Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Milwaukee Eight (M8) (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/milwaukee-eight-m8-198/)
-   -   Intake seals shot. (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/milwaukee-eight-m8/1225803-intake-seals-shot.html)

BCN 03-31-2018 10:22 AM

Intake seals shot.

Took my 17 Street Glide Special in for 1000 mi check up about 3 weeks ago, and got a great bill of health on it. while I was at the dealership I ordered a Stage 1 Kit. Brought the bike home which is 3 miles from the dealership, and put it away till I got the call 2 weeks later to bring the bike in for the upgrade. When I lit the bike up, I noticed it was at 1700-2000 RPM at idle. Brought the bike to the dealership, and let them know about the idle. Got a call the next day telling me that the intake seals are shot, and the intake has to be replaced too. There are also 2 more bikes in the dealership for the same reason, should be a couple of more days. I stopped by yesterday 03/30/18, and the bike is still waiting for the parts to come in. The dealership now has 5 more bikes with the same issue, and more dealerships are reporting the same problem. I was told HD is trying to figure out what is going on.

BCN 03-31-2018 10:36 AM

Bike has only 1048 miles on it. Never even shot me a code, which is kind of strange if I am getting more air in it.

mjwebb 03-31-2018 10:38 AM

weird story...haven't heard of that before..well it ain't costing you a dime so what the heck

SWThomas 03-31-2018 10:46 AM

Thanks for joining the forum and using 2 of your only 3 posts to let us know about this new “problem”. Sorry for your troubles.

mjwebb 03-31-2018 10:57 AM

maybe you could post the dealership name..just curious would like to ask them and know more about the 8 bikes (by your count) they have in all at the same time with this same previously unheard of 'problem'

SomeOld Biker 03-31-2018 11:19 AM

Hmm...

$tonecold 03-31-2018 11:24 AM

What is the build date on your bike? This sounds like it could be a bad manufacturing run on the intake seals or did the bolts holding the flanges on the intake back off? What exactly caused the failure? Enqiring minds want to know. I have three dealers within 15 miles of my house here in Arizona, I think I’ll take a ride today and see how many M8’s in this area have been affected.

sixguns 03-31-2018 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by mjwebb (Post 17231360)
maybe you could post the dealership name..just curious would like to ask them and know more about the 8 bikes (by your count) they have in all at the same time with this same previously unheard of 'problem'

Here is their phone number 1-800-bull-shit

BCN 03-31-2018 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by $tonecold (Post 17231422)
What is the build date on your bike? This sounds like it could be a bad manufacturing run on the intake seals or did the bolts holding the flanges on the intake back off? What exactly caused the failure? Enqiring minds want to know. I have three dealers within 15 miles of my house here in Arizona, I think I’ll take a ride today and see how many M8’s in this area have been affected.

$tonecold, I have to check the build date. Dealership says that the seals were shot, and the intake is made of plastic, which is deforming causing the seals to fail. Trying now to figure why I never got a code. I would think the O2 sensor would pick that up.

VDeuce 03-31-2018 12:25 PM

I recall hearing of warped intakes (they are plastic ) much earlier in the M8 life, but no update.