2018 CVO Limited an Ongoing Review

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2018, 08:13 AM
PFWiz
Stellar HDF Member

Received 378 Likes on 228 Posts
Default 2018 CVO Limited an Ongoing Review

FINALLY.

I picked up my 2018 Sunglo Fade CVO Limited. Part of the pickup was the dealer putting the bike in a chock and fitting everything to my wife and I.

Note 1 - this was the first time I sat on the bike with my feet on the floorboards.
Note 2 - I bought this bike site unseen back in Oct and it arrived at the dealer the last day of Jan. So I really had clear idea of what I was buying other than a CVO.
Note 3 - All comparisons are based on my old lowered 2011 RGU with a Road Zeppelin seat and the biggest MadStaad wind shield.

1) The CVO seat has me pushed way forward. My crotch is on the gas tank at all times. Gotta see if someone makes a clear film bra for the back 1/4 of the tank. Maybe I will get used to it, only time will tell.
2) Momma says she has more room even with the rider back rest in place.
3) The distance from the seat to the floorboards seems less. My thighs are parallel to the ground when I am in the riding position. I think I read that the M8s have higher floor boards to increase lean angle. Also I am pretty sure the Stock CVO seat is lower than my Zeppelin. This is not particularly uncomfortable, but it does make harder to lift my heel to hit the rear shift peg.
4) Basic ergonomics from my seated position to the handle bars seems pretty good.
5) Compared to my 2011 RGU the handle bars are covered a bewildering, almost Rube Goldberg like number of switches and buttons. It is going to take a little while to learn them all.
6) The complete Fullsac sytem with 2" baffles and Tech Mat sounds very good!
7) Even though this was the bikes first run on the road and I am taking it easy for the break in period the bike (stage 2 power cam) seems to have plenty of power. At least as much as my Stage 2 RGU.
8) The break pedal does not seem to have much play. What I mean is that from first touch to the pedal bottoming out only seems to be an inch or so. Is this normal?
9) The Clearview Sheilds, Extra Large, Smoke, Recurve Windshield is just barely tall enough. The wind stream seems to just make it over my helmet. Fine for normal riding, but not sure if it will allow me to wear my steam punk leather top hat on the road. With my taller Road Zep seat all bets are off.
10) Need to adjust the rebound on my Ohlins. I had Howard rebuild them and I did not think to check their settings so they were bottoming out.
11) WHY HD? WHY? Why does HD use cheapo galvanized bolts on the blacked out portions of the most expensive bike they sell? For example the bolts holding the black front brake covers are plain old galvanized. Once you see it, you can't unsee it. Now I have to find someplace that sells the bolt covers. (I heard Toppers went out of business.)
12) The Boom stage 1 stereo was better than I expected. I have budgeted $1500 for new amps and speakers. Not saying that it won't be required, but we will see.

This review will continue as I put some miles on the bike (planning on attending Rolling Thunder!).

Last edited by PFWiz; 04-30-2018 at 08:19 AM.
The following users liked this post:
G'day (04-30-2018)
Old 04-30-2018, 08:34 AM
GTK
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 579 Likes on 414 Posts

Beautiful paint on that CVO

Old 04-30-2018, 08:54 AM
capitandiablo
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I love the paint color on this bike!

Old 05-01-2018, 05:17 AM
Gunnysgt
Grand HDF Member
Received 503 Likes on 247 Posts

It will take you some time to adjust to the newer style hand controls on the Rushmore bikes. Plus side is you can do about everything without taking you hands off the controls. As for the seat height and floorboards, I saw no real difference there. If you brake pedal is going down to the bottom, that's an issue, mine does not. I have over 5000 miles on mine and have had no issues worth mentioning.

Old 05-02-2018, 06:43 AM
PFWiz
Stellar HDF Member

Put on about 70 miles yesterday, 2 up.

