Milwaukee Eight (M8) 2017 and up M8 Air and Liquid Cooled discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone with the fan-assisted oil cooler have sumping issues?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2018, 12:17 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,917 Likes on 17,474 Posts

Originally Posted by LoneWoolf
Here's Harley's dilemma in a nutshell. Because they are so tied to the "air cooled" V-Twin, from a marketing standpoint, they are unable to successfully make significant strides in power delivery.

Ever wonder why a Honda Civic RS that has a 2.0 liter engine can reliably pump out over 300hp?
Isn't from a marketing standpoint, the motor design is what the harley buying public wants. As those of us who are the older generation stop buying, harley may or may not evolve into something else but then they would just another clone bike like all the imports.

And seriously just how much " power " does anyone actually need on 2 wheels ? Ego is pushing those limits not a mechanical need to move the machine.

Old 04-29-2018, 01:00 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,528 Likes on 4,425 Posts

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
Isn't from a marketing standpoint, the motor design is what the harley buying public wants. As those of us who are the older generation stop buying, harley may or may not evolve into something else but then they would just another clone bike like all the imports.

And seriously just how much " power " does anyone actually need on 2 wheels ? Ego is pushing those limits not a mechanical need to move the machine.
it's not just ego, there are adrenaline junkie amongst us and I get that, been there done that too many time having spent way too much money, but now fall into the "not a mechanical need to move the machine" camp..no more loud and annoying for me, and quite frankly these engines have improved enough for me to not feel compelled to mess with them beyond my dyno tuned Stage 1, which arguably may very well be considered even more reliable than leaving stock

Old 04-29-2018, 01:57 PM
Timberwolf2017
Road Captain
Received 251 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by mjwebb
it's not just ego, there are adrenaline junkie amongst us and I get that, been there done that too many time having spent way too much money, but now fall into the "not a mechanical need to move the machine" camp..no more loud and annoying for me, and quite frankly these engines have improved enough for me to not feel compelled to mess with them beyond my dyno tuned Stage 1, which arguably may very well be considered even more reliable than leaving stock

I have an '18 Limited, and I was wondering about that, mainly backpressure and torque. I hear some that have lost torque after just slip ons. My '17 had a stage 1, it still lost torque even after dyno tune. I am thinking I may leave this one bone stock, but I would love some sound, maybe slip ons, IDK

Old 04-29-2018, 02:01 PM
SoCalHDMC
Road Captain
Received 160 Likes on 107 Posts

Agreed!

Everything that I drive, ride, operate now is quieter and MAY have a smaller camshaft, less compression, less head work, and quieter exhaust than when I was in my 30’s and 40’s. I think it is all about finding a happy medium and an internal combustion experience that suits you.

One of my cars is actually a Toyota product (hey, front engined, V8, rear wheel drive at least!), makes 400+ production HP, and I have been 155 MPH in that car when it was stock as a rock. It is every bit as fun to drive as any of the Big Block or LS powered hot rod stuff I have built. To this day it only has an exhaust system and a couple minor suspension tweaks, car makes me smile hard every time I drive it.

Every vehicle is different to me, some take a few more modifications than others to make it just right for what I need.

Old 04-29-2018, 02:46 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,528 Likes on 4,425 Posts

Originally Posted by Timberwolf2017
[/COLOR]

I have an '18 Limited, and I was wondering about that, mainly backpressure and torque. I hear some that have lost torque after just slip ons. My '17 had a stage 1, it still lost torque even after dyno tune. I am thinking I may leave this one bone stock, but I would love some sound, maybe slip ons, IDK

I was mainly thinking in terms of simply more air throughput and fine tuning over the stock calibration to optimize efficiency, etc. but that obviously only applies if the tuner is competent and capable

Old 04-29-2018, 04:50 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,917 Likes on 17,474 Posts

Why I evolved into a bike mechanic early on, had to if I wanted to keep riding, you've no idea the **** I've broke pushing the performance edge over the years.

My 17 RK got the moco street tuner and air cleaner before it left the dealers lot, at 600mi. I put on a set of mild slip-on's, no dyno or new tune. If there's been any loss damned if I've noticed

The following users liked this post:
mjwebb (04-29-2018)
Old 05-07-2018, 12:21 PM
Heatwave
Received 1,077 Likes on 638 Posts

Originally Posted by SWThomas

I was just curious because the sumping issue appears to happen when the engine gets really hot. The fan-assisted oil cooler has been shown to reduce oil temps by like 30 degrees, if I remember right.
Sumping causes excess heat. Excess heat does NOT cause sumping.

Old 05-07-2018, 12:27 PM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,720 Likes on 1,546 Posts

Originally Posted by Heatwave
Sumping causes excess heat. Excess heat does NOT cause sumping.
That you know of.
Because who knows what happens when these engines overheat... I've never heard of one actually overheating (without first sumping)

Old 05-07-2018, 12:50 PM
Heatwave
Received 1,077 Likes on 638 Posts

Originally Posted by lp
That you know of.
Because who knows what happens when these engines overheat... I've never heard of one actually overheating (without first sumping)
Someone would have to explain the mechanical principles behind how heat could physically induce sumping. Excess heat might create alot of issues from bearing failure to lifter failure to lots of other issues, however there's no "mechanical" mechanism that could cause sumping as a result of overheating.

Last edited by Heatwave; 05-07-2018 at 01:05 PM.
Old 05-07-2018, 12:52 PM
Blue Tick
Road Master
Received 54 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by VDeuce
The largest common denominator is increased displacement combined with higher RPM. More common in 114, 117, 120 and up than 107. There are some builds getting into the 140 range.
Are you referring to the HD 114, 117 and so on? I've not heard of anyone who's gone aftermarket complain of sumping with say a FM kit, T Man and so on. Someone here had posted or started a thread about this and questioned the possibility of out of round cylinders leading to/causing the issue. I've got 8400 miles on mine and have not experienced an issue to date. I'll keep knocking on wood though.

Quick Reply: Anyone with the fan-assisted oil cooler have sumping issues?