Milwaukee Eight (M8) 2017 and up M8 Air and Liquid Cooled discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2018 Front Shocks

Old 03-18-2018, 12:13 PM
CanadianRocky
Club Member
Received 20,080 Likes on 8,912 Posts

I put 18,000 miles on my M8 last year, with one ride at 13,000 miles alone. That was from BC to California to Fairbanks to Ontario and back home through the Heartland. Of course, about 3 or 4 thousand miles of that was in Northern BC, The Yukon and Alaska. There are two seasons up there, Winter and Construction. I had the stock front and rear suspension and never noticed any issues. Maybe I might have seen a difference between the factory stuff and custom, but not enough to make me want to drop a couple grand on finding out.

The only time I noticed she was difficult to handle was in rush hour in San Fransisco and on the seal coating on the Alcan. Of course, I dont go light, when I am gone for 10 weeks either.

Now, if a manufacturer wants to donate a set of what ever I will get them installed and do a detailed report..... I would like to go back to Alaska.....LOL.

Loaded for the Alcan....

The following 2 users liked this post by CanadianRocky:
Midnight Blue Rider (03-28-2018), Peter Quinn (03-18-2018)
Old 03-18-2018, 05:48 PM
SWThomas
Stellar HDF Member
Received 993 Likes on 590 Posts

Originally Posted by lyork
I had never heard of Traxxion Dynamics before. Thank you for mentioning them, it’s always nice to hear of other options.

Does anyone have more information on Howard’s option for the front ? I thought he was working on something new ??
I got my FKC102 cartridges from Howard.

Old 03-18-2018, 05:54 PM
SWThomas
Stellar HDF Member

[QUOTE=Peter Quinn;17192264]
Originally Posted by SWThomas

. And the M8 suspension is just polishing the turd. I absolutely love my M8 and am definitely not trying to deter prospective buyers from purchasing one.

You should sign up for anger management counseling.Youre not going to convince anyone that you don't keep grinding the Axe on Harley at every turn!
Fake **** Leftist? Polishing the Turd,Garbage,plastic suspension.
Really! you Love your M8! Maybe the shrink will have you in for more than just Anger management?
Rushmore was 4 years ago,the back suspension has had two upgrades and the front was done again not 2years ago.The current 2017 suspension is the best they ever have had. Guys don't be put off,buy it ,ride it and if you have the notion customize it!
Let's stop this vulgar negativity and give credit where it is due!

LOL! The only negative thing I've ever posted about ANY HD motorcycle is the **** poor suspension. I've never posted anything else that could even remotely be considered derogatory about HD. Nice try though.

If you don't mind, please enlighten me on the "two upgrades" that have been done to the rear suspension since the Rushmore was released. Because a buddy of mine has a 2014 Rushmore and it has the same rear shocks that came on my 2017 RGS.

Last edited by SWThomas; 03-18-2018 at 05:56 PM.
Old 03-18-2018, 06:12 PM
lyork
Stellar HDF Member
Received 450 Likes on 318 Posts

I got my FKC102 cartridges from Howard.
Thanks for the update. Did you install them yourself? If so, how difficult was it ?

I think the front end is a lot better on the 17’s than what was on my 14 though, so I doubt I upgrade the front. We will have to see after I try out the Ohlins and Pro Actions on the rear

Old 03-18-2018, 09:32 PM
FLSTFI Dave
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,934 Likes on 2,342 Posts

Originally Posted by tbob
I have legends front and rear and they are amazing.
Did you go with 13" or 12" on the rear? Is the front a big improvement over stock?

This 18 CVO has the best front suspension out of the factory of any Harley I have owned. That said, I know the legends front end on my 13 CVO King is better. I replaced the rear 12" on the King with 13 Ohlins which quickly showed me how bad the front was, so I changed that 8 months later.

I agree that the average HD rider likely won't upgrade the suspension and is satisfied with the stock junk. Most of them have never ridden on a quality suspension and don't know what they're missing out on.
I fully agree. Most have never been on good suspension. Many think HD air is real good. My 15 CVO Road glide Ultra I took back to dealer with 500 miles on it, complaining the rear end sucked, and felt like it would wash out in the corners. Never could get it set rigth. 1K miles and Ohlins when on the back, it handled much better, even better than the 12 CVO road glide I was comparing the 15 to.

Many will not push a Harley hard enough to realize the stock suspension on the pre 15 bikes was actually borderline dangerous. Even the newer ones are not that good.

