Sponsored by:

'18 SGS 1,000 mile review

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2018, 01:55 PM
Tony P
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 334 Likes on 203 Posts
Default '18 SGS 1,000 mile review

This is my first bagger and M8. Here are my first impressions learned from the first 1,000 miles:

1) Torque throughout most of the power band. You have to go out of your way to lug this baby. I really like this motor. I'm keeping it stock. If I want noise, I will ride my Dyna.
2) Runs cooler stock than my TC when stock. However, my right thigh still feels a decent amount of heat. No issue, really.
3) The 12" shocks on the rear have a lot to be desired. Initially, my salesman set it for "7." This didn't work, even with passenger. I reset it to "3," which was improved, but not there yet. I finally set the pre-load to "0" and this made a decent ride I'm happy with. Regardless, I have a set of 13" Pro-Action shocks on order. I requested plush - I don't carve corners anymore. The improved travel should be a huge improvement. Not worried that I will lose the "slammed" look. I'm not sure about the front forks. I will wait until the new shocks are installed and go from there.
4) The low profile tires make for a good handling bike. I dare say that this bagger feels lighter on turn-in than my Dyna. Incredible, considering it's size.
5) The sound system is okay. I've never been a radio guy, but I get it. However, I'm starting to turn it off more now that the novelty has worn off. I may upgrade the amp and replace the speakers. If I'm going to have a radio, I might as well have good sound.
6) The Infotainment system is a "nice to have." I can see me using the GPS. I tend to get lost in my own neighborhood.
7) There is buffeting coming from under the bat wing fairing. Nothing I'm not used to. I'm over 6', so I installed a 10" HD recurve in light smoke, which throw the wind over my helmet, but doesn't help with the buffeting. I did ride with the stock mini shield, which works nicely on a hot day, but sucks for anything above 60 mph. I have an 8" LRS shield on order to try out.
8) Added a medium sissy bar with medium pad, along with an air wing luggage rack, which looks good and is actually useful. All detachable, of course.
9) Custom Dynamic turn signals and LED HD headlamp. I like being seen. Oh, I have the running light on the rear fender set to work with the brake.
10) I installed a Hard Bagger tray insert in my left saddlebag. Man, I love that thing! No more searching for the small stuff that tends to work itself to the bottom of the bag.
11) I'm good with the stock seat, however, my girl wanted more comfort, so I ordered a CVO saddle with pillion. She sat on one at the dealer and liked it. I hope so, since it cost $$$.
12) The hard candy paint is amazing. The MoCo does paint better than anyone.
13) Cruise control... If only to rest or warm up my right hand.
14) I'm happy with the stock handlebars. Then again, I've never replaced the buckhorns on my Dyna, so what do I know? I did change the grips.
15) Yes, the clutch isn't as easy to pull as my Dyna, but it feels solid and it hasn't been a deal breaker.
16) Every bit as loud shifting into 1st gear as my Dyna. Some things never change.
17) I'm not really having a hard time finding neutral like others have posted.
18) Heel shifter? Wha...?
19) Overall, no regrets. Like most Harley's, you will end up making it your own.

The following 2 users liked this post by Tony P:
rauchman (07-06-2018), SoCalHDMC (05-17-2018)
Old 05-16-2018, 02:18 PM
big papa AZ
Stellar HDF Member
Received 328 Likes on 215 Posts

Old man heel shifter was the first mod I made, into the parts bin it went... I noticed the under fairing buffeting comes when you add a taller windshield.

The following users liked this post:
Tony P (05-16-2018)
Old 05-16-2018, 02:51 PM
Stroked16
Cruiser
Received 52 Likes on 32 Posts

Good review. My 17 SGS turns a year old next Monday. Currently at 10,500 very pleased miles. My only complaint is the paint job. Black turning to purple, twice now for the exhaust tips and once for the throttle grip. Oh and apparently my inseam on my jeans rubs the paint off my tank....

Tony P (05-17-2018)
Old 05-16-2018, 05:41 PM
Firenailer
Road Master
Received 133 Likes on 95 Posts

Nice write up! At just under 10K on my ‘17 I’ve gotta say I’m loving it. Been fooling around with the idea of changing the rear shocks myself. Added fork Fangs, the between fork ashtray and a 7” LRS Recurve and all of that cured the buffeting completely. Got rid of the heel shifter and added an oil cooler cover as that was getting pretty beat up. Other than that, it’s stock and staying that way. Really nice motorcycle! Good luck with yours

