Sponsored by:

I own one so I can say Harley's are JUNK for what we spend

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2018, 04:47 AM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,063 Likes on 2,501 Posts

Originally Posted by ekb55
My 2nd M8 Harley. Zero issue with both engines. Could not be happier. Great day today riding. Beyond doubt the smoothest most refined Harley I’ve ever ridden. Stock M8 107.

According to your posts you had a 2017 M8 that transferred trans fluid to the primary. Apparently, the dealer couldn't resolve your problem so you traded it in for a 2018. THAT's the reason Harley gets away with putting out substandard quality year after year. The only way to make a company provide a quality product is to speak up about it's flaws and starve them if they don't correct it. Technically, what you posted above isn't a lie, the transmission and primary aren't the engine but it is certainly a misleading statement.

There are two things that new people here don't seem to get:

There are those of us that are passionate about our Harley Davidson motorcycles but not passionate about what Harley is currently building. We have spent thousands of dollars correcting HD's mistakes and/or poor quality and have no intention of rewarding bad behavior or starting the money train up just to do it all over again with a new bike. Just because some of us don't like what Harley is currently producing doesn't mean we shouldn't be here or enjoy the camaraderie of fellow Harley Davidson enthusiasts. In many cases, it's the "old guys" that solve problems for the crowd Harley is trying to attract now.

The other thing that new Harley riders/early adopters don't get is that HD has ALWAYS had problems with new designs. It's part of manufacturing but HD seems to have more trouble than the next company that makes motorcycles. Some people that buy the first models of HD's latest and greatest seem to think that when somebody has a problem or issue and reports it they can avoid having that problem on their bike if they call people liars, trolls or shout them down. I hold this akin to a 4 year old child playing hide and seek by closing their eyes. Eventually, there are just too many failures to ignore and the "mine runs great!" crowd quietly slips off into sunset, sometimes after having said failures themselves. HD has priced themselves as a premium product and they should be held accountable.

Post 66
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/milwa...l#post17005424

Post 2610
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/milwa...l#post17015250

Post 2611
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/milwa...l#post17024202

Here's how you solved the problem you said you never had:

Post 1
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/milwa...l#post17528241

Last edited by Campy Roadie; 08-05-2018 at 05:06 AM.
The following 5 users liked this post by Campy Roadie:
2013superglideseattle (08-05-2018), Dynamick (08-05-2018), Gozzie (08-05-2018), jd05flhtci (08-05-2018), oleboy (08-05-2018)
Old 08-05-2018, 05:29 AM
ekb55
Tourer
Received 82 Likes on 55 Posts
Default Engine

There is nothing technically wrong about my statement. The M8 engine is a M8 engine. The transmission is the transmission. I stand by my statement. Both of my M8 equipped Harley’s engines have been great. However I’m glad I gave you something to do. Apparently you get more enjoyment riding the forums than a motorcycle.

Ill be checking back back in a day or two, I’ll be out riding my M8 Anniversary bike. Man I love this engine 😊.

The following 2 users liked this post by ekb55:
badcooky (08-05-2018), Redlegvzv (08-05-2018)
Old 08-05-2018, 05:41 AM
GOV5
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,450 Likes on 932 Posts

Originally Posted by Nomadmax
According to your posts you had a 2017 M8 that transferred trans fluid to the primary. Apparently, the dealer couldn't resolve your problem so you traded it in for a 2018. THAT's the reason Harley gets away with putting out substandard quality year after year. The only way to make a company provide a quality product is to speak up about it's flaws and starve them if they don't correct it. Technically, what you posted above isn't a lie, the transmission and primary aren't the engine but it is certainly a misleading statement.

There are two things that new people here don't seem to get:

There are those of us that are passionate about our Harley Davidson motorcycles but not passionate about what Harley is currently building. We have spent thousands of dollars correcting HD's mistakes and/or poor quality and have no intention of rewarding bad behavior or starting the money train up just to do it all over again with a new bike. Just because some of us don't like what Harley is currently producing doesn't mean we shouldn't be here or enjoy the camaraderie of fellow Harley Davidson enthusiasts. In many cases, it's the "old guys" that solve problems for the crowd Harley is trying to attract now.

The other thing that new Harley riders/early adopters don't get is that HD has ALWAYS had problems with new designs. It's part of manufacturing but HD seems to have more trouble than the next company that makes motorcycles. Some people that buy the first models of HD's latest and greatest seem to think that when somebody has a problem or issue and reports it they can avoid having that problem on their bike if they call people liars, trolls or shout them down. I hold this akin to a 4 year old child playing hide and seek by closing their eyes. Eventually, there are just too many failures to ignore and the "mine runs great!" crowd quietly slips off into sunset, sometimes after having said failures themselves. HD has priced themselves as a premium product and they should be held accountable.

Post 66
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/milwa...l#post17005424

Post 2610
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/milwa...l#post17015250

Post 2611
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/milwa...l#post17024202

Here's how you solved the problem you said you never had:

Post 1
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/milwa...l#post17528241
Your post is a GREAT one about the two issues you stated. But, I don't think it's just the new folks that don't get it. There are some older folks too that call you a liar, question your gender, and/or call you, and ME, a troll. .
You are 100% correct that HD HAS had problems with first year designs. I know, because I have been the recipient of their flaws. My 2007 Ultra Classic was the worst Harley I've ever owned. It was the first year of the six speed transmission.
But even I could live with a "first year" flaw, IF...they would fix it after the first year! Many flaws have been left in the manufacturing for YEARS. THAT IS WHAT PISSES ME OFF!
And for those that call us "whiners"...a whine is one who sulks about it....I am one who raises total HELL about it!
What we are saying is that we deserve, for the absolute expense price we are paying, a MUCH better made care-free bike. And we deserve from the Motor Company, a MUCH better attitude and resolve in fixing said problems with quick response....i.e., same problems not being in next year's model, AND a fix RIGHT NOW for the problem we have with our bike, AND us as the owners not having the FIX paid for by US.
I don't think that's too much to ask for.

