Sponsored by:

Some issues with my '017....

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2018, 10:40 PM
CanadianRocky
Club Member
Received 20,080 Likes on 8,912 Posts

Originally Posted by mjwebb
Lolo is an epic ride, one of my favorites! was right up there with Glacier NP, PCH1 Big Sur, Olympics & Orcas Island in the San Juans..gotta' say though..Lewiston is a FURNACE! 107 when we rolled into the HD dealership..almost wiped out on tar snakes that day..and seeing Moose Crossing signs when you're doing 90 tends to make you throttle back some! I just don't get why they let the Moose cross in this spot right in the middle of a long straightaway..they should make them cross somewhere else imo
Nice picts and good looking rides.... the shack on top of the pass is a nice place to stop and check out the road and history.... also the lodge just down the West side is great, I stayed there once...so quiet.

I lost the bearings just up the hill from Lewiston, had to hunt for a phone signal and wait in a piece of carved out shade by an old barn for the wrecker. Your right, itt can get damn hot in that area.

Old 03-17-2018, 10:54 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,504 Likes on 4,415 Posts

Originally Posted by CanadianRocky2
Nice picts and good looking rides.... the shack on top of the pass is a nice place to stop and check out the road and history.... also the lodge just down the West side is great, I stayed there once...so quiet.

I lost the bearings just up the hill from Lewiston, had to hunt for a phone signal and wait in a piece of carved out shade by an old barn for the wrecker. Your right, itt can get damn hot in that area.
yeah, we ate at Lochsa Lodge..it is so beautiful up there..can't imagine not riding motorcycles..seen and been to so many cool places I wouldn't normally see if i had to just drive my car

The following users liked this post:
CanadianRocky (03-18-2018)
Old 03-18-2018, 07:00 AM
painey
Road Warrior
Received 205 Likes on 103 Posts

Last year at the top of Lolo Pass, South West of Missoula Montana..... for those that have not, this is a bucket list ride

I wanna do this ride, its now on my 'Bucket List'

CanadianRocky (03-18-2018)
Old 03-18-2018, 02:04 PM
CanadianRocky
Club Member

Originally Posted by painey
I wanna do this ride, its now on my 'Bucket List'
You come off the top heading west after you have stopped at the Forestry building.... and you see the 99 mile sign, but you have already ridden quit a few miles of twisty road to get to it. You stop and take the obligatory picture and start off.... its downhill for a bit, then not so steep, but you start to understand that it is sweeper after sweeper after sweeper..... and the river is beside you on the left, the trees on the right and the mountains come off the valley floor and seem to tower over you.

And you get into this thing with the road, the river, the mountains.... and all time seems to have stopped....and the road seems to never end.... and time seems to slow down, even stop....and you begin to wonder when it will end, or even will it ever end, and you don't want it to end.... then you see another sign, and it says "Winding Road, next 77 miles" and you realize you have only be riding for 22 miles and maybe half an hour.....and it has seemed like you have been going for hours.

Then it hits you, Einstein was right.... time is relative, and it no longer has any meaning to you and what lays out in front of you, is not 77 miles, or an hour and a half of riding..... but a new understanding of time itself..... and a life time of memories of when you rode the Lolo.

The following 3 users liked this post by CanadianRocky:
lp (03-18-2018), mjwebb (03-18-2018), Slope (03-19-2018)
Old 03-18-2018, 02:14 PM
billbrummett
Tourer
Received 170 Likes on 99 Posts
Default clutch safety switch

I've had 2 switches replaced so far.....bike wouldn't start in gear and the switch effects idle. bad switch will cause loping and reaching. idle moves from 500 to 1100 rpm on it's own. makes it hard to fan clutch in traffic

Old 03-18-2018, 03:05 PM
CanadianRocky
Club Member

Originally Posted by billbrummett
I've had 2 switches replaced so far.....bike wouldn't start in gear and the switch effects idle. bad switch will cause loping and reaching. idle moves from 500 to 1100 rpm on it's own. makes it hard to fan clutch in traffic
Interesting. I have had a few idling issues. Nothing like yours though. I wonder if it was causing the bike to be less than controllable when I was feathering the clutch in 1st gear when in traffic in San Fransisco.

Old 03-18-2018, 06:41 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,504 Likes on 4,415 Posts

Interesting. I have had a few idling issues. Nothing like yours though. I wonder if it was causing the bike to be less than controllable when I was feathering the clutch in 1st gear when in traffic in San Fransisco.
San Fran..I've been bounced around less racing MX than riding thru Frisco..those city streets have taken a beating from earthquakes...couldn't wait to get out of the city

Old 03-19-2018, 06:42 AM
Fatarrow
Advanced
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

"...And you get into this thing with the road, the river, the mountains.... and all time seems to have stopped....and the road seems to never end.... and time seems to slow down, even stop....and you begin to wonder when it will end, or even will it ever end, and you don't want it to end.... then you see another sign, and it says "Winding Road, next 77 miles" and you realize you have only be riding for 22 miles and maybe half an hour.....and it has seemed like you have been going for hours.

Then it hits you, Einstein was right.... time is relative, and it no longer has any meaning to you and what lays out in front of you, is not 77 miles, or an hour and a half of riding..... but a new understanding of time itself..... and a life time of memories of when you rode the Lolo."

I absolutely love this description!!!! The first thing I've read that truly describes that feeling I get on the bike when everything is just right! Better than any drug I have ever taken!!!! THANK YOU!!!!!!

Last edited by Fatarrow; 03-19-2018 at 06:44 AM.
Old 03-19-2018, 07:17 AM
CanadianRocky
Club Member

Originally Posted by Fatarrow
"...And you get into this thing with the road, the river, the mountains.... and all time seems to have stopped....and the road seems to never end.... and time seems to slow down, even stop....and you begin to wonder when it will end, or even will it ever end, and you don't want it to end.... then you see another sign, and it says "Winding Road, next 77 miles" and you realize you have only be riding for 22 miles and maybe half an hour.....and it has seemed like you have been going for hours.

Then it hits you, Einstein was right.... time is relative, and it no longer has any meaning to you and what lays out in front of you, is not 77 miles, or an hour and a half of riding..... but a new understanding of time itself..... and a life time of memories of when you rode the Lolo."

I absolutely love this description!!!! The first thing I've read that truly describes that feeling I get on the bike when everything is just right! Better than any drug I have ever taken!!!! THANK YOU!!!!!!
You bet. If you have some time read this The Journeys Of Darla thread in Road Trips. There’s a bit more like it there.

Fatarrow (03-19-2018)
Old 03-20-2018, 06:42 AM
TomcatCV62
Road Warrior
Received 237 Likes on 189 Posts

My rear tire went out at 3000 miles too. Picked up a dang nail. When I need two tires, or maybe the next time I change a tire Ill just do both, I will get Michelin tires. I heard they are great riding tires.

Guys, I read on the forum sometime last year that the ceramic bearings are the best replacement bearing for the wheels. Anyone have any experience with these?

Quick Reply: Some issues with my '017....