HDs4me
Cruiser
Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

and what if you're left handed?

Old 04-27-2019, 06:34 PM
areshaw
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Doesn't matter. You kneel on the ground beside the bike with bike running on the jiffy stand.The 24 inches is to get you away from exhaust noise and to the side of the bike - not straight up. Use the hand and ear of your choosing. Personally, I don't work on the engine while sitting on the bike.

Last edited by areshaw; 04-27-2019 at 06:36 PM.
Old 04-22-2020, 07:34 PM
areshaw
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bdgladish
Sorry to hit an old thread but wanted to see if anyone has heard this on an M8 from the cam chest area. I have a 2020 Road King with a 107 that I bought 3 months ago. Ever since new, when the bike gets warmed up, there is a buzzing sound that sounds like it is coming from the cam chest area. I only hear the noise when still at a red light or at idle. If I let the bike start to pull, the buzzing "seems" to stop. I took the bike in today for the 1K mike service and asked the tech to look at it. After a few hours and a long test ride, they came back with the answer that they had never heard this before and wants to contact Harley. Said the bike ran strong, and no metal flakes in the fluids. Here is a link to the video of the buzzing sound.
I can't believe the mechanic rode the bike anywhere. IMO the cam chest should have been opened immediately. The noise is abnormal. Something is rubbing/wearing in the case.

Old 04-23-2020, 04:51 AM
Agoober
Banned
Received 1,004 Likes on 713 Posts

From the OP

For those of you upgrading your cams in the M8 spend a little extra and replace the stock cam bearing.
Pic left is SE and right is stock one taken out after 11k miles.
Also, be aware a lot of the M8's are having issues with the plastic lifter plate that holds the lifters in place. They're cracking and allowing the lifters to spin, thus damaging the cam.

Never heard of the lifter cuffs shitting themselves and destroying motors IRL ?

Old 04-23-2020, 08:36 AM
rossn2
Road Master
Received 131 Likes on 73 Posts

Just did Stage II with Power Cam on my 2020 RG Limited. Replaced the bearing with SE Bearing and also installed S&S Lifter Cuffs..Cheap insurance on upgrading the parts!
And, oh the factory is putting way too much Loctite on the bolt that hold the Lifter Cuffs on and the dam thing breaks, then you have to use a heat gun and heat the area from inside the Cam Chest to remove the broken stud. S&S has a Utube video on the procedure. Oh, its tuned using SE tuner..

Last edited by rossn2; 04-23-2020 at 08:38 AM.
Old 04-23-2020, 08:53 AM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,516 Likes on 4,422 Posts

Originally Posted by rossn2
Just did Stage II with Power Cam on my 2020 RG Limited. Replaced the bearing with SE Bearing and also installed S&S Lifter Cuffs..Cheap insurance on upgrading the parts!
And, oh the factory is putting way too much Loctite on the bolt that hold the Lifter Cuffs on and the dam thing breaks, then you have to use a heat gun and heat the area from inside the Cam Chest to remove the broken stud. S&S has a Utube video on the procedure. Oh, its tuned using SE tuner..
and what is your opinion of it? don't see many opting for that one over the SE447..thanks

edit: never mind realized question was OT thread hijack, sorry

Last edited by mjwebb; 04-23-2020 at 10:36 AM.
Old 04-23-2020, 09:09 AM
sixguns
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,458 Likes on 755 Posts

If you think about it, replacing the lifter cuffs has proven to be more problematic than the cuffs themselves.Where are the failures of the OEM cuffs? In my opinion, changing out the lifter cuffs is one of those feel good things for folks that feel better not having plastic parts in their engine. Not that this forum is the gospel, but changing out the M8 cam bearing has also shown to be more problematic than the bearing itself. Old wives tales, remember to never set your battery on the concrete.

Last edited by sixguns; 04-23-2020 at 09:16 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by sixguns:
B00001 (04-23-2020), OldMike (04-23-2020)
Old 04-23-2020, 09:23 AM
OldMike
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,837 Likes on 1,212 Posts

Originally Posted by sixguns
If you think about it, replacing the lifter cuffs has proven to be more problematic than the cuffs themselves.Where are the failures of the OEM cuffs? In my opinion, changing out the lifter cuffs is one of those feel good things for folks that feel better not having plastic parts in their engine. Not that this forum in the gospel, but changing out the M8 cam bearing has also shown to be more problematic than the bearing itself. Old wives tales, remember to never set your battery on the concrete.
Indeed.
It's a solution to a non problem. I have not heard about a lifter cuff failure and I'm on these forums every day, but I often hear about broken lifter cuff bolts, I left mine alone.
I did change the cam bearing but I'm not hearing about their failure either. AND I'm not hearing about anybody being thrown out of a dealer because they have an aftermarket tuner, despite all the hand wringing that goes on about it here.

I'm done.

Last edited by OldMike; 04-23-2020 at 09:25 AM.
Old 04-23-2020, 10:33 AM
nightsterept
Road Captain
Received 342 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally Posted by OldMike
Indeed.
It's a solution to a non problem. I have not heard about a lifter cuff failure and I'm on these forums every day, but I often hear about broken lifter cuff bolts, I left mine alone.
I did change the cam bearing but I'm not hearing about their failure either. AND I'm not hearing about anybody being thrown out of a dealer because they have an aftermarket tuner, despite all the hand wringing that goes on about it here.

I'm done.
++++1

Agreed. There are numerous one-offs, or 'it happened to me' and it means every single bike made by harley is experiencing this failure. I am in the midst of making decisions on a cam upgrade myself and have encountered numerous suggestions.... Some excellent and some downright overexaggerated.

For the lifter cuffs suggesting to be upgraded, I have only heard about issues with breaking the actual Cuff bolts trying to replace them. Other than the stock ones being plastic and psychologically that must equate to being cheap and must mean they'll fail, is there numerous circumstances with them actually failing on M8s? Perhaps in a monster big bore build with higher than normal power than what was engineered to handle, but in general, are people stating these are somehow failing on a regular basis and therefore are room for concern? Sure I'll replace mine with the S&S ones if I buy a kit that includes them, I mean why not and I'll replace them if I install non-HD parts when I'm out of warranty. But I'm hearing stories saying "you better replace yours or else you'll be sorry".....what is the basis of these comments.

​​​​​

Last edited by nightsterept; 04-23-2020 at 10:42 AM.
Old 04-23-2020, 11:09 AM
BrandonSmith
Club Member
Received 2,222 Likes on 1,408 Posts

Originally Posted by OldMike
It's a solution to a non problem. ...
That's exactly what "cheap insurance" means to me every time I read those words.

Quick Reply: M8 Cam Bearings