Sponsored by:

M8 roarr!

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2018, 06:27 AM
sernini
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default M8 roarr!

Hallo everybody, I I'm Enrico from Italy. I'm sorry form my poor english...
I have just bought a new Low Rider 2018 with M8 engine. My bike is stage 1 with Vance & HInes Twin Slash exhaust.
The bike run very well, at idle and until 2000 rpm it also has a nice sound.
Over 2000 rpm exhaust produce like a "roarr" similar to a Chevrolet engine. Like a 4 o 6 cylinder engine.
The egine bursts are much less perceptible and te sound turns out to ben "kneaded".
I would like a tipical sound "VRRRR", I hope I made my point...
Watching the exhaust system of my bike I see that, unlike previous models, the exhaust of the rear cylinder is much shorter than the front one. I also thought of trying to close the compensation pipe that connects the two exhausts. Can you help me to improve the sound of my bike? Does anyone have my same "problem"?
Thank you

Old 05-21-2018, 06:57 AM
RK12
Cruiser
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Not sure if you want a Harley to sound like a Ducati, thats never going to happen even though both are Vtwins. Kind of like a corvette and a Ferrari. Both can have V8's but both sound very different.

V&H makes a "big Radius" pipe that is very popular.

Old 05-21-2018, 08:05 AM
teedoff65
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,470 Likes on 1,060 Posts

And, if you're wanting your new M8 to sound like older harleys, thats not really going to happen either..

You can purchase pipes that are different lengths....some come out even length and some staggered. If I understood your post correctly.

Old 05-21-2018, 08:33 AM
Retrop
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 127 Likes on 84 Posts

Have you tried going down to your servicing dealer and spending some time in their parking lot on a day when riders typically go there. In the U.S. that would typically be a Saturday morning. By doing this you would see a wide variety of Harleys which would be parking in the lot. This would give you the opportunity to compare your bike to other bikes as well as the opportunity to visit with other riders concerning mufflers and sound. In the U.S. we have this little government office called the EPA (Environmental Protection Agency) which for the most part tells engine manufacturers how much particulate matter their engines can puke into the atmosphere before they are deemed illegal. In order to comply with the current regulations engine makers have been forced to change the design of their products. As a result of this, engines do not sound the way they did 10 years ago. If you are looking for the "potato-potato-potato" cadence of an older Harley exhaust, you will no longer be able to buy a new motorcycle with this sound.
I have no idea if Italy has something in comparison to our EPA, but they might. The MOCO can not export a motorcycle into your particular country unless it abides by your current laws.

Old 05-21-2018, 10:43 AM
sernini
4th Gear

Than you for your answer.
Yes, in Italy (and Europe) we have EURO code, probably much more restrictive than EPA.
Anyway my bike is STAGE 1...(air filter, exhaust and electronic ignition modified), the "real potato sound" will be very difficult to reproduce but I would be happy to eliminate this basic "roar" and hear the normal bursts of a twin-cylinder.

Old 05-21-2018, 11:41 AM
UUNetBill
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 417 Likes on 247 Posts

You won’t ever the the traditional ‘potato’ on an M8 (or a Twin Cam, for that matter) but you can get a nice sound with the right exhaust...you need to listen to different exhausts to find what sounds good to you. I had V&H pipes on my old Street Bob (Short Shots on a 103” Twin Cam) and I didn’t like the sound of them at all. Personally I’m not a fan of V&H pipes at all even though a lot of other people love them.

Listen to as many different systems as you can and see which one give the sound you want. Good luck.

Old 05-22-2018, 09:27 AM
Tozco
Road Captain
Received 205 Likes on 132 Posts

Ciao Enrico,
The connection pipe is allowing each burst to flow out of both mufflers making the exhaust path more equal and less restrictive. I would not block it. I was in bologna last year, I love your country! Many Ducati and Harley riders plus excellent food and Cafe! I also have the 2018 Low Rider and it does similar sound you say. I think it is cam timing and small exhaust valves. I have picture of mine, show us picture of your bike in Italy! Ciao!

Old 05-22-2018, 09:38 AM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,504 Likes on 4,415 Posts

Originally Posted by sernini
Than you for your answer.
Yes, in Italy (and Europe) we have EURO code, probably much more restrictive than EPA.
Anyway my bike is STAGE 1...(air filter, exhaust and electronic ignition modified), the "real potato sound" will be very difficult to reproduce but I would be happy to eliminate this basic "roar" and hear the normal bursts of a twin-cylinder.
meeting Euro regs were of utmost importance in the M8 design

"The engineering team in Milwaukee recognized that there was only so much it could do with the existing Twin Cam platform to move it forward, especially with incredibly restrictive Euro 4 emissions regs on the horizon. No amount of fine tuning would get a big-inch, two-valve-per-cylinder engine where it needed to go, even with the liquid cooling that debuted on some of the touring models. The answer is the Milwaukee-Eight, an all-new power unit, the first total redesign since the Twin Cam 88."

Old 05-22-2018, 12:25 PM
sernini
4th Gear

Hi !! The next time you come to Italy, please come to me. I will gladly welcome you. We can eat excellent Florentine steaks together! About the discharge compensator I think you're right especially with the original exhausts that have less flow capacity. But with open mufflers in my opinion its function is very limited and probably does not contribute to have a better sound.
Very nice your little windscreen can you tell me the brand? Are your exhausts factory-made?
keep in touch! Teniamoci in contatto.
Ciao!

Old 05-22-2018, 02:09 PM
Tozco
Road Captain
Received 205 Likes on 132 Posts

Molto grazie , il mio italiano è non migliore.
The windscreen is from Dart in the UK. I modified the stock exhaust myself. I left the catalytic converter in place but removed the restrictive baffle and replaced it with approx 2" louvered baffle. I then machined somes aluminum end caps to hold it all together.
I will come back to Italy sometime in the future. My family came from Napoli, il mio cognome è Tozzi!

Quick Reply: M8 roarr!