Tony P (05-17-2018)
Old 06-04-2018, 09:09 AM
Tony P
Seasoned HDF Member

Update:
20) Installed a set of Pro Action 13 inch rear shocks. Yes, I went up an inch and it has made a difference. The extra inch of travel is worth it to me. I now have an SGS Ultra.
21) I really like the 8" dark tint LRS windshield. Works as good as the HD 10" recurve. Appears to be quality for little money.
22) Installed the HD curved license plate holder. Looks much better.
23) Installed the CVO gel seat with pillion. What a great combo. Looks good too, but most of all, it's comfortable. Be warned, if you order this seat, know that it doesn't accept a driver's backrest.
24) No drama at my 1,000 mile service. FYI: My dealer has had only two major problems with an M8. One of those occurrences affected their zone HD representative (karma?) Both issues happened with early 2017 models.
25) I plan on upgrading the audio and possibly installing a set of 12 inch KST bars.

Old 06-04-2018, 10:26 AM
teedoff65
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,470 Likes on 1,060 Posts

Originally Posted by Tony P
Update:
20) Installed a set of Pro Action 13 inch rear shocks. Yes, I went up an inch and it has made a difference. The extra inch of travel is worth it to me. I now have an SGS Ultra.
21) I really like the 8" dark tint LRS windshield. Works as good as the HD 10" recurve. Appears to be quality for little money.
22) Installed the HD curved license plate holder. Looks much better.
23) Installed the CVO gel seat with pillion. What a great combo. Looks good too, but most of all, it's comfortable. Be warned, if you order this seat, know that it doesn't accept a driver's backrest.
24) No drama at my 1,000 mile service. FYI: My dealer has had only two major problems with an M8. One of those occurrences affected their zone HD representative (karma?) Both issues happened with early 2017 models.
25) I plan on upgrading the audio and possibly installing a set of 12 inch KST bars.
LRS does make a quality shield for less money than most. I'm on the short side, and ordered the shortest one they had in the style I liked, in dark smoke as well, and its a little tall for me. Night riding poses some vision issues at times, like when going over hills on unfamiliar roads, but I do like the wind management benefits. I to get a lot of under the fairing wind, and for the RG, there isnt much I can do about other than lowers. There are fork fangs for SG's, but none for RGs. I guess because of how the fairing is mounted and fixed.

Also, there is an aftermarket company making a riders backrest for the CVO seats. Pretty cheap as well if I remember. Do a search on here and you should be able to find it.

I have the 12' KST bars on my RG. I love them! I do wish I had gone to 14's though. Even at my height, my hands are still below my shoulders, so 2 more inches for me would have been fine.

Last edited by teedoff65; 06-04-2018 at 10:27 AM.
Tony P (06-04-2018)
Old 06-04-2018, 02:48 PM
Tony P
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by teedoff65
LRS does make a quality shield for less money than most. I'm on the short side, and ordered the shortest one they had in the style I liked, in dark smoke as well, and its a little tall for me. Night riding poses some vision issues at times, like when going over hills on unfamiliar roads, but I do like the wind management benefits. I to get a lot of under the fairing wind, and for the RG, there isnt much I can do about other than lowers. There are fork fangs for SG's, but none for RGs. I guess because of how the fairing is mounted and fixed.

Also, there is an aftermarket company making a riders backrest for the CVO seats. Pretty cheap as well if I remember. Do a search on here and you should be able to find it.

I have the 12' KST bars on my RG. I love them! I do wish I had gone to 14's though. Even at my height, my hands are still below my shoulders, so 2 more inches for me would have been fine.
I've not seen fork fangs for the '17 & '18 SG's. I'm sure haven't seen any in gloss black. I need to look harder.

Old 06-04-2018, 02:51 PM
teedoff65
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,470 Likes on 1,060 Posts

I've not seen fork fangs for the '17 & '18 SG's. I'm sure haven't seen any in gloss black. I need to look harder.
Someone posted here where they had put a set on a 17 SG I believe. I remember cause I wanted a set for my RG and was unable to find any. I believe it might have been posted in the HUGE "What did you do to your bike today" sticky. I dont feel like looking for it cause its so upsetting I can't get them for my bike. lol

Tony P (06-04-2018)
Old 06-04-2018, 04:43 PM
FatBob2018
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,217 Likes on 1,263 Posts

Aftermarket's got you covered. You can get 'em in chrome, or denim black, or gloss black.
https://www.jescustomaccents.com/06-...-Fangs_c42.htm

The following 2 users liked this post by FatBob2018:
teedoff65 (06-05-2018), Tony P (06-05-2018)
Old 06-04-2018, 04:51 PM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,361 Likes on 2,616 Posts

Its a good thing. They're hideous.

Tony P (06-05-2018)

Quick Reply: '18 SGS 1,000 mile review