Originally Posted by Peter Quinn
This has to rate as Hate Speech.Harley come out with Race bike technology,
Variable, bi directional damping and completely revised internals!
You seem determined to drag Harley down and Infect prospective buyers with your Myopic view! Discarding all of their effort with two words,garbage and plastic!
Do us a favor and put your considerable intellect and experience into something of positive value!
Race bike technology? Your joking, I do not see inverted front forks, with dual cartridges and nitrogen. Loads of room for improvement in a Factory Harley with out even going to race bike technology. While the Front is improved, it is far from state of the art road bike technology let alone race bike technology. The rear shocks are to short also, should all be 13" vice the 12" to look cool and ride like crap. Rear is also far from race bike technology, they are not compression and rebound adjustable, they do not have remote nitrogen reservoirs.

I love my Harleys, all three of mine and both my wife's. However I know their suspension was junk until 2014. I know its only Okay now. Loads of room for improvement, front and rear.

Old 03-18-2018, 10:02 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,225 Likes on 3,608 Posts

Originally Posted by FLSTFI Dave
I love my Harleys, all three of mine and both my wife's. However I know their suspension was junk until 2014. I know its only Okay now. Loads of room for improvement, front and rear.
I take it one wife doesn't know about the other..

Old 03-19-2018, 02:18 AM
FLSTFI Dave
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,934 Likes on 2,342 Posts

Originally Posted by Max Headflow
I take it one wife doesn't know about the other..
Got me, I meant both bikes my wife has....

Old 03-19-2018, 04:36 AM
tbob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 690 Likes on 465 Posts

Originally Posted by FLSTFI Dave
Did you go with 13" or 12" on the rear? Is the front a big improvement over stock?

This 18 CVO has the best front suspension out of the factory of any Harley I have owned. That said, I know the legends front end on my 13 CVO King is better. I replaced the rear 12" on the King with 13 Ohlins which quickly showed me how bad the front was, so I changed that 8 months later.

I fully agree. Most have never been on good suspension. Many think HD air is real good. My 15 CVO Road glide Ultra I took back to dealer with 500 miles on it, complaining the rear end sucked, and felt like it would wash out in the corners. Never could get it set rigth. 1K miles and Ohlins when on the back, it handled much better, even better than the 12 CVO road glide I was comparing the 15 to.

Many will not push a Harley hard enough to realize the stock suspension on the pre 15 bikes was actually borderline dangerous. Even the newer ones are not that good.

Race bike technology? Your joking, I do not see inverted front forks, with dual cartridges and nitrogen. Loads of room for improvement in a Factory Harley with out even going to race bike technology. While the Front is improved, it is far from state of the art road bike technology let alone race bike technology. The rear shocks are to short also, should all be 13" vice the 12" to look cool and ride like crap. Rear is also far from race bike technology, they are not compression and rebound adjustable, they do not have remote nitrogen reservoirs.

13" and yes night and day better.and the front you notice in turns and ride also.

Old 03-19-2018, 06:13 AM
SWThomas
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by lyork
Thanks for the update. Did you install them yourself? If so, how difficult was it ?

I think the front end is a lot better on the 17’s than what was on my 14 though, so I doubt I upgrade the front. We will have to see after I try out the Ohlins and Pro Actions on the rear
The install was very easy. You will need a few special tools for the job though. Howard's sells them as a reasonable price.

Old 03-19-2018, 12:06 PM
PFWiz
Stellar HDF Member

Received 378 Likes on 228 Posts

[QUOTE=Peter Quinn;17192264]
[left]
. And the M8 suspension is just polishing the turd. I absolutely love my M8 and am definitely not trying to deter prospective buyers from purchasing one.

You should sign up for anger management counseling.Youre not going to convince anyone that you don't keep grinding the Axe on Harley at every turn!
Fake **** Leftist? Polishing the Turd,Garbage,plastic suspension.
Really! you Love your M8! Maybe the shrink will have you in for more than just Anger management?
Rushmore was 4 years ago,the back suspension has had two upgrades and the front was done again not 2years ago.The current 2017 suspension is the best they ever have had. Guys don't be put off,buy it ,ride it and if you have the notion customize it!
Let's stop this vulgar negativity and give credit where it is due!

I agree the new suspension is "the best they (HD) ever had." Unfortunately that does not make it good, just better that the terrible my 2011 RGU came with.
Better than terrible is not the same thing as good.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2018 Front Shocks