Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fueling oil pump installed and ride report

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2018, 12:45 PM
kllrvet
Cruiser
Received 38 Likes on 20 Posts

Yes, both were performed at the same time. I have ridden about 150 miles since completion, with 90 miles under less than ideal riding and conditions.

Tony

Old 04-30-2018, 12:53 PM
tommy1727
Advanced
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Tony, prior to making these changes, how would you first identify the sumping? I mean what where the signs. I’m assuming it happened so much you had a real good feel for it? Just curious about identifying very early when it happens.

Old 04-30-2018, 12:58 PM
VDeuce
Road Warrior
Received 403 Likes on 257 Posts

Thanks Tony, I have my Feuling setup arriving this week, hopefully get it in by the weekend.

Old 04-30-2018, 01:30 PM
kllrvet
Cruiser

The bike would idle funny, it would be down on power, and it would only free rev to about 2500rpm. Then rpms would fall like it was shut off.

Old 04-30-2018, 09:31 PM
cmashark
Road Warrior

Received 209 Likes on 114 Posts

If you have a Power Vision mounted on your bars, you can watch your temps increase as you ride and drop as you set at a stop light. That was how I found it on my first M8. Then I tested it for sumping. It failed twice at my house and again the following day at the dealer.

Old 04-30-2018, 09:40 PM
kllrvet
Cruiser

I am currently running a Thundermax, and previously tuned the stock ECU with a TTS tuner. I cannot watch temps with either one.

the bike runs soo bad. It's pretty easy to tell its sumped

Old 05-01-2018, 05:41 AM
SWThomas
Stellar HDF Member
Received 993 Likes on 590 Posts

Your patience is admirable. If I owned you bike, Harley absolutely would fix it. Or they would be giving me a new bike or refund. I damn sure wouldn’t be spending my money to fix their problem.

Old 05-01-2018, 06:10 AM
Scudda
Stellar HDF Member
Received 3,193 Likes on 938 Posts

Originally Posted by SWThomas
Your patience is admirable. If I owned you bike, Harley absolutely would fix it. Or they would be giving me a new bike or refund. I damn sure wouldn’t be spending my money to fix their problem.
I would think he is past the point of Harley having responsibility to fix the issue since he went with aftermarket parts....Not an excuse as it still shouldn't be happening.

It is just amazing if you look to the past when HD comes out with a new engine...there is always an issue with it....On the EVO I think it was base gaskets and Rocker Boxes always leaking....The twin cam..well we all know about the crappy cam bearings, Crankshaft after 2002...left side bearing and cam shoe issues...Now with the M8 it's an oil sumping issue

Old 05-01-2018, 08:21 AM
MotoJockey
Stellar HDF Member

Received 3,060 Likes on 1,257 Posts

Originally Posted by Scudda
I would think he is past the point of Harley having responsibility to fix the issue since he went with aftermarket parts....Not an excuse as it still shouldn't be happening.

It is just amazing if you look to the past when HD comes out with a new engine...there is always an issue with it....On the EVO I think it was base gaskets and Rocker Boxes always leaking....The twin cam..well we all know about the crappy cam bearings, Crankshaft after 2002...left side bearing and cam shoe issues...Now with the M8 it's an oil sumping issue
And let's not leave out the ever popular "Transmission Fluid Transfer"!.......

Old 05-01-2018, 09:10 AM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,231 Likes on 3,611 Posts

Very interesting on the mods. With the vent line pulling a vacuum, I wonder if it's helping with the sumping issue. I suspect that it is. If you can lower the pressure in the crankcase significantly, you lower the pressure variations in the crankcase. Based on the historic TC development issues, I suspect that this could help with the sumping.

You breather system seems close to what SnS uses on their crate 124s. Wonder if they are onto something.

Do you have any idle issues? Drawing crankcase air directly into the manifold without a PCV valve seems like it would cause the return to idle to be a little erratic. It would be if carbed but maybe the EFI conpensates?

While the fueling pump should help due to better scavenging, I suspect that the advantages decrease at the pump wears in and the gerotor side clearance increases. Still the venting idea may be the answer. It might be interesting to disconnect the vent line from the manifold and leave to open air to see if its the pump or the venting that is helping.

Very good work. It's nice to see someone taking the challenge and working to fix the issue instead of complain about it.

An interesting not on the crank runout.. On TCs the flat for the gear is in line with the crank pin. If it's the same on M8s, the crank is spreading not twisting. I've seen this issue on TC cranks, mainly early SnS stroker cranks with the smaller crank pin. While the M8 has a larger crank pin, I wonder if it''s doing the same thing. On the early SnS cranks, the flywheel / crank pin flex on the inside near the rods. Might be an opportunity for SnS to make a stronger one.

Quick Reply: Fueling oil pump installed and ride report