Milwaukee Eight (M8) 2017 and up M8 Air and Liquid Cooled discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Time for the 4th engine in my 2017 CVO Limited... here we go again!

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2018, 02:51 PM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,364 Likes on 2,619 Posts

Originally Posted by Heatwave
Another way to look at the "correlation" is the guys that are "gentle" or novice riders have avoided sumping to date. .
I dont think this is a useful association. I'm not an agressive rider by any means (nor am I passive), I just want to get where I'm going. I accelerate hard (well above 4k) when I need to.

I'm not inexperienced either, 10-12K miles per year, and at least a couple of trips.

I've managed to go thru 3 stock 107s

I just dont think that it has anything to do with experience or agressiveness (or lack of it).

All three times it happened, I was going about 75 on the highway, fairly steady speed. Is that agressive? I dont think so

Last edited by Keithhu; 05-23-2018 at 02:57 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Eccool (05-23-2018)
Old 05-23-2018, 07:14 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,252 Likes on 3,626 Posts

Originally Posted by Keithhu
I dont think this is a useful association. I'm not an agressive rider by any means (nor am I passive), I just want to get where I'm going. I accelerate hard (well above 4k) when I need to.

I'm not inexperienced either, 10-12K miles per year, and at least a couple of trips.

I've managed to go thru 3 stock 107s

I just dont think that it has anything to do with experience or agressiveness (or lack of it).

All three times it happened, I was going about 75 on the highway, fairly steady speed. Is that agressive? I dont think so
FWIW this appears to be exactly the issue I say my SnS cased TC had.. Only thing was temps had to be above about 90F.. Delkron cam plate, Fueling race pump (red) and SnS GenII cases. SnS oil pump fixed it. Put over 100 miles on it today.. Runs like a swiss watch.. Only ticks a little when hot. (640 cams and rollers)

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/milwa...e-sumping.html

BTW, I ride my 17 RK under all kinds of conditions. Constant speed on the freeway, Slo medium and hard in the mountains. No sign of sumping on it.

mjwebb (05-23-2018)
Old 05-24-2018, 06:02 AM
Tn.Heritage
Grand HDF Member
Received 183 Likes on 131 Posts

My understanding of this whole thread is, HD has redesigned the cases and want to try it out on your engine, is this correct Heatwave?

Old 05-24-2018, 06:43 AM
Rooster Ron
Novice
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Personally Im NOT impressed with the New Hateful Eight Engine !
I think Im just going to stick with my Stage IV Twinkie .
And Leave well enough alone .
Rooster

Old 05-24-2018, 07:08 AM
Heatwave
Received 1,077 Likes on 638 Posts

Originally Posted by Tn.Heritage
My understanding of this whole thread is, HD has redesigned the cases and want to try it out on your engine, is this correct Heatwave?
I cannot confirm that. I have no idea if the engine case has changed other than it has a new part number that designates that it is a 2019. I pick up the bike with its 2019 factory crate 117 Stage IV engine later today. But I have no idea what changes (if any) are inside the case since the dealership just installed it right out of the shipping crate, heat cycled it and is test riding it. I’ll be breaking it in (by the book) over the next few days heading to Rolling Thunder in DC and we’ll all find out if this latest engine solves the sumping issues.

Old 05-24-2018, 10:02 PM
Heatwave

Quick update. Picked up my 2017 CVO Limited with its 4th engine this afternoon. A factory built 117 Stage IV with a 2019 case. Yes...2019 case. Your engine case # can be viewed with a flashlight from under the right side of the engine. NOT the #s stamped on the bottom of the case but the numbers on the lower right side of the engine. The first 2 digits are the model year designation.

My dealer did a terrific job. The tech swapped out the engine in a single day. He's gotten pretty good as you can imagine since this is my 4th engine! (The tech and the shop got a very nice "bonus" from me for turning the bike around so quick, particularly given their work schedule this time of year.) The tech test rode it this morning. Of course it was a bit easier to install this crate engine because it had clearly been dynoed at the factory. Oil, fuel and coolant lines were installed as well as TB and injectors. There was even a bit of fuel still in the fuel line when it was uncrated.

I rode the bike 120 miles this afternoon. Interstate, backroads, 3 times around my 25 mile loop, stop & go commuter traffic too.

DAMN!!!

Gotcha.... that's a good DAMN! Of course its only 120 miles, but I know what to look for now and how to find early signs of sumping. I stayed within all break-in procedures even knowing the engine was probably run on a dyno. First 50 miles - under 3000 rpms. Everything else so far - around 3500 max. A few shifts slightly over but nothing over 3800.

There is definitely something different about this engine. MUCH crisper throttle response even running in 90 degrees. Much cooler running based on limited coolant fans turning on. I was surprised how little the fans were on given the outside temps. Fans really only came on in the stop & go commuter traffic and it was scorching just sitting in the sun. Much better torque down low than any of the 3 earlier engines.

I can't wait to explore the performance above 3500 after its more completely broken in and I have 400-500 miles on the engine (should be by late tomorrow).

Unfortunately I have no idea what's inside this engine other than its a 117 Stage IV built from a 2019 case at the factory. I will be riding it about 600-800 miles starting earlier tomorrow morning through Sunday and will have a much better idea if these early good signs are for real.

BUT, if this 2019 engine IS for real, this is EXACTLY the way all CVOs should be built. HD should stop screwing around and build the CVOs just like this with this engine. It will satisfy 95% of all riders, even power junkies. Its really that good!

Now let's see if my early enthusiasm remains through the weekend, or was all this just a mirage? I would really like to know what changes they've made to this engine because if it holds through the weekend, then the MoCo has finally made some real changes that make for a terrific engine. Look for an update around Memorial Day. Hopefully its a positive update and not a quick update from the side of the road waiting for a tow!!

The following 6 users liked this post by Heatwave:
bbissell (05-25-2018), Eccool (06-17-2018), Hardcase61 (05-24-2018), Michael Haz (05-25-2018), TedMan (05-25-2018), torchmaster (05-25-2018) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 05-24-2018, 10:18 PM
tommy1727
Advanced
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

If this one passes muster, you realize we are going to want you to take it apart to see what’s in there...JK

Old 05-24-2018, 10:28 PM
Heatwave

Originally Posted by tommy1727
If this one passes muster, you realize we are going to want you to take it apart to see what’s in there...JK
No kidding...me too!

Old 05-24-2018, 11:10 PM
$tonecold
Club Member
Received 1,741 Likes on 931 Posts

Originally Posted by Heatwave
No kidding...me too!
Maybe someone at the MOCO finally looked at what they did to solve the sumping problem in the TwinCam and incorporated it into this motor. It would be interesting to know what they’ve done, but if there’s significant changes it will probably be revealed soon after the new models come out.

Good Luck on your trip, hope everything goes well!

Heatwave (05-24-2018)
Old 05-24-2018, 11:33 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,528 Likes on 4,425 Posts

rooting for you big time, and the others with bad experiences, and the MOCO to hopefully have found a silver bullet and put this mess behind them

Quick Reply: Time for the 4th engine in my 2017 CVO Limited... here we go again!