Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SE tune vs FP3 or other tuners

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2018, 12:46 PM
dbell66253
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I have a 16 with the FP3, A/C, Magna Flow headers, and RCX exhaust, definitely runs a lot better than when it was stock. I also have a 17 with stage 2 all SE stuff and the torque cam. I went with Harley parts because I didn’t want any hassle with the warranty. The 17 runs really good and will walk away from the 16 in any gear at any speed, so there is a difference. I also have a 2010 that started life as a 96, it’s now a 107 with S&S cams, head job, TMax, Dragos Dragula, and a few other things, the 16 or 17 don’t stand a chance of keeping up with it. That being said, for normal riding and touring I’m extremely happy with the 17 and torque cam. I hope this may help a little.

Old 04-23-2018, 05:58 PM
bigbadpoppa
Road Master
Received 127 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by Gordon61
Going back to the OPs original question, would you swop an SE tuner for an FP3 ...probably not. Plenty of tuning shops able to tune properly with an SE, Power Vision or TTS ...not so for the FP3

The other part of the question the OP may want to clarify ...are you looking to compare a "canned" map from SE against a canned map supplied by V&H? possibly pot-luck on that one.

If you are going to try "autotuning" the VE tables yourself then you can do that with both of them and probably get more or less the same results.

Warranty is the obvious question.
thank you...that was my actual question. Im very familiar with fp3 and PV. This isnt my first bike. I just wanted to know the SE vs these. Sounds like little to no change...time for Cams then. Thanks for your feedback.

Last edited by bigbadpoppa; 04-23-2018 at 05:59 PM.
Old 04-24-2018, 11:17 PM
FatBob2018
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,227 Likes on 1,267 Posts

My take on it: there's only one reason why anyone buys an SE tuner: the warranty. Use any other tuner and you immediately void your warranty. The only way to maintain the warranty is to use the SE tuner.

If your bike is already out of warranty, or you are fine with discarding what's left of your warranty, then using the SE tuner seems silly, when the other tuners are far more powerful and able to extract more performance from the bike. In that realm, you find the PV and the FP3. Between those, you'll find plenty of professional tuners who use the PV, and comparatively very few who use the FP3. The FP3 is generally used by end consumers, it's incredibly simple to use, and it does a really rather good job.

Old 04-25-2018, 02:11 AM
badcooky
Banned
Received 473 Likes on 370 Posts

After warranty I'll still have a SE race tuner is it capable of tuning close to the more advanced types of tuners on the market ? Or is it just as capable?

Old 04-25-2018, 02:32 AM
vonh12
Club Member
Received 391 Likes on 272 Posts

The sert is a different animal to the sest. I believer the race tuner will void your warranty. Prolly not available from harley anymore. I have a sert and with it you can adjust fuel.

Old 04-25-2018, 03:12 AM
badcooky
Banned
Received 473 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by vonh12
The sert is a different animal to the sest. I believer the race tuner will void your warranty. Prolly not available from harley anymore. I have a sert and with it you can adjust fuel.
Yea I know it can do timing,AFR's,decel enrich/lean ,VE tables,idle and a host of other duties BUT is it as advanced as the other options ?

Old 04-25-2018, 03:29 AM
vonh12
Club Member
Received 391 Likes on 272 Posts

I believe it is yes because you can modify anything with it. It just won't auto tune like a power tuner or tmax will.

Old 04-25-2018, 04:30 AM
Gordon61
Road Warrior
Received 124 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by FatBob2018
In that realm, you find the PV and the FP3.
mmm, lots of good reading, opinion, and advice in the Dyno Room forum for anyone that actually wants to know about tuning and the devices.

But, the TTS is widely regarded as having the best range of analysis tools in its "autotune" function than any of the others. Then lots of people really like the Power Vision (and you get a display for the handlebars with it ...if you are into that sort of thing). The SE is like the oldest version of the TTS but without the spark assist, EGR tuning, Camshaft tuning and few less tables to look at ...and the latest one is knobbled so that you only have limited adjustment in the AFR table etc.

The FP3 I'll let you read about yourself but as said, hardly any tuning shop will support it.

It's up to you, read the marketing *****, listen to the fanboys, go cheap as chips, whatever, your choice.

Old 04-25-2018, 04:46 AM
Gordon61
Road Warrior
Received 124 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by badcooky
Yea I know it can do timing,AFR's,decel enrich/lean ,VE tables,idle and a host of other duties BUT is it as advanced as the other options ?
Define advanced?
It's certainly not as advanced as the TTS. It doesn't let you see the camshaft timing tables (but neither does the Power Vision), and the EGR/CDE tables were not available either.

Plenty of pro tuners have been using it for years tho so like everything else in life ...it's horses for courses. You may be better spending money on a Pro tune, than changing the tuner and trying to DIY.

Tmax is a completely different kettle of fish.

Old 04-25-2018, 07:02 AM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,519 Likes on 4,422 Posts

"cheap as chips"
"horses for courses"
"different kettle of fish"

Gordon digging deep into the play book, love it!!!

Quick Reply: SE tune vs FP3 or other tuners