Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any truth to this oil migration rumor?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2018, 08:21 AM
BrandonSmith
Club Member
Received 2,227 Likes on 1,410 Posts

No truth to it at all. I was telling the dealership about the first time it happened and they told me I was crazy. The second and third time it happened, I began to question myself, and the dealership told me it was all in my head. I mean, really, I remember checking the level before leaving in the morning, riding all day, and then checking it again the next morning.

Had I really siphoned transmission fluid and put it in the primary in my sleep? Or while riding the day prior? All without tools? I've got an appointment with a shrink tomorrow, so I'll let you know if it was possible for me to do that without remembering, then we can really start to get closer to a real answer to your question. Or maybe someone came by in the still of the night and siphoned the fluid from transmission and placed it in the primary as part of some cruel joke... IDK!

Old 06-13-2018, 08:25 AM
BrandonSmith
Club Member
Received 2,227 Likes on 1,410 Posts

Originally Posted by Keithhu
Very few states where lemon laws cover motor sports.

There will be no class action law suite, yall are smoking an enormous Turkish hookah.
Federal law supersedes any state law. The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act is a Federal lemon law which applies to all consumer products, including automobile, trucks, motorcycles, RVs, boats, and all other ordinary consumer products including computers and household appliances.

The following users liked this post:
Tony P (06-13-2018)
Old 06-13-2018, 08:38 AM
Tony P
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 334 Likes on 203 Posts

The nice thing about having a warranty and a second bike - you don't care as much about failure. You just ride and enjoy.

Old 06-13-2018, 09:20 AM
jpooch00
Elite HDF Member
Received 265 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by Keithhu
Very few states where lemon laws cover motor sports.

There will be no class action law suite, yall are smoking an enormous Turkish hookah.

I'm sure that the lowlifes at the MoCo are fervently praying that you're right.

Continuing sales of a product with known and documented defects and no fix in sight after going on three model years shouldn't be ignored or tolerated. Surely they can't be allowed to keep getting away with that crap scott-free forever.

Last edited by jpooch00; 06-13-2018 at 09:21 AM.
Old 06-13-2018, 09:37 AM
strych9
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,172 Likes on 3,523 Posts

I'd still like to see the stats on these reported transfer issues. It's a matter of numbers. Out of X number of bikes sold, how many are documented to have the transfer issue? I know at least 8 RG/SG M8 owners who I ride with who, like myself, haven't had any issues with their bikes. Zero. I'm currently @ 6500 miles and with the last transmission fluid change @ 1K, have had minimal loss of transmission fluid. Not enough to add. If that's as bad as it gets, nothing to see here.

I just think the guys that really do have these problems are the most vocal, and rightfully so. But I would also venture a guess that a small percentage of the whole really have a problem that needs attention to get corrected. If only we could see numbers.

Last edited by strych9; 06-13-2018 at 09:53 AM.
Old 06-13-2018, 11:15 AM
Tony P
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 334 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by strych9
I'd still like to see the stats on these reported transfer issues. It's a matter of numbers. Out of X number of bikes sold, how many are documented to have the transfer issue? I know at least 8 RG/SG M8 owners who I ride with who, like myself, haven't had any issues with their bikes. Zero. I'm currently @ 6500 miles and with the last transmission fluid change @ 1K, have had minimal loss of transmission fluid. Not enough to add. If that's as bad as it gets, nothing to see here.

I just think the guys that really do have these problems are the most vocal, and rightfully so. But I would also venture a guess that a small percentage of the whole really have a problem that needs attention to get corrected. If only we could see numbers.
I heard around 12%, which is still too much, but not the doom and gloom we are subjected to on the forum.

Old 06-13-2018, 12:13 PM
FatBob2018
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,228 Likes on 1,267 Posts

Originally Posted by Falcon195
I have been reading the posts about the oil migration issue with the M8's.
I have also read that the oil migration issue only affects the bikes with hydraulic clutches (touring models) but doesn't affect the new 2018 softails M8's, as they have a manual cable operated clutch.
Is this true or rumor. I would like to know this information, as I am looking at purchasing a new 2018 softail lowrider M8.
Thanks for your time.
Only Harley knows the true truth. We only know what the members here have reported. So, as a summary:
I have also read that the oil migration issue only affects the bikes with hydraulic clutches (touring models) but doesn't affect the new 2018 softails M8's, as they have a manual cable operated clutch.
I don't believe there's been a single report on this forum from any Softail M8 owner claiming oil transfer. I don't follow other forums so I don't know if someone else has reported it, but I don't think any Softail owner here on this forum has reported it.

Old 06-13-2018, 01:38 PM
Takedown
Cruiser
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Tony P
I heard around 12%, which is still too much, but not the doom and gloom we are subjected to on the forum.
If it truly is 12% that is pretty dang bad! I understand that a lot of people have M8's with zero problems, but how many of those were purchased prior to the issues being known? I wonder how many of those would do it again knowing there was a 12% chance their bike would have problems. It's certainly not hard to understand why a lot of people would pause or even refuse to drop 20k+ on a bike with the current issues.

Old 06-13-2018, 02:41 PM
strych9
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,172 Likes on 3,523 Posts

If 12%, then a free MoCo repair campaign (factory warranty extension) would absolutely be justified. 5% would be a reasonable number. 12% isn't, but how accurate is it?

Old 06-13-2018, 02:46 PM
QNman
Supporter
Received 3,706 Likes on 1,987 Posts

Originally Posted by strych9
If 12%, then a free MoCo repair campaign (factory warranty extension) would absolutely be justified. 5% would be a reasonable number. 12% isn't, but how accurate is it?
It's on the internet... must be factual. 112% of what you read on the internet is factual. The other 89% is made up.

The following users liked this post:
PFWiz (06-14-2018)

Quick Reply: Any truth to this oil migration rumor?