Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WHIM instead of amp/speaker upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2018, 09:06 PM
Road Star
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 412 Likes on 250 Posts
Default WHIM instead of amp/speaker upgrade?

Since an amp and speakers can get pricey and I want to have Bluetooth, I am thinking of installing the WHIM and just using helmet speakers. I am wondering about the quality of the sound through the Bluetooth though. I am not an audiophile, so I'm not going to be highly critical, I just want good sound. Hoping I can achieve this with just WHIM.

What do the experts say?

Old 04-08-2018, 10:03 PM
FurryOne
Road Master
Received 127 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by Road Star
Since an amp and speakers can get pricey and I want to have Bluetooth, I am thinking of installing the WHIM and just using helmet speakers. I am wondering about the quality of the sound through the Bluetooth though. I am not an audiophile, so I'm not going to be highly critical, I just want good sound. Hoping I can achieve this with just WHIM.
The WHIM will give you pretty good stereo audio when using the HD branded 20S EVO headset, but using any other brand headset will give you mono audio of a bit lower quality because the WHIM looks for H-D in the headset handshaking and if it doesn't see it reduces the quality of the audio. I have the WHIM and a set of Sena 30K headsets, and they're ok for me because I really don't care that much about tunes. The headset does have it's own FM stereo receiver which works fine.

Old 04-09-2018, 12:22 AM
RCUltra
Cruiser
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

I spent a boat load of money on the sound system on my SGS and it made no difference at speed. Sounded great parked though. On the new bike I added the WHIM with the HD branded headsets. The sound is good and far better than any stereo at highway speeds.

Old 04-09-2018, 04:50 AM
xupd42bmg
Road Captain
Received 59 Likes on 36 Posts

What is WHIM???

Old 04-09-2018, 05:35 AM
107inMO
Tourer
Received 122 Likes on 85 Posts

I’m getting ready to install the Whim. Does anyone know if I can listen thru the speakers and my wife listen to the same thing thru the headset?

Old 04-09-2018, 07:15 AM
fordhd2005
Road Master
Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by Road Star
I am thinking of installing the WHIM and just using helmet speakers. I am wondering about the quality of the sound through the Bluetooth though.
I'm not an expert but in my experience, the quality of sound is dependent on a few factors and the main one being the helmet you are using. I use a HD FF version of the Scorpion T510 (which I really like) and sitting in the garage, it sounds awesome. However, once I get going down the road that "quality" sound diminishes somewhat because I can't hear the bass. I don't mind it though because I really can't hear it through the speakers either when at highway speeds. The "quality" of sound is subjective but my opinion is, it's good enough.

Old 04-09-2018, 07:48 AM
Road Star
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 412 Likes on 250 Posts

Originally Posted by xupd42bmg
What is WHIM???
Harleys Wireless Headset Interface Module, the only way you can get Bluetooth from the factory radio.

Old 04-09-2018, 08:10 AM
RCUltra
Cruiser

Originally Posted by 107inMO
I’m getting ready to install the Whim. Does anyone know if I can listen thru the speakers and my wife listen to the same thing thru the headset?
Don’t think so. You can select speaker or headset for prompts, phone and music, but you can’t send either to both headset and speakers.

Old 04-09-2018, 09:54 AM
mikes300
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 482 Likes on 367 Posts

Originally Posted by RCUltra

Don’t think so. You can select speaker or headset for prompts, phone and music, but you can’t send either to both headset and speakers.
can you listed to music through the bike, and use the headsets as intercom only?

Old 04-09-2018, 10:50 AM
RCUltra
Cruiser

There are 3 options. Music/Media, Communications and Prompts. Communications seems to be phone and intercom, so it looks like you can listen to the radio through the speaker and set phone/intercom to headset. That's how I have mine set but just installed the WHIM and haven't played with it yet.

Quick Reply: WHIM instead of amp/speaker upgrade?