Sponsored by:

Riding an M8.......

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2018, 06:49 PM
not a sock
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 983 Likes on 551 Posts
Default Riding an M8.......

Apparently I don't know how to ride a Harley, especially an M8.
After 500,000 miles of riding in 20 years on a Harley, I don't know how or when to shift gears, how to ride an M8 that is new or even break in one.

Two weeks ago, I went to the dealer to discuss the oil transfer of my '18 Ultra. The tech asked me if I knew how to inspect the Trans oil and to describe to him how I do it.
Also asked me; how I ride it; do I shift gears early/late or lug the engine excessively or run it too hard? This was also in reference to my '17 FLTRXS that I had traded in for the '18 Ultra.

Friday I got a call from the SM that my Ultra was ready (he didn't say fixed)
So he proceeds to ask me how I ride these bikes.
Same as I was asked above.

Guess this 'oil transfer' is my fault now...........

Flame on................

Old 03-27-2018, 06:53 PM
purpledeuce
Elite HDF Member
Received 642 Likes on 377 Posts

SOP, the tech will blame the customers or say it’s normal when they are unable to fix the problem

Old 03-27-2018, 06:54 PM
tbob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 690 Likes on 465 Posts

You need to take that bike to a new dealer.

Old 03-27-2018, 06:55 PM
Bubby
Cruiser
Received 90 Likes on 49 Posts

WOW! I think I get it. You can’t ride a bike as it was meant to be ridden, or at least that’s what THEY say!

Old 03-27-2018, 07:00 PM
Cowboy Rob
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 2,565 Likes on 1,497 Posts

I would have said “Shift?, ah crap I just left it in whatever gear it was in when I bought it, no wonder I can’t go over 55mph”.

Old 03-27-2018, 09:56 PM
sixguns
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,458 Likes on 755 Posts

Dealer tech's are like a box of chocolate. My 2017 stage III kept throwing an o2 sensor code when new, I was told the stage III was a performance build and I had to ride it as such so it was my fault. Finally they changed the sensor, must of used a lesser performance one cause the issue never returned.

Old 03-27-2018, 11:19 PM
SoCalHDMC
Road Captain
Received 160 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by Cowboy Rob
I would have said “Shift?, ah crap I just left it in whatever gear it was in when I bought it, no wonder I can’t go over 55mph”.

Old 03-28-2018, 06:35 AM
Cbyway
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 786 Likes on 467 Posts

HD dealerships are like fast food chains. Some are much better than others at doing the exact same thing. The dealer where I bought my bike has never done actually anything wrong and has always treated me well. However, the dealer I use which is 20 miles further away is far and beyond superior as far as I am concerned. The way they treat their customers is awesome. The shop area is clearly visible from the waiting room and you can actually see the work being done on your bike.

A couple of weeks ago I was in there on a Saturday to have some work done. It was actually St. Patrick's Day and the place was packed. Some guy came back to the service area from out of town and asked if there was someone who could check his air pressure before he headed back to Dallas. They pulled his bike into the service area, put it on a lift, placed the protective skirts on the fenders/tank/bags, checked air pressure and all fluids in about 10 minutes. During that time the Service Manager asked the man if he had time to have the bike washed. The man said he had all the time in the world and was in no hurry. 15-20 minutes later, they pulled his bike around and he was out the door and down the road. No charge.

The first time I went in there I was wearing a T-shirt given to me from where I bought my bike. A salesperson approached and introduced herself and asked what size T-shirt I wore. I told her, a couple of minutes later she brings me a bag with a T-shirt from that dealership in my size and said "Thanks for stopping by...please come back if you need anything for your bike". Also in the bag was a poker chip.

That would never happen where I bought my bike.

The following users liked this post:
G'day (03-28-2018)
Old 03-28-2018, 07:26 AM
mazz
Road Master
Received 193 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by not a sock
Apparently I don't know how to ride a Harley, especially an M8.
After 500,000 miles of riding in 20 years on a Harley, I don't know how or when to shift gears, how to ride an M8 that is new or even break in one.

Two weeks ago, I went to the dealer to discuss the oil transfer of my '18 Ultra. The tech asked me if I knew how to inspect the Trans oil and to describe to him how I do it.
Also asked me; how I ride it; do I shift gears early/late or lug the engine excessively or run it too hard? This was also in reference to my '17 FLTRXS that I had traded in for the '18 Ultra.

Friday I got a call from the SM that my Ultra was ready (he didn't say fixed)
So he proceeds to ask me how I ride these bikes.
Same as I was asked above.

Guess this 'oil transfer' is my fault now...........

Flame on................
is it possible he was asking" how you ride" because he wanted to know" how you rid" ...not insult you, maybe he is interested in a fix for this oil transfer and is gathering info or he is just being pleasant and asking general info..... i have read many of your post you don't appear to be a snowflake and easily offended usually

Old 03-28-2018, 08:12 AM
CanadianRocky
Club Member
Received 20,108 Likes on 8,922 Posts

I do find it interesting that many mechanics actually don’t understand the difference between Lugging & Labouring an engine. I would think it would be almost be the first thing they would teach anyone who works on an undersquare engine.

The following users liked this post:
Cbyway (03-28-2018)

Quick Reply: Riding an M8.......