interested in chrome and sound.

Blowing a couple grand to improve handing is definitely worth while for a few. Some people just don't like messing with their bikes. Some of us like too see what we can do as bang for the buck. Many times small changes can be pretty significant. For instance the 06 to 08 front touring suspension can be improved dramatically with only springs, oil and a tweak to the valving. The front end valving on the M8s has potential.. Might need an emulator tho..

Add:

While the rear shocks are better than previous versions, they do leave a lot to be desired and are not tweak-able other than preload.
I agree that the average HD rider likely won't upgrade the suspension and is satisfied with the stock junk. Most of them have never ridden on a quality suspension and don't know what they're missing out on.

The following users liked this post:
tbob (03-16-2018)
Old 03-17-2018, 02:21 AM
Peter Quinn
Road Captain
Received 158 Likes on 119 Posts
Default Rushmore and m8 Suspension

Originally Posted by SWThomas

I agree that the average HD rider likely won't upgrade the suspension and is satisfied with the stock junk. Most of them have never ridden on a quality suspension and don't know what they're missing out on.
Are you riding M8 of any kind? The new Emulsion filled adjustable rear and Dual bending valve fronts are way ahead of anything Harley have ever provided!
You would have to be very picky to find a need to upgrade these shocks!
The old conventional and air pump adjustable tour shocks on pre Rushmore models also drove me to venture into Progressive Air Draggers and Dirty Air air cushions.
I am sure that any new converts out there will be more than satisfied to retain this excellent system.

Old 03-17-2018, 04:54 AM
tbob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 690 Likes on 465 Posts

Originally Posted by Peter Quinn
Are you riding M8 of any kind? The new Emulsion filled adjustable rear and Dual bending valve fronts are way ahead of anything Harley have ever provided!
You would have to be very picky to find a need to upgrade these shocks!
The old conventional and air pump adjustable tour shocks on pre Rushmore models also drove me to venture into Progressive Air Draggers and Dirty Air air cushions.
I am sure that any new converts out there will be more than satisfied to retain this excellent system.
The front is better but not great.The rear would depend if you have a 12" or 13" shock. Still most people don't understand a shock is a sponge and it needs
to have dual adjustment to help keep that traction patch. The stock rear shock just can't do that. You are correct most people with a 13" shock in the rear and stock front will be happy. Then you have guys that have tried better and know. SW Thomas was pretty much dead on what he stated.

Last edited by tbob; 03-17-2018 at 05:02 AM.
Old 03-17-2018, 09:17 AM
Peter Quinn
Road Captain
Received 158 Likes on 119 Posts

[QUOTE=tbob;17188846]The front is better but not great.The rear would depend if you have a 12" or 13" shock. Still most people don't understand a shock is a sponge

The 12" Emulsion shock is still better than the old 12" Airshock but you are absolutely correct that the lowered shock has too little stroke.
I felt that myself so after 8000 miles I swapped them out for a pair of 13" off a M 8 Ultra. Lowered back to stock height with Tamarak kit and all smiles even on sub standard roads!

Quick Reply: 2018 Front Shocks