Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

lotsa' repair and service today

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2018, 07:18 PM
MotoJockey
Stellar HDF Member

Received 3,060 Likes on 1,257 Posts

MJ- out of curiosity, did they find any issues with your steering head bearings? Did you notice any difference at all after they adjusted them?

Old 05-30-2018, 10:09 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,505 Likes on 4,415 Posts

Originally Posted by MotoJockey
MJ- out of curiosity, did they find any issues with your steering head bearings? Did you notice any difference at all after they adjusted them?
can't say, just rode it the 5 miles home..bike was there all day getting a ton of work done to it and was just after service hours closed that I got it, i rode it home easy because of new tire and brakes..in ~5000 miles I'll need new front tire and brakes, probably have them do wheel bearing too, maybe rotors since they cause a little pulsation...more KACHING.....but honestly it's important to me to have confidence in our bikes since we do a lot of touring and if it means replacing things and performing some services a little prematurely as part of PM then I can handle it..just noticed I rambled on beyond your question..LOL

The following users liked this post:
MotoJockey (05-31-2018)
Old 05-31-2018, 06:47 AM
psyshack
Road Warrior
Received 363 Likes on 266 Posts

Webby

Glad the bearing wear was caught and taken care of. I've lost wheel bearing at speed on other bikes. Not a experience I would wish on a enemy. Tires and bearings are sooooo damn important!

I had my OEM junker tires replaced at 10K miles not long ago. And told them to replace the bearings. But after a inspection they truly appeared to still be in great shape. Brake pads were on there way out. I was very hard on them last Bike, Blues and BBQ run. So I have new pads and fluid setting here for me to replace. Will completely flush the braking system and clutch with Brembo Dot 4. OOO I found the Brembo branded fluid at AutoZone for a very good price. I've had to have the dealer tighten the head bearings once and I've had to adjust them myself once. I hate getting road shock through the head stock so new head stock bearing will be installed this coming winter.

The following users liked this post:
mjwebb (05-31-2018)
Old 05-31-2018, 07:33 AM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by psyshack
Webby

Glad the bearing wear was caught and taken care of. I've lost wheel bearing at speed on other bikes. Not a experience I would wish on a enemy. Tires and bearings are sooooo damn important!

I had my OEM junker tires replaced at 10K miles not long ago. And told them to replace the bearings. But after a inspection they truly appeared to still be in great shape. Brake pads were on there way out. I was very hard on them last Bike, Blues and BBQ run. So I have new pads and fluid setting here for me to replace. Will completely flush the braking system and clutch with Brembo Dot 4. OOO I found the Brembo branded fluid at AutoZone for a very good price. I've had to have the dealer tighten the head bearings once and I've had to adjust them myself once. I hate getting road shock through the head stock so new head stock bearing will be installed this coming winter.
amen, I never think twice or feel bad about having to spend money on brakes, tires or bearings

Old 05-31-2018, 11:17 AM
Heatwave
Received 1,077 Likes on 638 Posts

Originally Posted by mjwebb
did 20K service, flushed all hydraulic fluids, adjusted steering head bearing, needed rear tire..they found the rear wheel bearing disintegrating, rotor damaged and sprocket pulley and bearing..all done under warranty,,had them put on new pads..so final bill was $1133 for everything, all refreshed and peace of mind heading out on long trips..if I hadn't noticed the nail in the tire all the other stuff would have likely gone unnoticed and could have been catastrophic
Great catch!!! How many miles did you get out of your rear tire? My rear factory Dunlop was like a slick after 8800 miles. I just spent $750 for new Michelin Commander IIs on the front and rear plus I went with microbeads instead of balancing weights. I have the same setup on my other bike and I'll never go back to stick on weights. I also got a free oil service and filter since this 1000m service was on my replacement engine (#4) and I had already paid for the same service on engine #1.

Last edited by Heatwave; 05-31-2018 at 11:24 AM.
Old 05-31-2018, 11:39 AM
carpetride
Elite HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Bearings going out that early is such a bunch of crap. They should go 100,000 miles. Hell car and truck bearings don't fail like that and they have a lot more weight on them. Such friggin BS!

Old 05-31-2018, 11:54 AM
Pachuco
Cruiser
Received 70 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by carpetride
Bearings going out that early is such a bunch of crap. They should go 100,000 miles. Hell car and truck bearings don't fail like that and they have a lot more weight on them. Such friggin BS!
It is BS!...my rear bearings went out at 12,000. I noticed a wobble in the back...On fresh smooth asphalt it felt like I was riding on grooved concrete road. Did not notice any sound. Rode home and there were only two ***** left in the brake side bearing race...the rest was disintegrated. I replaced rear tire at 10,000 and the bearing seemed fine at that time. I put on about 10,000 miles a year.

Old 05-31-2018, 12:04 PM
carpetride
Elite HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Pachuco
It is BS!...my rear bearings went out at 12,000. I noticed a wobble in the back...On fresh smooth asphalt it felt like I was riding on grooved concrete road. Did not notice any sound. Rode home and there were only two ***** left in the brake side bearing race...the rest was disintegrated. I replaced rear tire at 10,000 and the bearing seemed fine at that time. I put on about 10,000 miles a year.
Exactly! It's a fuking safety issue!!! I ride 2 up prolly 90 % of the time. This new bike weighs 900 lbs before riders. And I have to worry about friggin bearings? Geezus! I had new aftermarket wheels put on my RK and have over 30,000 miles on those bearings. No issues. WTF is the MOCOs problem! This bearing **** has been going on for decades.

Last edited by carpetride; 05-31-2018 at 12:07 PM.
Old 05-31-2018, 05:59 PM
mike79
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MTBIG G
Youch!!! Rear wheel bearing is pretty concerning. Glad it was dicovered and repaired.

Curious, did you notice any odd noise or anything else out of the ordinary? I'm starting to hear some noise that can only described as a howling from the rear tire area. Its especially noticeable when corering and rolling off the throttle.
The howling you are hearing is your rear Dunlop tire. When it gets about 10K on it it will howl when cornering. It will go away when you replace the tire.

Old 05-31-2018, 07:50 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Heatwave
Great catch!!! How many miles did you get out of your rear tire? My rear factory Dunlop was like a slick after 8800 miles. I just spent $750 for new Michelin Commander IIs on the front and rear plus I went with microbeads instead of balancing weights. I have the same setup on my other bike and I'll never go back to stick on weights. I also got a free oil service and filter since this 1000m service was on my replacement engine (#4) and I had already paid for the same service on engine #1.
OEM got nail at 10K, would not have ran it to 12K..fast forward to this week, Dunlop American Elite with 10K nail in it again! would have probably made it to 14K..they start off with 1/32 more tread front and rear than the Dunlop OEM 402, 407/408 combo or whatever they are..used the AE's on last bike and couldn't wait to get them on the M8..they are definitely better overall

Quick Reply: lotsa' repair and service today