Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Warranty issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2018, 12:49 PM
Wills Wheels
Intermediate
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

If your friend bought the bike new and knows how to ride and not constantly slipping the clutch while underway then its a no brainer bike problem that needs to be fixed under warranty but if its like the little old lady that keeps her foot on the brake and gas at the same time and wonders why her brakes keep frying well its on him..cant imagine someone constantly slipping their clutch all the time though..most likely the clutch was never fully engaging or disengaging and dragging all the time.

Last edited by Wills Wheels; 04-23-2018 at 12:55 PM.
Old 04-23-2018, 01:27 PM
$tonecold
Club Member
Received 1,741 Likes on 931 Posts

Originally Posted by Oldskewl
The whole thing proves my stance on the moco.. if you buy and extended warranty, shame on you. Waste of money. The moco can and will claim abuse and nullify a factory 1 year warranty where you've done nothing wrong.
Should of just called Baker and ordered a new DD7. stronger and you won't get this kind of BS if it goes bad.
Well I personally agree with you about extended warranties, but most riders don't have the ability to fix their own bikes, so I can see why they do it.

The question I have about this is, did the bike have the transfer problem? It's possible the grinding in the transmission and the burned up clutch stem from oil being transferred to the primary.

I have a DD7 and a 10 plate clutch pack that I will install in the future. DD7 is a definite improvement on the stock transmission.

Old 04-23-2018, 04:27 PM
gerald martin
Road Master
Received 447 Likes on 292 Posts
Default extended warranty

Originally Posted by Mattbastard
Yup, extended warranties are for suckers and people who don't understand basic statistics.

People that say the above are quite slow minded

Old 04-23-2018, 04:41 PM
Bannana Boat
Road Captain
Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

Man, that sucks. Sounds like a dealer/service dept I would never do business with again.

Old 04-23-2018, 04:44 PM
$tonecold
Club Member
Received 1,741 Likes on 931 Posts

Originally Posted by gerald martin
Is it because it started with "Yup"? Personally, I won't leave a bike alone long enough for the standard warranty, so why would I want an extended warranty.

The following users liked this post:
Mattbastard (04-23-2018)
Old 04-23-2018, 04:55 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,519 Likes on 4,422 Posts

Originally Posted by $tonecold
Is it because it started with "Yup"? Personally, I won't leave a bike alone long enough for the standard warranty, so why would I want an extended warranty.
Vegas Odds would be heavily in favor of not purchasing an ESP

I won't because of the following:

by foregoing I already have 'applied' a couple thousand bucks to repairs just in case
they lump the RK in with all Touring bikes so the cost is the same which is not good value
my MC Insurance covers reimbursement for towing, hotels, etc.
they will do everything they can to try and weasel out of approving warranties unless it's cut and dried (that's claim adjusters job, to find ways to not pay)
I usually get a different bike every few years or so
I have an emergency fund
by spending a lifetime foregoing extended warranties and never been bit in the a$$ for that decision I'm waaaaaaaayy ahead and can afford to roll the dice this time once again

The following 2 users liked this post by mjwebb:
Campy Roadie (04-24-2018), Mattbastard (04-23-2018)
Old 04-23-2018, 05:27 PM
14GuineaPig
Stellar HDF Member
Received 510 Likes on 444 Posts

My experience has been the complete opposite. I bought ESP for each one of my 4 Electra Glides over the last 24 years. I have yet to lose money on any of them. My 1994 FLHTP needed base gaskets before the 4 year ESP was up. Broke even on that. My 2002 FLHTCUI dropped a valve guide @ 133,000 miles on the last day of the 7 year ESP ... covered along with assorted repairs over the previous 5 years ... I definitely won on that bike. Next up was a 2009 FLHTCU that had the crank replaced @ 65,000 (bad rod bearings) and @ 99,000 (spun the rightside crank bearing, new cases & crank. Each one of those repairs was in excess of $3000. I was so far ahead on that bike that it even if my 2104 FLHTK was perfect (which it wasn't) I would still be ahead. I never had a claim denied but I also don't do any mods to my bikes. I just ride them until the warranties are up or I decide I want a new one. Just my experiences.

ramblin5 (04-26-2018)
Old 04-23-2018, 05:33 PM
Mattbastard
Elite HDF Member

Received 1,408 Likes on 864 Posts

sure thing Jerry, enjoy your extended warranty.

Old 04-23-2018, 08:18 PM
gerald martin
Road Master
Received 447 Likes on 292 Posts
Default warranty

Originally Posted by Mattbastard
sure thing Jerry, enjoy your extended warranty.
I am. In the three years I have owned the freewheeler I have had front and rear master cylinders replaced, front wheel bearings replaced, full set of lifters replaced, compensator replaced, rocker gaskets replaced, breather valves replaced, both rear hubcaps replaced, and now they tell me that because my leak down test shows a 9 and 4 percent leak down that this fall they will be rebuilding my top end and maybe the bottom end depending on the crank run out. This bike has only 50,000 miles (80,000 kms) and it still has 4 years left on the warranty so I think I will be quite a bit ahead

ramblin5 (04-26-2018)
Old 04-24-2018, 09:22 AM
Oldskewl
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,906 Likes on 3,285 Posts

I am. In the three years I have owned the freewheeler I have had front and rear master cylinders replaced, front wheel bearings replaced, full set of lifters replaced, compensator replaced, rocker gaskets replaced, breather valves replaced, both rear hubcaps replaced, and now they tell me that because my leak down test shows a 9 and 4 percent leak down that this fall they will be rebuilding my top end and maybe the bottom end depending on the crank run out. This bike has only 50,000 miles (80,000 kms) and it still has 4 years left on the warranty so I think I will be quite a bit ahead
Sound like you should stop buying Harleys.

Originally Posted by 14GuineaPig
My experience has been the complete opposite. I bought ESP for each one of my 4 Electra Glides over the last 24 years. I have yet to lose money on any of them. My 1994 FLHTP needed base gaskets before the 4 year ESP was up. Broke even on that. My 2002 FLHTCUI dropped a valve guide @ 133,000 miles on the last day of the 7 year ESP ... covered along with assorted repairs over the previous 5 years ... I definitely won on that bike. Next up was a 2009 FLHTCU that had the crank replaced @ 65,000 (bad rod bearings) and @ 99,000 (spun the rightside crank bearing, new cases & crank. Each one of those repairs was in excess of $3000. I was so far ahead on that bike that it even if my 2104 FLHTK was perfect (which it wasn't) I would still be ahead. I never had a claim denied but I also don't do any mods to my bikes. I just ride them until the warranties are up or I decide I want a new one. Just my experiences.
Then you're one of the lucky ones. I think that $30M check the moco wrote to the EPA has changed things up in the warranty dept. Just from what I've seen.

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 05-03-2018 at 05:22 PM.

Quick Reply: Warranty issue