Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will Tuner Alone Cool Off my M8?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2018, 05:45 PM
LeoGast
Cruiser
Received 45 Likes on 34 Posts
Default Will Tuner Alone Cool Off my M8?

Okay, my 2017 SGS puts out a lot of heat in traffic on hot days. The thing is, I don't want to change the stock pipes or air intake. I don't really want a fan-based oil cooler.

So, Will an FP3 make a considerable difference in reducing temperature all by itself? Or is that a fool's errand?

Old 05-16-2018, 06:14 PM
FLTRI17
Stellar HDF Member
Received 599 Likes on 414 Posts

Fool’s errand. Use EITMS and install oil cooler fan. Install the rear exhaust fan that blows the hot air down away from your crotch. Nothing but good news from those who have.
Bob

The following users liked this post:
Eccool (05-17-2018)
Old 05-16-2018, 06:29 PM
rdc401
Road Master
Received 120 Likes on 88 Posts

Fp3 is not going to cool off the cat,beside it will void your warranty.
if you want to leave exhaust header stock,the only thing you can do is put that Harley fan that blows down on the cat to keep the heat off of you and your lady friend or wife’s foot.
Or just ride in the winter where the heat will feel good.

Old 05-16-2018, 07:04 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,535 Likes on 4,429 Posts

Originally Posted by FLTRI17
Fool’s errand. Use EITMS and install oil cooler fan. Install the rear exhaust fan that blows the hot air down away from your crotch. Nothing but good news from those who have.
Bob

best things you can do to keep your bike stock and under warranty

Old 05-16-2018, 07:38 PM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,720 Likes on 1,546 Posts

If you're getting a bunch of heat at the seat/thigh try the mid-frame heat deflectors. You can find knock-offs of the HD version on ebay for like 18 bucks.

Old 05-20-2018, 06:40 AM
Captain Itch
Sponsor
Received 602 Likes on 325 Posts

We make a product called a crotch cooler that works and is very easy to install .. It goes under your seat and will not break,crack or fall off like the plastic ones . If you have any questions about our product just let us know . Thank you Itch.. https://shop.captain-itch.com/Harley...hields_c58.htm

Old 05-21-2018, 02:05 PM
cbrenthus
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1,574 Likes on 662 Posts

Why don't you want the fan assisted oil cooler? It cooled my oil temps significantly and I think the bike feels much better as well. My only complaint with it is that on cooler days it takes a long time to get the oil up to temp

Old 05-21-2018, 02:29 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,535 Likes on 4,429 Posts

Originally Posted by cbrenthus
Why don't you want the fan assisted oil cooler? It cooled my oil temps significantly and I think the bike feels much better as well. My only complaint with it is that on cooler days it takes a long time to get the oil up to temp
glad we have ours..not sure I understand your last comment though, both types are thermostat controlled then the fan doesn't come on until the oil temps exceeds a certain threshold..don't see how the fan assist delays temps rising up to that point, but I don't know all the details

Old 05-21-2018, 02:37 PM
davewear
Road Warrior
Received 195 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by LeoGast
Okay, my 2017 SGS puts out a lot of heat in traffic on hot days. The thing is, I don't want to change the stock pipes or air intake. I don't really want a fan-based oil cooler.

So, Will an FP3 make a considerable difference in reducing temperature all by itself? Or is that a fool's errand?
most of the heat you feel is coming from the cat in the headpipe. Eliminate that and it’ll make a difference. You’re risking your powertrain warranty at that point but if you’re considering an FP3 you’re probably not concerned about that anyway.

Old 05-22-2018, 09:32 AM
cbrenthus
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1,574 Likes on 662 Posts

Originally Posted by mjwebb
glad we have ours..not sure I understand your last comment though, both types are thermostat controlled then the fan doesn't come on until the oil temps exceeds a certain threshold..don't see how the fan assist delays temps rising up to that point, but I don't know all the details
Maybe mine has an issue, but I swear it comes on at pretty much any temp. I'll check next time I ride though.

Quick Reply: Will Tuner Alone Cool Off my M8?