Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2017 M8 Stage 4 Engine Disaster

Old 03-27-2018, 10:03 PM
tommy1727
Advanced
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by $tonecold
I know you are getting advice from all corners on this, but here's mine. Call Steve Cole. His business number is on mastertune.net. He may be able to give you some advice on reassembly that he is not will to put on the forum. I also saw that Cometics is making a gasket for the piston oilers that doesn't have the two sided tape like the ones from Harley. That would definitely be a plus.

I've also heard that Frank Drago has been doing some development work on the M8 cranks. I haven't talked to him lately, so I'm not sure what he's been up to, but he might have something for you. When Steve said it all needs to come apart and be cleaned properly I don't know if he meant the crank needs to be split or not. If it does then if it was me the crank and cases would be going to Frank to be split, then straightened, welded, plugged and a left side Timken installed. I'm not sure these motors need this, but I have a tendency to over do things. If I'm going back up with a big inch, high power motor I want it to have a lower end that is worthy of the upper end.

I did not know they had those gaskets. Will definitely check that out. I plan on actual buying new jets as well. Steve is a valuable resource and I do value his knowledge, observations and opinions.

Old 03-28-2018, 06:44 AM
TomcatCV62
Road Warrior
Received 237 Likes on 189 Posts

Wow, what a big job! Are you going to keep the thread going with pictures and status of what youre doing on the build? It would be fantastic information for us new guys to be able to follow along with this? It does sound like fun, building an engine like this. Something I dont think I would try but would certainly like to watch.

The following 2 users liked this post by TomcatCV62:
GPHDXLC (03-28-2018), madmat (04-03-2018)
Old 03-28-2018, 07:05 AM
jpooch00
Elite HDF Member
Received 265 Likes on 224 Posts

Looks to me like the second ring had an insufficient gap and bound up when the engine got hot. I saw this once on an airplane engine once and that's what the problem was. The piston looked just like yours.

A little chunk of the ring breaking off at the gap due to a manufacturing defect could do that too.

Just my opinion(s).

Last edited by jpooch00; 03-28-2018 at 07:09 AM.
Old 03-28-2018, 07:06 AM
CanadianRocky
Club Member
Received 20,047 Likes on 8,893 Posts

Originally Posted by TomcatCV62
Wow, what a big job! Are you going to keep the thread going with pictures and status of what youre doing on the build? It would be fantastic information for us new guys to be able to follow along with this? It does sound like fun, building an engine like this. Something I dont think I would try but would certainly like to watch.
I would like to watch it also. Even though this type of work is beyond my skill sets. Hopefully you can get some financial relief from MoCo.

The following users liked this post:
GPHDXLC (03-28-2018)
Old 03-28-2018, 12:52 PM
xupd42bmg
Road Captain
Received 59 Likes on 36 Posts

I'd like to know if the Hd warranty the build since .... 1 you did all the work... and 2 you have aftermarket parts in your build.. From everything you read on these forums HD is pretty much finding every excuse they can to avoid warranty claims..
I know this wont make you feel any better but my HD stage IV lasted till 1800 miles.. Dealer has had my bike for about a month but I finally get to pick her up this Saturday... My bike was built DEC 2017. They still installed new oil pump,cam plate, pistons and jugs.. I don't have much hope that this build is going to last either.. I wish someone would figure out whats going on with the sumping and find a fix.. Then lots of folks would do like you and go aftermarket and make some big HP!!!

Old 03-28-2018, 03:05 PM
CanadianRocky
Club Member
Received 20,047 Likes on 8,893 Posts

I was just in the shop getting a tire and asked the service rep about Stage 4 and warranty. He said as long as it is done when the bike is new, and the work is registered, it is covered under the warranty, even if you get the extended warranty.

I have never had an issue with anything covered under the warranty being replaced. So far that includes front and rear wheel bearings, heated grips, left side handlebar switches on my ‘017. ....... oil leak on my transmission and a few other things on my ‘09.

Also have had my bikes on the flat deck 3 times and all covered under HOG towing.

If I keep my ‘017 I will get The extended warranty next year.

Old 03-28-2018, 03:15 PM
Toner123
Tourer
Received 94 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by CanadianRocky2
I was just in the shop getting a tire and asked the service rep about Stage 4 and warranty. He said as long as it is done when the bike is new, and the work is registered, it is covered under the warranty, even if you get the extended warranty.

I have never had an issue with anything covered under the warranty being replaced. So far that includes front and rear wheel bearings, heated grips, left side handlebar switches on my ‘017. ....... oil leak on my transmission and a few other things on my ‘09.

Also have had my bikes on the flat deck 3 times and all covered under HOG towing.

If I keep my ‘017 I will get The extended warranty next year.
He is referring to a different program then the warranty most on here are referring to. So if you buy a brand new bike from the dealer. Any parts you buy new and pay to have the service department put on within 60 days of that bike being new are covered under the bike warranty of 2 years. Same thing applies to the extended warranty. If you install a stage 4 kit outside that 60 day warranty, harley offers a 1 year warranty on that kit.

so to give an example.
You buy a brand new 2018 street glide and 4 year extended warranty. You decided 30 days later you wanted to do a stage 4 kit. You buy the kit and dealer installs. The bike and the kit now have a 4 year warranty.

same scenario as listed above but you decided to buy the stage 4 kit 3 months after purchase of the bike. The bike has a 4 year warranty but the stage 4 kit only has a 1 year warranty from date of install. Also the extended warranty does not have to cover that stage 4 kit.

Old 03-29-2018, 09:24 AM
tommy1727
Advanced

Originally Posted by TomcatCV62
Obviously, I haven’t done much of anything yet. Waiting on Harley to make a decision on warranty for their Screaming Eagle parts. That call will more or less dictate my next move. I will keep this thread updated and take s few pics when possible.

GPHDXLC (03-29-2018)
Old 03-29-2018, 09:33 AM
tommy1727
Advanced

Originally Posted by Toner123
If they are indeed truly out of round and the dealer or you prove it, I think you will have a damn good chance to get moco to warranty it. That is a material defect from production and had nothing to do with anything you have on the bike or installation. Dig in bro and push back. That's what I was trying to say before, you would be amazed at how some dealers will go to war for you because they value their customers. Good luck and I am sorry this happened. Please keep us informed.

Thank you. I do believe the dealer is doing all they can for me and I am pleased with that. I have a feeling the mother ship will try and weasel out of doing the proper and honorable thing, but you don’t know unless you try. They have actually warrantied a different bike for me when it was actually out of warranty under good will, this is an entirely different scenario, but you never know. I have absolutely no compunction about sharing that decision, once made.

GPHDXLC (03-29-2018)
Old 03-29-2018, 09:36 AM
tommy1727
Advanced

Originally Posted by xupd42bmg
I'd like to know if the Hd warranty the build since .... 1 you did all the work... and 2 you have aftermarket parts in your build.. From everything you read on these forums HD is pretty much finding every excuse they can to avoid warranty claims..
I know this wont make you feel any better but my HD stage IV lasted till 1800 miles.. Dealer has had my bike for about a month but I finally get to pick her up this Saturday... My bike was built DEC 2017. They still installed new oil pump,cam plate, pistons and jugs.. I don't have much hope that this build is going to last either.. I wish someone would figure out whats going on with the sumping and find a fix.. Then lots of folks would do like you and go aftermarket and make some big HP!!!
Could you elaborate more specifically on what damage actually occurred and what they allege the root cause was?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2017 M8 Stage 4 Engine Disaster