Sponsored by:

SE tune vs FP3 or other tuners

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2018, 08:34 PM
bigbadpoppa
Road Master
Received 127 Likes on 115 Posts
Default SE tune vs FP3 or other tuners

Hi all, so I'm looking to switch from my dyna to a M8 road glide possibly but I just ridden one and was a bit disappointed in the power. Although it's smooth, I "feel" my 103 dyna was still faster (stage 1 with fp3). I do understand my dyna is lighter so I'm trying to get the most out of an M8.

The bike I'm looking at has a Stage 1 but with a SE tune/flash. I had a SE tune before on my 103 engine when I first bought my dyna off the floor, and it sucked to be honest. I got the FP3 and wow, did the sound of the bike really open up after and also felt like the bike was breathing much better.

So my question: Anyone go from a SE tune/flash to a FP3? If so, was there any noticeable differences in power or sound (the m8 sounds very quiet even with pipes)?

I ask this...because if the differences are not much, I may have to consider then opening it up for some CAMS. I just need to budget myself and see if this used bike purchase is worth my time or not and what I'm looking at to make the bike I want it to be. I really like my 103 stage 1 with FP3, that itself is enough for me without CAM's.

Old 04-23-2018, 07:04 AM
Gunnysgt
Grand HDF Member
Received 503 Likes on 247 Posts

The biggest difference between the FP3 and similar tuners is you can adjust the fuel. The reason the Harley Street Tuner is EPA compliant is that you can not add fuel, it simply changes spark patterns to put it simply. The old days of simply buying a Stage 1 "flash" ended with the EPA fiasco I'm told. That is why Street Tuners are acceptable to warranty issues.

Old 04-23-2018, 07:13 AM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,528 Likes on 4,425 Posts

Originally Posted by Gunnysgt
The biggest difference between the FP3 and similar tuners is you can adjust the fuel. The reason the Harley Street Tuner is EPA compliant is that you can not add fuel, it simply changes spark patterns to put it simply. The old days of simply buying a Stage 1 "flash" ended with the EPA fiasco I'm told. That is why Street Tuners are acceptable to warranty issues.
this is what HD says about their ATM to go with the SEPST:

Utilizes wideband O2 sensors that read oxygen levels in the exhaust stream to determine the optimum air/fuel ratio, spark advance and timing your bike needs at this very moment
Incorporates the data and automatically makes real-time tuning adjustments to the ECM
Wideband sensors can read and help adjust tuning throughout the part throttle

it determines the optimum air/fuel ratio and incorporates the data and automatically makes real-time tuning adjustments.....sounds like AFR does change so doesn't that mean they do add fuel as necessary?

Old 04-23-2018, 07:43 AM
Harttoo
Road Master

Received 153 Likes on 125 Posts

If You compare AFR tables of SEPST and FP3,You will find them identical.So if You intend to adjust You AFR then FP3 is for You.Most people don't adjust AFR.Why I don't know?If You don't adjust AFR on your tuner,You might as well have a Street Tuner!

Old 04-23-2018, 07:46 AM
T^2
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,152 Likes on 720 Posts

Originally Posted by mjwebb
this is what HD says about their ATM to go with the SEPST:

Utilizes wideband O2 sensors that read oxygen levels in the exhaust stream to determine the optimum air/fuel ratio, spark advance and timing your bike needs at this very moment
Incorporates the data and automatically makes real-time tuning adjustments to the ECM
Wideband sensors can read and help adjust tuning throughout the part throttle

it determines the optimum air/fuel ratio and incorporates the data and automatically makes real-time tuning adjustments.....sounds like AFR does change so doesn't that mean they do add fuel as necessary?
That's some nice marketing language for the stupid tune pro ATM module. The language is written to take advantage of ignorance.

Long story short... It tries to do the same thing that your stock system with narrow band O2 sensors already does. It just interfaces wide band sensors to the ECM. The wide bands increase the range of AFR that can be controlled via closed loop control. What advantage that provides is debatable. So is it's effectiveness vs. stock system/narrow bands.

Last edited by T^2; 04-23-2018 at 07:53 AM.
The following users liked this post:
mjwebb (04-23-2018)
Old 04-23-2018, 07:55 AM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by T^2
That's some nice marketing language for the stupid tune pro ATM module. The language is written to take advantage of ignorance.

Long story short... It tries to do the same thing that your stock system with narrow band O2 sensors already does. It just interfaces wide band sensors to the ECM. The wide bands increase the range of AFR that can be controlled via closed loop control. What advantage that provides is debatable. So is it's effectiveness vs. stock system/narrow bands.
yeah, figured as such, hence my question mark at the end..gimmicky and not the real deal

Old 04-23-2018, 08:37 AM
billbrummett
Tourer
Received 170 Likes on 99 Posts
Default what i plan to do

seeing the dyno charts, the SE tuner, torque cam, stock headers, slip ons and high flow A/C work just fine. AND you keep the warranty. when I do mine, I don't think I'll even put it on a dyno, rather use the autotune function. what's 2 or 3 hp/tq one way or another anyway?

Old 04-23-2018, 11:41 AM
T^2
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,152 Likes on 720 Posts

Originally Posted by billbrummett
seeing the dyno charts, the SE tuner, torque cam, stock headers, slip ons and high flow A/C work just fine. AND you keep the warranty.
Yup.

Originally Posted by billbrummett
when I do mine, I don't think I'll even put it on a dyno, rather use the autotune function. what's 2 or 3 hp/tq one way or another anyway?
Just so you are aware... The "auto tune" function may not be what you think it is. It's nice marketing terminology, but it doesn't really automatically tune your bike. All the auto tune function does is attempt to calibrate the VE tables (model for air). Even if the "auto tune" function did it's job well (debatable), calibrating the VE's is only an initial step in tuning (limited of course because it's SEPST etc.).

I might recommend that if one is going to spend the money on more advanced stages that one goes ahead and have the tuning done by a competent pro. The cost isn't really that much - practically nothing comparatively speaking. Lot better chance for better results and less headaches down the road.

Last edited by T^2; 04-23-2018 at 11:52 AM.
The following users liked this post:
mjwebb (04-23-2018)
Old 04-23-2018, 12:09 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by T^2
I might recommend that if one is going to spend the money on more advanced stages that one goes ahead and have the tuning done by a competent pro. The cost isn't really that much - practically nothing comparatively speaking. Lot better chance for better results and less headaches down the road.
I'm a believer, even with the lowly stage 1 EPA compliant SEPST if someone knows how to optimize the tools the engine is better off and happier

Old 04-23-2018, 12:34 PM
Gordon61
Road Warrior
Received 124 Likes on 105 Posts

Going back to the OPs original question, would you swop an SE tuner for an FP3 ...probably not. Plenty of tuning shops able to tune properly with an SE, Power Vision or TTS ...not so for the FP3

The other part of the question the OP may want to clarify ...are you looking to compare a "canned" map from SE against a canned map supplied by V&H? possibly pot-luck on that one.

If you are going to try "autotuning" the VE tables yourself then you can do that with both of them and probably get more or less the same results.

Warranty is the obvious question.

Quick Reply: SE tune vs FP3 or other tuners