Sponsored by:

I own one so I can say Harley's are JUNK for what we spend

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2018, 08:31 AM
DRBUICK
Road Master
Received 322 Likes on 202 Posts
Default I own one so I can say Harley's are JUNK for what we spend

Ok I know this will start a **** show but I have found out for what you spend Harley's are junk and most dealers service follows for what I hear.

first we can talk sumping, transfer of fluids, bad radios. valve seats. loose guides, clutch problems, master problems.

All this is coming from people talking at bike nights, get together's , shows, services dept

its like you need to buy a bike and spend X amount of money to fix problems'

And yes I know that there are a lot of Harleys that have not had a problem but the problems that people have should not be happening. for the almost 30g you spend on a touring bike

maybe they need to get employees off there cell phones and have them check parts ( been on tours)

The following 6 users liked this post by DRBUICK:
jpooch00 (06-13-2018), moonie48 (07-02-2018), patjj (02-07-2019), rauchman (07-06-2018), u wish u could ride (02-21-2019), william piriczky (01-27-2020) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)

Top Answer

06-12-2018, 07:44 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 929 Likes on 571 Posts

OP - What say you about the three model years that Gold Wings had faulty frames that needed a local welder to fix. Or the several years of VTX Hondas with final drive bearing failures.
Better yet the 2018 Gold Wings that their new front suspension is falling apart within a few hundred miles.

Go read BMW forums or even Corvette forums where you will find as much or more bitching about the product along with I paid X amount and nothing should happen.

I have had 33 H-D's and have experienced none of the issues that according to this forum must happen to them. That involves over 400K on them collectively from Key West to the Arctic Circle and ocean to ocean. No compensator, cam tensioners. ABS, trans main shaft bearing, stator, voltage regulator etc. They got me home every time.

To me they are works of art and worth every penny that I have put into them. You couldn't pry the 26 that are in my garage from my cold dead hands. That includes the 17RGS with 11K and the 18 Fat Bob S with 1K.

So, just what failed on your bike?

Last edited by lh4x4; 06-12-2018 at 07:53 PM.
Old 06-12-2018, 08:36 AM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,535 Likes on 4,429 Posts

Originally Posted by DRBUICK
Ok I know this will start a **** show but I have found out for what you spend Harley's are junk and most dealers service follows for what I hear.

first we can talk sumping, transfer of fluids, bad radios. valve seats. loose guides, clutch problems, master problems.

All this is coming from people talking at bike nights, get together's , shows, services dept

its like you need to buy a bike and spend X amount of money to fix problems'

And yes I know that there are a lot of Harleys that have not had a problem but the problems that people have should not be happening. for the almost 30g you spend on a touring bike

maybe they need to get employees off there cell phones and have them check parts ( been on tours)
from strictly a 'value' standpoint that's hard to argue..especially when you are talking CVOs..at those prices they should be Lexus quality imo

The following users liked this post:
Torky_SOB (06-13-2018)
Old 06-12-2018, 08:38 AM
PapaThiele
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,707 Likes on 2,158 Posts

They all do that!

The following 2 users liked this post by PapaThiele:
Mathis (07-03-2018), talkingrock (06-13-2018)
Old 06-12-2018, 08:41 AM
DRBUICK
Road Master

Originally Posted by mjwebb
from strictly a 'value' standpoint that's hard to argue..especially when you are talking CVOs..at those prices they should be Lexus quality imo
I agree my friend has a cvo ultra 2016 and been in 5 times in two weeks for stupid things and it like no one cares , we have your money
I look at what goes in a car to build it and man wtf I think

Last edited by DRBUICK; 06-12-2018 at 08:42 AM.
Old 06-12-2018, 08:42 AM
SavageChopper
Tourer
Received 63 Likes on 38 Posts

I don't totally disagree with this statement. For the money, we should be getting the good parts instead of finding them in the SE catalog. I'm not talking that they should be put on the show floor with the intention of hitting the rev limiter at every shift, but things like having to replace a cheap bearing and lifters just to do a cam install is aggravating on something I just spent 25K on. And why not install the torque cams that meet EPA specs right off the bat? Is there someone that would really complain about the torque? Don't even get me started on the Chinese parts littering the showroom.

I do love my RKS, especially after installing the CR460 cam, but Harley is too busy paying bonuses to worry about building a top-notch motorcycle anymore.

DRBUICK (06-12-2018)
Old 06-12-2018, 08:44 AM
DRBUICK
Road Master

Originally Posted by SavageChopper
I don't totally disagree with this statement. For the money, we should be getting the good parts instead of finding them in the SE catalog. I'm not talking that they should be put on the show floor with the intention of hitting the rev limiter at every shift, but things like having to replace a cheap bearing and lifters just to do a cam install is aggravating on something I just spent 25K on. And why not install the torque cams that meet EPA specs right off the bat? Is there someone that would really complain about the torque? Don't even get me started on the Chinese parts littering the showroom.

I do love my RKS, especially after installing the CR460 cam, but Harley is too busy paying bonuses to worry about building a top-notch motorcycle anymore.
I bought a set of SE heads for my M8 and every valve seat was loose causing a running problem

Old 06-12-2018, 08:46 AM
Cowboy Rob
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 2,565 Likes on 1,497 Posts

I remember you sold your build to buy a CVO, just curious which one you picked?

Old 06-12-2018, 08:48 AM
DRBUICK
Road Master

Originally Posted by Cowboy Rob
I remember you sold your build to buy a CVO, just curious which one you picked?
I bought a frame and built my own

Mattbastard (06-13-2018)
Old 06-12-2018, 08:48 AM
AZRenegade
Tourer
Received 84 Likes on 44 Posts

It's the same scenario that killed the American auto industry in the late '60s early 70's. I remember a time when my family went to pick up a new Plymouth Fury. Upon getting into the car, we noticed an imperfection in the driver's seat upholstery. The salesman told us not to schedule any warranty service but to wait a couple of weeks and come back with a list of things that would need fixing. He said it would be more efficient that way. Save us a few trips to the dealer. Unfortunately, he was correct. Harley doesn't seem to have learned from it's own history as well as that of the auto industry and they are repeating it. More and more they are relying on their hype and the "American Iron" theme to push sales. American consumers don't stay stupid for long and I think it is beginning to show in their sales figures.

Torky_SOB (06-13-2018)
Old 06-12-2018, 09:01 AM
tbob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 690 Likes on 465 Posts

Bought my first one in 1976, and to be honest it's always been the same. Hell can you imagine the young guy's on here having to carry a spare chain and oil around. You didn't have five dealers in every town in those day's . I alway's made sure the bike was pleasure and not my main transportation.

The following 2 users liked this post by tbob:
Captain Itch (08-01-2018), Long lonesome highwayman (04-25-2019)

Quick Reply: I own one so I can say Harley's are JUNK for what we spend