Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Six months of “They all do that” - no, they don’t

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2018, 08:01 AM
VDeuce
Road Warrior
Received 403 Likes on 257 Posts

And still no solution in sight. We still have not seen a definite fix for sumping from them.

​​​​

Old 05-10-2018, 10:19 AM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,362 Likes on 2,617 Posts

Originally Posted by VDeuce
And still no solution in sight. We still have not seen a definite fix for sumping from them. ​​​​
I have to think that a large part of this is manufacturing. Otherwise, it would happen to all of them. Every now and then, to boost my spirits, I read the posts in the "How many miles on your M8" thread.

Old 05-10-2018, 10:34 AM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,505 Likes on 4,415 Posts

Originally Posted by Keithhu
I have to think that a large part of this is manufacturing. Otherwise, it would happen to all of them. Every now and then, to boost my spirits, I read the posts in the "How many miles on your M8" thread.
i believe you're correct, has to be..just way too many bikes that are 'right'

Old 05-10-2018, 10:47 AM
White Trash Sr
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Curious

Hello new to the forum.

I have a 17 SG. Bought her in Nov of 16 so she is kinda an early build. Mufflers, AC, and tuner, changed bars and grips, added a tourpack. I ride her hard, very hard some days. I have a little transmission oil migration, the oil clamp on the cooler was fixed and thats the only problem Ibe had. I have a little over 10400 miles as of Monday. I see alot of problems are coming up in the lower mile range, anyone with higher mileage having any issues.

Old 05-10-2018, 10:54 AM
VDeuce
Road Warrior
Received 403 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by Keithhu
I think I could get most every one to sump, especially larger displacements. Most guys seem to shift below 3000 RPM, so they may never see it.

Old 05-10-2018, 10:56 AM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by White Trash Sr
Hello new to the forum.

I have a 17 SG. Bought her in Nov of 16 so she is kinda an early build. Mufflers, AC, and tuner, changed bars and grips, added a tourpack. I ride her hard, very hard some days. I have a little transmission oil migration, the oil clamp on the cooler was fixed and thats the only problem Ibe had. I have a little over 10400 miles as of Monday. I see alot of problems are coming up in the lower mile range, anyone with higher mileage having any issues.
welcome and congrats on the hard riding and miles put on! nah, like a fine wine they get better with age and issues 'self resolve'..LOL..wife and I have 8/16 builds with 35,000 miles combined on ours and they haven't changed..I've had a little trans transfer since early on, hers never has, and they both consume some engine oil..but overall nothing stopping us from keep on keeping on and racking up the miles

Last edited by mjwebb; 05-10-2018 at 10:57 AM.
Old 05-10-2018, 12:58 PM
teedoff65
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,474 Likes on 1,061 Posts

I think I could get most every one to sump, especially larger displacements. Most guys seem to shift below 3000 RPM, so they may never see it.
I very seldom shift below 3000 rpms, so I guess I've been pretty lucky so far. Not that I ride as hard as some of the adrenaline junkies here, but I dont baby it either.

Old 05-10-2018, 01:15 PM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,362 Likes on 2,617 Posts

Originally Posted by teedoff65
I very seldom shift below 3000 rpms, so I guess I've been pretty lucky so far. Not that I ride as hard as some of the adrenaline junkies here, but I dont baby it either.
I shift above 3K all the time. On my 17, was doing 90 for hours to and from Sturgis (above 3K constantly) last year, no issues until a month after I got back, and sumped on the highway. Neither of the 2 replacement engines went more than 600 miles before they were toast. I'm just praying this one stays on the road. I'm at 570 miles now on the 18 (March 2018 build date), will try some local highway trips, but I'm very nervous about this bike.

Last edited by Keithhu; 05-10-2018 at 01:16 PM.
Old 05-10-2018, 01:28 PM
FatBob2018
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,219 Likes on 1,264 Posts

Simple question -- would keeping an eye on the oil temperature or engine temperature keep one from sumping so far that it does damage?

What I mean is -- sumping happens when too much oil collects in the sump, depriving oil from the rest of the engine, depriving it of cooling, etc. So a sumping engine gets really hot. Does the heat come on gradually, or is it an on/off type of thing? If the heat comes on gradually, could you pull over, let it idle down (thus clearing out the sump and putting the oil back where it belongs) and then continue on, without having caused engine damage?

This isn't a "solution" obviously, but I'm doing a cross-country trip later in the year and if keeping an eye on the engine temp is a way to ward off the damage of sumping, it seems like a prudent precaution.

Old 05-10-2018, 02:07 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by FatBob2018
Simple question -- would keeping an eye on the oil temperature or engine temperature keep one from sumping so far that it does damage?

What I mean is -- sumping happens when too much oil collects in the sump, depriving oil from the rest of the engine, depriving it of cooling, etc. So a sumping engine gets really hot. Does the heat come on gradually, or is it an on/off type of thing? If the heat comes on gradually, could you pull over, let it idle down (thus clearing out the sump and putting the oil back where it belongs) and then continue on, without having caused engine damage?

This isn't a "solution" obviously, but I'm doing a cross-country trip later in the year and if keeping an eye on the engine temp is a way to ward off the damage of sumping, it seems like a prudent precaution.
well if it happens on a cross country trip you're pretty screwed in several sorts of ways..pay constant attention, limp it to a dealership, have it towed..I'd damn near prefer the damn thing to blow and have them come get the pos and let it be their problem..by that point it'd have completely ruined my big vacation trip and I'd just want to get off of it and back home and let the ****, er' stupid auto correct MOCO deal with it... but that's just me..

Quick Reply: Six months of “They all do that” - no, they don’t