13) Power, effortless power. The fact that the engine itself is quieter and smoother makes it feel as if the bike is just loafing as I accelerate to highway speeds. Look down and realize the speedo is reading 85!!
14) Handling, this bike handles noticeably better than my 2011 FLTRU. The strange part of that is the 2011 had the same Ohlin 3-3 shocks (prior to rebuild) and the same (if older version) -1" Progressive Monotubes. This means that the better handling has little to nothing to do with the suspension...
15) The GPS screen was very readable at all angles to the sun!
16) So many buttons and switches on the controls......
17) What idiot decided that the GPS should not have a QWERTY keyboard?
18) Buffeting, this bike subjects both me and my wife to far more buffeting than the RGU did. Guess we were just spoiled by the MadStaad shield.
19) Got the garage door opener hooked up. Could they have used smaller gauge wire? I don't think so, it is about 24 gauge, it is tiny. I kept breaking the wires when I was tightening the screws....

Old 05-02-2018, 01:27 PM
bradn
Road Master
Received 216 Likes on 174 Posts

Dude - let's see pic's!!

As for the seat, I fell in love with it when I saw it, and was all ready to plunk down the $1200 or so to buy one until I sat on it. It really does push you way forward and also seems lower. I'm 6'1" so I backed away from it. But damn is it good looking!

The following users liked this post:
wiliturk (05-07-2018)
Old 05-02-2018, 04:56 PM
Redlegvzv
Stellar HDF Member
Received 672 Likes on 372 Posts

Great looking scoot! Good write-up.

Old 05-02-2018, 06:35 PM
RinTin
Tourer
Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by PFWiz
FINALLY.

1) The CVO seat has me pushed way forward. My crotch is on the gas tank at all times. Gotta see if someone makes a clear film bra for the back 1/4 of the tank. Maybe I will get used to it, only time will tell.
I feel your pain with the seat. Got my 2018 CVO limited (Fade) end of last year. For the 1000 miles I put on it, I felt like i was riding on the gas tank. My junk rode on the left side of the tank or the right. No kidding. What was HD thinking making a seat so bucketed and pushed forward.

Seat is currently at Astech Seat out of Indiana getting lowered an inch and moved back an inch. I'd have gone further, but they say you can't modify this seat down or back more than an inch. I will post a full review of their work once I get the seat back.

The only other negative is the clear coat is very soft on my bike and scratches VERY easy. Hopefully it hardens or I figure a way to polish it out over the summer..

Other than that, I absolutely love the bike and ride. Hope to have nothing but positive comments from here.

Last edited by RinTin; 05-02-2018 at 06:45 PM.
Old 05-02-2018, 08:33 PM
bradn
Road Master
Received 216 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by RinTin
I feel your pain with the seat. Got my 2018 CVO limited (Fade) end of last year. For the 1000 miles I put on it, I felt like i was riding on the gas tank. My junk rode on the left side of the tank or the right. No kidding. What was HD thinking making a seat so bucketed and pushed forward.

Seat is currently at Astech Seat out of Indiana getting lowered an inch and moved back an inch. I'd have gone further, but they say you can't modify this seat down or back more than an inch. I will post a full review of their work once I get the seat back.

The only other negative is the clear coat is very soft on my bike and scratches VERY easy. Hopefully it hardens or I figure a way to polish it out over the summer..

Other than that, I absolutely love the bike and ride. Hope to have nothing but positive comments from here.
For the paint, look into having it ceramic coated. Not all embrace this, but I am a believer! Do some research and decide for yourself.

Old 05-03-2018, 08:51 AM
PFWiz
Stellar HDF Member

20) Clutch Pull - HD most have thought the Hulk was going to be riding my bike. The clutch pull is quite hard. I could see my left hand cramping up if I got caught in an hour of stop and go traffic. I was spoiled by the AIM variable pressure clutch in my old bike. I wounder if I can put one in this bike?

Ordered a Kuryakyn Black Lower Triple Tree Wind Deflector last nigh as my first step toward controlling the buffeting. I found a place that makes black fork fangs that say will fit my bike. That might be step 2....

I have put a tie wrap on one of my Ohlins so that I can see if the shock is bottoming out and adjust for it. So far I have tightened the rebound from Howard's starting point by 3 clicks. I am also having to tighten the spring preload ( 3 turns so far) as the rebuilt shocks break in. If I remember correctly this about a 500 mile process.

Why does nobody windshield bags that actually fit the M8 bat wing fairing? 3 pouches will not work. The center area has to be left open to facilitate the air flow from the vent up the back of the windshield. It needs to look like a standard 3 pouch set with the center pouch removed. This sounds a business opportunity for someone....

Quick Reply: 2018 CVO Limited an Ongoing Review