Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Milwaukee Eight (M8) (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/milwaukee-eight-m8-198/)
-   -   First Oil Change Surprise (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/milwaukee-eight-m8/1228488-first-oil-change-surprise.html)

JHC210 04-16-2018 05:59 AM

First Oil Change Surprise

Just did my 1K fluid change (17 Limited) and was surprised by what came out. First off, oil appeared a little dark with very little metal/crud on the oil plug. Transmission about the same except a lot more metal/crud on the trans plug. Now the primary, the fluid looked very milky and there was a considerable more metal/crud on the primary plug. I have never seen primary fluid that milky. Is this because MOCO used Formula + or is something else going on?

One more issue, I expected to get more than 5 qts out total of all fluids. I barely got 5 qts.

jlombard 04-16-2018 06:12 AM

I would call the dealer to come pick up the bike and go from there.

Oz Dan 04-16-2018 06:20 AM

Don’t US dealers do the first service free of charge? Over here, if we touch em, unless a qualified mechanic, end of warranty. There again, we can add catless headers, any mufflers, any tuner and warranty remains intact. Nuts.

I’m guessing your dropped oils look weird because it’s being run in. Bike running ok?

nocarb 04-16-2018 06:24 AM

Originally Posted by JHC210 (Post 17278976)
Just did my 1K fluid change (17 Limited) and was surprised by what came out. First off, oil appeared a little dark with very little metal/crud on the oil plug. Transmission about the same except a lot more metal/crud on the trans plug. Now the primary, the fluid looked very milky and there was a considerable more metal/crud on the primary plug. I have never seen primary fluid that milky. Is this because MOCO used Formula + or is something else going on?

One more issue, I expected to get more than 5 qts out total of all fluids. I barely got 5 qts.

With no photos I'm assuming here.

Engine oil sounds normal.
Trans sounds normal also. I would not expect to see much crud after this though.
Primary will usually have lots of crud on magnet. Milky may be from sitting so much and having water from condensation in oil.

I don't know capacities on the M8 bikes.

KrustyKush 04-16-2018 06:41 AM

Sounds pretty normal for a 1k break-in service.

I would keep riding it, change the oils out again at 2k miles, and see how things look then.

6113_ 04-16-2018 09:46 AM

my primary was the same yesterday, milky look to it

Jay_FLHXS 04-16-2018 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by Oz Dan (Post 17279011)
Don’t US dealers do the first service free of charge? Over here, if we touch em, unless a qualified mechanic, end of warranty. There again, we can add catless headers, any mufflers, any tuner and warranty remains intact. Nuts.

I’m guessing your dropped oils look weird because it’s being run in. Bike running ok?

I'm sure we all wish the first one was free.... You can sometimes negotiate it for free when you buy the bike... But its usually $300 plus.

jdunn01 04-16-2018 09:59 AM

My guess is you changed the fluid while the bike was cold, or at least not run long enough to evaporate the condensation that accumulates in the oil, thus the milky look.

I always change mine after a days ride. Not necessary but if you drive it for 30 minutes or so it should evaporate the moisture.

SomeOld Biker 04-16-2018 11:08 AM

Primary oil seems normal to me after 1k break in.

mikes300 04-16-2018 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by Oz Dan (Post 17279011)

no, but this is why I always have the dealer do the first few services, you never know. in my case they found a very small oil leak at the rocker box cover so they replaced both gaskets under warranty.