Sponsored by:

2018 114 Air Filter Options

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2018, 11:33 AM
yeliabp
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2018 114 Air Filter Options

My 2018 Fat Bob 114 air filter is dripping with blow by oil so went to get a new one and found out they have been backordered for over two months. What is everyone using? Don't want to spend a lot until I figure out what is going on with the excessive amount of oil getting into the breather cover.

Old 06-13-2018, 12:08 PM
$tonecold
Club Member
Received 1,731 Likes on 927 Posts

Originally Posted by yeliabp
My 2018 Fat Bob 114 air filter is dripping with blow by oil so went to get a new one and found out they have been backordered for over two months. What is everyone using? Don't want to spend a lot until I figure out what is going on with the excessive amount of oil getting into the breather cover.
I would take it to the dealer and let them figure out why it is blowing by so much oil. This should be a warranty covered problem.

The following users liked this post:
Eccool (06-13-2018)
Old 06-13-2018, 02:56 PM
yeliabp
Intermediate

That is the next step. Thanks

Old 06-13-2018, 03:09 PM
bad tappets
Road Warrior
Received 405 Likes on 326 Posts

Can you clean your air filter? Many are cleanable.

Old 06-13-2018, 08:52 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,505 Likes on 4,415 Posts

clean it and make sure you don't overfill with oil..if it's Full Hot and ridden hard in hot weather...well..they all do that!...and always have, designed to....unless what you're experiencing is so excessive it's splattering all over the place

Old 06-15-2018, 06:58 AM
yeliabp
Intermediate

The original filter not cleanable due to the amount of oil it soaked up, and believe it or not but the oil level was never high. Thanks to a tip from Confederate I have read the threads on oil blow by, external breathers and bypass efforts and now know what must be done. Since there are no filters to be had right now, I just put it back on the bike and will ride as is. until replacement is available.

Thanks to all for the help.

Old 06-15-2018, 08:17 AM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,505 Likes on 4,415 Posts

The original filter not cleanable due to the amount of oil it soaked up, and believe it or not but the oil level was never high. Thanks to a tip from Confederate I have read the threads on oil blow by, external breathers and bypass efforts and now know what must be done. Since there are no filters to be had right now, I just put it back on the bike and will ride as is. until replacement is available.

well that breather bypass is a workaround rather than a solution to the root cause and if is as excessive as you say it is not normal considering your oil level was not overly full..I suggest you let the dealership investigate first since it's under warranty..and if you install the bypass and take it somewhere for a problem under warranty they can deny powertrain because it's an emissions defeating modification..food for thought anyway, good luck

Old 06-15-2018, 11:44 PM
LA VIC
Road Master
Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts

Why do you think the filter is not cleanable? Does your owner manual say so? IIRC Harley air filters have been made from synthetic material as opposed to paper for years. They're meant to run dry and not be oiled but cleaning with a good liquid soap and water is SOP.