Milwaukee Eight (M8) 2017 and up M8 Air and Liquid Cooled discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

3rd M8 Engine upgrade - Yep about to do it again!

Old 04-18-2018, 03:41 PM
Heatwave
Received 1,077 Likes on 638 Posts
Default 3rd M8 Engine upgrade - Yep about to do it again!

So some of you are aware that I'm on my 3rd engine on my 2017 CVO Limited. I won't go through the gory details but for thoses that are interested, you can read it here https://www.hdforums.com/forum/milwa...ddressing.html

I've had this 3rd stock 114 engine since Aug 2017. It runs really well and I'm confident in my ability to induce sumping however all efforts on this engine have shown no signs. It really runs great in all conditions and temps. But of course its still stock.

The MoCo has owed me a Stage IV upgrade under the factory warranty since last summer due to the previous 2 engines (stage IV) failing due to sumping. They made good by providing me a free 7yr ESP including the Stage IV upgrade. I waited through the winter to see if additional changes/or modifications were made to the Stage IV kits.

Obviously they have continued to make changes to the oil pump but otherwise there have been no further changes to the kit. So it goes back into the dealer shop for the stage IV upgrade to this 3rd engine. The install will be supervised onsite by the HD dealer rep and with support from MoCo Tech support. The install should be relatively straightforward using the latest instructions for installing the most current oil pump. I've attached pics of this latest oil pump version for those that are interested.

Hopefully a better outcome on this upgrade.

Last edited by Heatwave; 04-18-2018 at 03:45 PM.
Old 04-18-2018, 03:44 PM
tbob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 690 Likes on 465 Posts

Now is this the same bike you put a race tuner on and changed your post to cover it up?

The following users liked this post:
Eccool (04-25-2018)
Old 04-18-2018, 03:45 PM
stixvrad
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,072 Likes on 3,318 Posts

Good luck man.. I followed your horrible journey and wish you the best.

Old 04-18-2018, 03:50 PM
Heatwave

Originally Posted by tbob
Now is this the same bike you put a race tuner on and changed your post to cover it up?
Nope ...its a different engine .... all factory from top to bottom.

Last edited by Heatwave; 04-18-2018 at 03:52 PM.
Old 04-18-2018, 03:54 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,500 Likes on 4,412 Posts

"I've had this 3rd stock 114 engine since Aug 2017. It runs really well and I'm confident in my ability to induce sumping however all efforts on this engine have shown no signs. It really runs great in all conditions and temps. But of course its still stock.They made good by providing me a free 7yr ESP including the Stage IV upgrade."

3rd time's a charm! or 3 strikes and you're out! did you have the option of getting the free 7 year ESP AND reimbursement for the Stage kit? there's zero doubt in my mind under the circumstances that's what I would have done..especially regarding the comments:

"I've had this 3rd stock 114 engine since Aug 2017."
"It really runs great in all conditions and temps."
"induce sumping however all efforts on this engine have shown no signs."

rooting for you this go around big time, but you are much more trusting and confident going this route than I ever would have been and the thought of possible downtime being without my bike at the start of the main riding season is...sickening thought anyway

Last edited by mjwebb; 04-18-2018 at 03:56 PM.
Old 04-18-2018, 04:04 PM
Oldpanrider
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Make sure you check all of the clearances between piston and cylinder before you install the kit.

Old 04-18-2018, 04:45 PM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,359 Likes on 2,615 Posts

Hey look! It says "Made in USA!" I thought Harley only used Chinese junk! Looks to me like they use American made junk!

The following 3 users liked this post by Keithhu:
GPHDXLC (04-21-2018), moonie48 (04-24-2018), triumph900 (04-25-2018)
Old 04-18-2018, 04:56 PM
Heatwave

Originally Posted by mjwebb
"I've had this 3rd stock 114 engine since Aug 2017. It runs really well and I'm confident in my ability to induce sumping however all efforts on this engine have shown no signs. It really runs great in all conditions and temps. But of course its still stock.They made good by providing me a free 7yr ESP including the Stage IV upgrade."

3rd time's a charm! or 3 strikes and you're out! did you have the option of getting the free 7 year ESP AND reimbursement for the Stage kit? there's zero doubt in my mind under the circumstances that's what I would have done..especially regarding the comments:

"I've had this 3rd stock 114 engine since Aug 2017."
"It really runs great in all conditions and temps."
"induce sumping however all efforts on this engine have shown no signs."

rooting for you this go around big time, but you are much more trusting and confident going this route than I ever would have been and the thought of possible downtime being without my bike at the start of the main riding season is...sickening thought anyway

The 7yr ESP was provided at no charge after the second engine failure. The only other option choice was to get my money refunded for the stage IV PARTS but NOT the labor costs OR they would return the engine back to a fully warrantied Stage IV at no cost to me. It really just came down to “when” to make the upgrade. I figure by doing it now this engine and the Stage IV are still fully under the factory warranty for the balance of this riding season.

If it sumps and fails a 3rd time .... well .... they’ll just have to replace the engine ...AGAIN.... under warranty. Hopefully that won’t be necessary.

Last edited by Heatwave; 04-18-2018 at 05:32 PM.
The following users liked this post:
mjwebb (04-18-2018)
Old 04-18-2018, 04:59 PM
Heatwave

Originally Posted by Oldpanrider
Make sure you check all of the clearances between piston and cylinder before you install the kit.
Funny, I just asked that of the dealer and they said they would ask the dealer rep if HD would pay to have the cylinders sent out to a local machine shop to confirm they are within spec. We’ll see what HD says.

Old 04-18-2018, 05:09 PM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,359 Likes on 2,615 Posts

Originally Posted by Heatwave
The 7yr ESP was provided at no charge after the second engine failure.
Well ****. After my 2nd engine failure, they said they'd pay for my 1K service, and gave me a $500 gift certificate. I had already purchased the ESP when I bought the bike (stupid, will never do that again).

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 3rd M8 Engine upgrade - Yep about to do it again!