Sponsored by:

FM street outlaws vs MK45s?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2018, 01:40 PM
fuelmoto
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,104 Likes on 1,339 Posts

Originally Posted by teedoff65
Good info Jamie. So to remind you of my setup. I did the 475c cam and Jackpot headers with MK45s. I mentioned about losing the low end power in your cam test thread, but reading what you've said here, if I understand you, with my mufflers and baffle setup, what would you recommend for me? As said previously, I really like the sound with the db reducers out, but I do lose quite a bit of power. I would guess as you say here, maybe 10 or more tq down low.

If I get a dyno, can some of the lost power be recovered with the db reducers out? Or is that wishful thinking? Can I swap slip ons to something that would get better sound and keep the power even with the db reducers out?
The 475C is actually more exhaust sensitive than any of the other M8 bolt in cam's we tested, it has signficantly more overlap than the others. Unfortunately you cannot bend laws of physics; specifically Bernoulli's principle as it applies here. These motors & cam combinations simply do not like big open mufflers, no way around it. We've been telling people all along to use properly designed mufflers and baffles and how it affects these bikes, fortunately the Mk45's include the inserts that will give desirable results in most applications. As far as the sound that is really subjective and a whole subject in and of itself.

Jamie Long / Fuel Moto USA
The USA's Leader V-Twin EFI & Performance www.fuelmotousa.com
Contact 920-423-3309
Email jamie@fuelmotousa.com

Old 04-27-2018, 01:52 PM
Blue Tick
Road Master
Received 54 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by fuelmoto
The 475C is actually more exhaust sensitive than any of the other M8 bolt in cam's we tested, it has signficantly more overlap than the others. Unfortunately you cannot bend laws of physics; specifically Bernoulli's principle as it applies here. These motors & cam combinations simply do not like big open mufflers, no way around it. We've been telling people all along to use properly designed mufflers and baffles and how it affects these bikes, fortunately the Mk45's include the inserts that will give desirable results in most applications. As far as the sound that is really subjective and a whole subject in and of itself.
When I asked about the Outlaws being using with the ac/dc and jackpot header on either the 475 or 22x, you advised it would be killer. Sound being subjective, what's the difference between the Outlaws and MK45's?

Old 04-27-2018, 02:35 PM
pittz5
Road Warrior
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Blue Tick
When I asked about the Outlaws being using with the ac/dc and jackpot header on either the 475 or 22x, you advised it would be killer. Sound being subjective, what's the difference between the Outlaws and MK45's?

more specifically for me, what size is the main baffle in the outlaws? Is it a 2” baffle that can be reduced to 1.75 with inserts?

Old 04-27-2018, 04:26 PM
fuelmoto
Platinum Sponsor

Originally Posted by pittz5
more specifically for me, what size is the main baffle in the outlaws? Is it a 2” baffle that can be reduced to 1.75 with inserts?
Originally Posted by Blue Tick
The MK45's have a 2.5" perforated core with a 2" removable insert, the Street Outlaw mufflers have a 2.25" spiral louvered baffle with 1.75" solid removeable insert. Both are solid performing mufflers, as far as sound the Outlaw has a bit more growl due to the louvered core, the MK45 sounds more like our Jackpot Hi Roller mufflers which have perforated cores as well.

Old 04-27-2018, 04:40 PM
teedoff65
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,474 Likes on 1,061 Posts

The MK45's have a 2.5" perforated core with a 2" removable insert, the Street Outlaw mufflers have a 2.25" spiral louvered baffle with 1.75" solid removeable insert. Both are solid performing mufflers, as far as sound the Outlaw has a bit more growl due to the louvered core, the MK45 sounds more like our Jackpot Hi Roller mufflers which have perforated cores as well.
Dang it you just HAD to go and say that didn't you. Lol

Old 04-27-2018, 08:35 PM
RK14SGS
Road Warrior
Received 144 Likes on 108 Posts

I'm going to have to try the Street Outlaws, and go for the growl!

Old 05-05-2018, 09:47 AM
RK14SGS
Road Warrior
Received 144 Likes on 108 Posts
Default I got the growl!!

https://youtu.be/ZCIqqQrgETg

Here's a link to a quick video I made, but these mufflers are just what I needed. High quality, excellent fit, and db inserts for the neighbors to be happy AND to keep the back pressure optimized for low end torque!

A shout out to Jamie and the guys at Fuel Moto for another great muffler at an even better price point.

Old 05-05-2018, 10:42 AM
Quik
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,572 Likes on 1,524 Posts

Just curious but anyone know why fuel moto chose the MK45 over the street outlaw for their cam testing?

Old 05-07-2018, 09:35 AM
fuelmoto
Platinum Sponsor

Originally Posted by Quik
Just curious but anyone know why fuel moto chose the MK45 over the street outlaw for their cam testing?
As we noted when we announced the test we wanted to make the test as repeatable and unbiased as possible so we used assorted components not just Fuel Moto parts. We used S&S MK45 mufflers and a SE Stage 1 air cleaner.

The following 2 users liked this post by fuelmoto:
357sig (03-05-2020), cmathison (12-12-2022)
Old 05-07-2018, 11:40 AM
Quik
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,572 Likes on 1,524 Posts

As we noted when we announced the test we wanted to make the test as repeatable and unbiased as possible so we used assorted components not just Fuel Moto parts. We used S&S MK45 mufflers and a SE Stage 1 air cleaner.
Roger that, thank you sir.

Quick Reply: FM street outlaws vs MK45s?