Sponsored by:

Music options on a M8 - Very simple question

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2018, 09:25 PM
itznin
Road Captain
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Music options on a M8 - Very simple question

I'm flying to Los Angeles and renting from EagleRider. Their fleet apparently is comprised of all 17+ M8 models. I requested a Street Glide specifically so infotainment is in play here.

My question is what are my audio options?
- Can I bring a flash drive with MP3 files on it?
- Does it have an AUX port on the front so I can plug in a small ipod nano?
- Does it have a CD slot still?
- Bluetooth from my phone? If so how is the quality? (This option is least preferred due to the drain of the battery)

Like I said simple question - Any and all comments are appreciated.

On a side note do they all have NAV capabilities? if Yes - Can I load a custom map to the NAV that I create in Google Maps?

Last edited by itznin; 04-13-2018 at 09:26 PM.
The following users liked this post:
mccpdx (04-13-2018)
Old 04-13-2018, 09:52 PM
teedoff65
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,474 Likes on 1,061 Posts

Originally Posted by itznin
I'm flying to Los Angeles and renting from EagleRider. Their fleet apparently is comprised of all 17+ M8 models. I requested a Street Glide specifically so infotainment is in play here.

- Bluetooth from my phone? If so how is the quality? (This option is least preferred due to the drain of the battery)

On a side note do they all have NAV capabilities? if Yes - Can I load a custom map to the NAV that I create in Google Maps?
Not sure the difference with non specials as far as music options. I have a special and yes have bluetooth. There is a USB plug so you can charge and play simultaneously. No flash drive and no CD player. How long since you road a Harley? Lol

Specials have nav. I'm not sure about loading custom maps. I think there is a way, just not sure the required format and process.

Also, none come standard with XM radio but is available with a separate tuner you have to purchase.

Last edited by teedoff65; 04-13-2018 at 10:29 PM.
Old 04-13-2018, 10:24 PM
Quik
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,572 Likes on 1,524 Posts

I listen to pandora 100% of the time on my phone through bluetooth, quality sounds great to me.

Old 04-14-2018, 07:20 AM
Roadie13
Stellar HDF Member

Received 1,005 Likes on 497 Posts

Assuming you get the 6.5 infotainment (no Nav in 4.3):

Yes, plug the USB stick into the cord in the storage compartment. If you have one of those phones that is the size of a small tablet it may not fit.

No aux port but bring a USB charger for the Nano and that will work.

No CD.

I Bluetooth iTunes all the time and the better half uses Pandora, no issues either way for us. Plug phone in while streaming or bluetooth and won't kill battery.

Yes you can load a .gpx file. The nav system isn't rocket science, but if you really want to use it save yourself some time and try to find the boom manual online and do some reading before you go. If you take the file with you on a stick, the dealer may be willing to load it for you. Beware that boom tends to deviate unless you use enough waypoints to keep it on the path you want. Not impossible, but not something I would screw with on a short trip. Punching in destinations and going is easy, custom stuff requires a little bit of time and finesse to learn the nuances of the system.

DtDeuce (04-14-2018)
Old 04-14-2018, 09:04 AM
5150northrider
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 206 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by Roadie13
Assuming you get the 6.5 infotainment (no Nav in 4.3):

Yes, plug the USB stick into the cord in the storage compartment. If you have one of those phones that is the size of a small tablet it may not fit.

No aux port but bring a USB charger for the Nano and that will work.

No CD.

I Bluetooth iTunes all the time and the better half uses Pandora, no issues either way for us. Plug phone in while streaming or bluetooth and won't kill battery.

Yes you can load a .gpx file. The nav system isn't rocket science, but if you really want to use it save yourself some time and try to find the boom manual online and do some reading before you go. If you take the file with you on a stick, the dealer may be willing to load it for you. Beware that boom tends to deviate unless you use enough waypoints to keep it on the path you want. Not impossible, but not something I would screw with on a short trip. Punching in destinations and going is easy, custom stuff requires a little bit of time and finesse to learn the nuances of the system.

this was well done I believe if you follow this you will be set.

Old 04-14-2018, 09:16 AM
madmat
Road Captain
Received 113 Likes on 106 Posts

I run my iphone 7 that fits in rgs glovebox either on blue tooth or plugged in, both ways sounds fine. I listen to itunes or amazon music most of the time. The rest of the time I listen to the bike

Old 04-14-2018, 10:10 AM
Bunker
Stellar HDF Member

Received 464 Likes on 305 Posts

Originally Posted by itznin

Yes, the 4.3 and 6.5 will accept a USB flash drive but there is a size limit if I remember correctly. I ran a 132GB drive that was FAT32 formatted.

No aux standard but you have to buy the aux adapter seperately

No CD slot

Bluetooth works but there are some limitations, you can check this and other questions here: https://www.harley-davidson.com/us/e...atibility.html

The 6.5 (on specials and Ultra's) is the nav capable, the 4.3 (on regular models) does not. You can create a custom route in Harley's Ride Planner and port it to the 6.5 (other options out there but require more tinkering)

Old 04-14-2018, 10:37 AM
FLTRI17
Stellar HDF Member
Received 599 Likes on 414 Posts

Originally Posted by Quik
I listen to pandora 100% of the time on my phone through bluetooth, quality sounds great to me.
Ditto!

Old 04-14-2018, 01:43 PM
Badbagger09
Road Master
Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

I listen to my iTunes music through bluetooth and it sounds great, the FM radio, not so great.

Old 04-14-2018, 07:39 PM
itznin
Road Captain
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Thank you all for the replies...

To be safe I'll have my ipod shuffle which can just play through plugging in with an AUX cord as well as a flash drive USB as a backup. I'll have my phone and charger so bluetooth will definitely be an option as well but will use that as my last resort.

madmat (04-14-2018)

Quick Reply: Music options on a M8 - Very simple question