Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steve Cole's & $tonecold's Cam Testing

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2018, 10:18 PM
Cazador
Received 3,323 Likes on 1,853 Posts

Originally Posted by dcfatboy

I would be interested in what you decide. I'm thinking along the same as you.
I have the ESP on my bike but I have almost another year on the factory standard warranty. I am coin tossing on what to do. Wait until the standard warranty is finished and get a refund on the ESP or just do what I promised myself and just ride a stock bike. There's some cosmetic things that I would like to do but nothing that is eating at me to do. The cam is the same thing. I would like more power but not at the cost of creating an unreliable touring bike. Besides the M8 has plenty of power as is. Just get on an Ultra with a 80 cube EVO or any previous power plant and stock is pretty impressive.
I also think that the cam change is just a peak into the rabbit hole.

The following users liked this post:
dcfatboy (11-09-2018)
Old 10-29-2018, 07:06 AM
lhgdale
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 56 Likes on 32 Posts

Thank you guys for all the work and info. I am sold on the RS468 for my 19 RGS. I was not even aware of this cam until reading through your testing.

The following users liked this post:
Bayou FLHR-M8-128" (11-15-2021)
Old 10-29-2018, 08:52 PM
Trainwreck43
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Same here. I think they may have talked me out of the S&S 550 since the 468 doesn’t require changing valve springs immediately...

Old 11-05-2018, 02:34 PM
Silent_Sapper
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

With the RS468 would a FP3 still be useable or would I need to upgrade to TTS tuner or ssomehting of the sort.

Old 11-05-2018, 02:47 PM
$tonecold
Club Member
Received 1,731 Likes on 927 Posts

Originally Posted by Silent_Sapper
With the RS468 would a FP3 still be useable or would I need to upgrade to TTS tuner or ssomehting of the sort.
You would probably need to call Vance & Hines to see what they can tell you about that. With the amount of overlap this cam has I know it was a bit of a tricky tune even with the TTS.

Old 11-05-2018, 03:12 PM
Silent_Sapper
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Contacted V&H they say they have maps for it and have tuned them extensively. Do you think their maps will be done right, already dropping $800 on install +cam cost. just need to know if i should prepare for needing a different tuner.

Old 11-05-2018, 04:11 PM
$tonecold
Club Member

Contacted V&H they say they have maps for it and have tuned them extensively. Do you think their maps will be done right, already dropping $800 on install +cam cost. just need to know if i should prepare for needing a different tuner.
If they have the maps and have tuned them then I think you would be OK. I don't know much about the FP3, but I know a lot of riders on this forum are fans, so they must have something going for them. I would go ahead and if you ride it and don't think it is optimum, then decide if you need a different tuner.

Old 11-07-2018, 05:35 AM
Tn.Heritage
Grand HDF Member
Received 183 Likes on 131 Posts

Personally, I think you will some on the table with the FP3, go to J&B Performance Facebook page and see where guys have come in with a FP3, they thought it was supposed to be better than sliced bread until they rode there bikes. Hopefully this will steer you in the right direction away from the FP3 and you'll use a Power Vision or a TTS tuner. There cheaper for a reason and in some things you truly get what you pay for !!!!

Last edited by Tn.Heritage; 11-07-2018 at 05:36 AM.
Old 11-07-2018, 03:38 PM
DeneFXDWG
Road Warrior
Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

So here’s a simple question to everybody following this great thread.
I’ve had a 2011 Road King, then 2015 Street Glide Special where both bikes I cammed and tuned.
Now I have a stock 2019 Stage 1 Road Glide and the smoothness is thru the roof. None of my previous bikes had manners like this bike down low in first, second or third gears, (however they were very smooth like my M8 in the higher gears).
Now after my warranty tanks, I’m thing Zippers, or TTS 150 cams for it.
In all honesty, after buggering with the stock Stage 1 map that I presently have, is my M8 going to take a surging step backwards with these cams and run like my old Twinkies did? All the motor combinations and cams that I ran did have comprehensive dyno tunes done to them.
Should I leave well enough alone if I want to keep my smoothness? Does an M8 run even smoother with a dyno and cams?

Old 11-07-2018, 05:40 PM
$tonecold
Club Member

Originally Posted by DeneFXDWG
So here’s a simple question to everybody following this great thread.
I’ve had a 2011 Road King, then 2015 Street Glide Special where both bikes I cammed and tuned.
Now I have a stock 2019 Stage 1 Road Glide and the smoothness is thru the roof. None of my previous bikes had manners like this bike down low in first, second or third gears, (however they were very smooth like my M8 in the higher gears).
Now after my warranty tanks, I’m thing Zippers, or TTS 150 cams for it.
In all honesty, after buggering with the stock Stage 1 map that I presently have, is my M8 going to take a surging step backwards with these cams and run like my old Twinkies did? All the motor combinations and cams that I ran did have comprehensive dyno tunes done to them.
Should I leave well enough alone if I want to keep my smoothness? Does an M8 run even smoother with a dyno and cams?
The RS468 is a rockin' cam, but it can get a little testy below 2000 rpm. The TTS 150 comes in a little later than the other cams we tested, but it made more horse power. I am really considering it for my 117" build. The cam that came closest to coming right off the idle like the stock cam was the TTS 100. It just pulls from the first roll of the throttle and has impeccable manners.

The following 3 users liked this post by $tonecold:
DeneFXDWG (11-07-2018), johnnynitro (11-07-2018), liberty.mike (11-07-2018)

Quick Reply: Steve Cole's & $tonecold's Cam Testing