Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Milwaukee Eight (M8) (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/milwaukee-eight-m8-198/)
-   -   M8 Cam Bearings (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/milwaukee-eight-m8/1225015-m8-cam-bearings.html)

TomcatCV62 03-26-2018 11:28 AM

Livewire? An electric motorcycle..... whats the point?

mjwebb 03-26-2018 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by TomcatCV62 (Post 17216214)

"Harley-Davidson Chief Financial Officer John Olin said the company will spend $25 million to $50 million per year over the next several years on electric motorcycle technology. The goal is to be the world leader in the electric motorcycle market. "

“The universal appeal of that product was the most astounding aspect of that initiative,” Levatich said of LiveWire during the call. “It gave us a lot of confidence that electric motorcycles have broad-based appeal. … They are going to sit alongside existing Harleys and garages as much as they’re going to create new interest in the sport.”

At any rate, Revival’s Stulberg says, the appeal of an electric bike is not mutually exclusive vs. that of one running on a conventional internal combustion engine. While the thumping sound of the latter is undeniably alluring, the flying feeling provided by the former matches it for pure riding thrill.

“This will only increase the respect that the brand gets,” he says. “At least finally, they can say that Harley does low-tech heritage and it does cutting-edge technology. They can do both. If Harley can do that, it’ll save the company.”

teedoff65 03-26-2018 12:10 PM

So expect a whole new world of aftermarket parts and upgrades to open up.

Duracell longer life harley batteries......samsung motherboards for the electric bike's dispays.....intel chips....on and on.....uggh

FatBob2018 03-26-2018 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by TomcatCV62 (Post 17216214)

Enormous torque, utter reliability, no maintenance. No oil changes, no cams, no lifters, no exhaust, no wrenching needed likely ever. You'd never have to visit another "which oil" thread again. No sumping. Nothing.

Probably not the first choice for a touring bike, but for around-town, it may very well turn out to be brilliant.

TomcatCV62 03-26-2018 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by FatBob2018 (Post 17216359)
Enormous torque, utter reliability, no maintenance. No oil changes, no cams, no lifters, no exhaust, no wrenching needed likely ever. You'd never have to visit another "which oil" thread again. No sumping. Nothing.

Probably not the first choice for a touring bike, but for around-town, it may very well turn out to be brilliant.

Your had me at, "Which oil thread" ....... Ill buy 2 please.

:icon_dance-tap:

FatBob2018 03-26-2018 12:44 PM

Forgot about this, this was a silly commercial and it's definitely got a big ol' Save The Planet" message, but maybe this helps some see why some folks may see the potential benefits of going electric...

teedoff65 03-26-2018 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by FatBob2018 (Post 17216359)

Dont forget....

No anything that makes a harley a harley.....

Not sure all progress is all good.

Screamin beagle 03-26-2018 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by Oldskewl (Post 17215861)
Go to bed!

HD sales are down because those of us loyal buyers are getting old. The younger generations are more interested in pussy hats and trans bathrooms than getting wind therapy.

exactly my point...the harley faithful have been putting up with the flawed bikes but the younger generation won't tolerate buying a 25k bike and then have to start immediately replacing parts, sometimes before it leaves the dealer. Now I'll go to bed

FatBob2018 03-26-2018 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by teedoff65 (Post 17216787)
Dont forget....

No anything that makes a harley a harley.....

Not sure all progress is all good.

Agreed across the board. Just pointing out that a big sea change is coming that could possibly appeal to customers to whom the current lineup doesn't appeal.

I like my Harley exactly the way it is. Would be interested in perhaps adding an electric bike to the stable, but definitely not looking to replace the current gas-sucking tire-shredding noise-making idle-shaking steel horse.

teedoff65 03-26-2018 04:36 PM

Sorry so funny I had to post this in two different threads. Lol