The following users liked this post:
Campy Roadie (08-05-2018)
Old 08-05-2018, 07:06 AM
ntraindavefl
Road Warrior
Received 333 Likes on 234 Posts

Originally Posted by GOV5
Your post is a GREAT one about the two issues you stated. But, I don't think it's just the new folks that don't get it. There are some older folks too that call you a liar, question your gender, and/or call you, and ME, a troll. .
You are 100% correct that HD HAS had problems with first year designs. I know, because I have been the recipient of their flaws. My 2007 Ultra Classic was the worst Harley I've ever owned. It was the first year of the six speed transmission.
But even I could live with a "first year" flaw, IF...they would fix it after the first year! Many flaws have been left in the manufacturing for YEARS. THAT IS WHAT PISSES ME OFF!
And for those that call us "whiners"...a whine is one who sulks about it....I am one who raises total HELL about it!
What we are saying is that we deserve, for the absolute expense price we are paying, a MUCH better made care-free bike. And we deserve from the Motor Company, a MUCH better attitude and resolve in fixing said problems with quick response....i.e., same problems not being in next year's model, AND a fix RIGHT NOW for the problem we have with our bike, AND us as the owners not having the FIX paid for by US.
I don't think that's too much to ask for.
Yes to all that. For all the issues to repeat year after year w no change should and will hurt business. I would add a M8 to my fleet today if I had assurances these problems were delt with and not the bandaid kind. I hope someone from their PR department reads this stuff and passes it up the food chain. They have a lot of nerve putting out a motor that I guarantee they knew had these potential issues in 2017. They just had to roll it out because of deadlines. Here’s what a friend working at a dealer said yesterday “ Harley does 20% of their R&D at the factory and 80% done by the dealerships service departments after the fact” a nice in house jab at warranty work numbers fueling the next move by the MOCO. It’s a shame they think so little of us.
Like myself I hope thousands of others hold back and send a bottom line message to HQ. And trust me, with all the testing they put motors through, they knew the issues and released it anyways and they’re probably unwilling to redesign, retool production for a while if not permanently.

The following 2 users liked this post by ntraindavefl:
Campy Roadie (08-05-2018), jamala00 (08-05-2018)
Old 08-05-2018, 07:22 AM
lonesum
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 325 Likes on 217 Posts

Some states have a Lemon Law, take it back a couple of times and get it fixed or get a mouthpiece and let the courts handle it

Old 08-05-2018, 08:40 AM
texaswiz
Banned
Received 67 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Kingglide549
We have a triathlon of interdependent subjected peons attempting to make light of the Godzeela out in the woods.
Albeit the treetops can be seen shaken and slammed dwn like grass under a hoof the retort is too take no note ",it
will be all OK after you are eaten."
Dude, sometimes I wonder if you are taking meds when you are typing.

The following users liked this post:
Xcrossbow (08-05-2018)
Old 08-05-2018, 11:03 AM
donk_316
Road Master
Received 72 Likes on 49 Posts

Long story short - sometimes new things have issues.

Old 08-05-2018, 03:29 PM
FatBob2018
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,228 Likes on 1,267 Posts

Originally Posted by lonesum
Some states have a Lemon Law, take it back a couple of times and get it fixed or get a mouthpiece and let the courts handle it
About half the states have lemon laws that cover motorcycles, the other half actually exclude motorcycles from their lemon laws. So yeah, definitely check your state laws.

Old 02-07-2019, 07:17 PM
patjj
Novice
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I googled it........Are Harleys reliable?
Harleys are VERY reliable, but you need to take care of them correctly, and failing to do so will result in unreliable bike. ... Harleys are reliable bikes, but no vehicle will remain reliable if you neglect to take care of it properly.Mar 23, 2017.................The reliability ratings are based on failure rates for 4-year-old bikes:
  • Yamaha/Star (11 percent failure rate)
  • Suzuki and Honda (12 percent)
  • Kawasaki (15 percent)
  • Victory (17 percent)
  • Harley-Davidson (26 percent)
  • Triumph (29 percent)
  • Ducati (33 percent)
  • BMW (40 percent)

Old 02-07-2019, 07:19 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,523 Likes on 4,424 Posts

Originally Posted by patjj
I googled it........Are Harleys reliable?
Harleys are VERY reliable, but you need to take care of them correctly, and failing to do so will result in unreliable bike. ... Harleys are reliable bikes, but no vehicle will remain reliable if you neglect to take care of it properly.Mar 23, 2017.................The reliability ratings are based on failure rates for 4-year-old bikes:
  • Yamaha/Star (11 percent failure rate)
  • Suzuki and Honda (12 percent)
  • Kawasaki (15 percent)
  • Victory (17 percent)
  • Harley-Davidson (26 percent)
  • Triumph (29 percent)
  • Ducati (33 percent)
  • BMW (40 percent)
same thing they say if you Google Volkswagens but I don't trust VW worth a crap. My M8 has been 'reliable' in the fact it has never broke down, left me stranded or ruined an outing..but it has had its share of repairs needed in the 30,000 miles I've put on it, thank God for the warranty and the reason I extended it

Last edited by mjwebb; 02-07-2019 at 07:23 PM.

Quick Reply: I own one so I can say Harley's are JUNK for what we spend