Sponsored by:

Blew the Baffles out of Eliminator 400's

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2018, 07:28 PM
psyshack
Road Warrior
Received 363 Likes on 266 Posts
Default Blew the Baffles out of Eliminator 400's

What a day! Riding into work this morning about 20 miles away from the house I started hearing a rattle and banging noise. Honestly I thought the motor was letting go. So I slowed it down to about 65 mph then all hell broke loose. Baffles shot out of the mufflers right in front of the Glenpool cops and the OHP on hwy 75. They were working a pedestrian vs truck death wreck in the south bound lanes and had that all shut down. Anyway I look in the mirrors and see my baffles and end caps tumbling down the hwy behind me. Fair amount of traffic behind me all of which I had just passed. Very greatful the baffles didn't hit any vehicles and nobody got hurt. So I had to ride the detour route back to get them. Tore up the end caps and baffles pretty good. I don't think I will be using them again.

I collected my junk parts, strapped them down on the luggage rack and went on in to work. Found out real quick TQ was hurt bad and so was HP. With a decat head pipe and the guts gone from the cans it was horrible. Major loss in power and it sounds like crap! I knew the low end would be gone. But it also destroyed the top end. And did I mention it sounds like CRAP!!!! Off idle response is gone. It doesn't sound good at idle or anywhere in the throttle range. It does sound good oddly enough off throttle when shifting or decel.

I'm not going to buy replacement baffles and caps for those cans. So after the bike cools down I will put the stock muffles back on the bike enjoy some quiet time. I bet the TQ will come back in spades with the current tune and the mpg will come back up a tad.

I was shocked at how damn bad my M8 sounded uncorked. It was nice to not be able to here the heads rattle and some of it's other noises that drive me nuts. But it literally sounds like something dying going down the road. The worse uncorked internal combustion engine exhaust note I've ever heard,,, In My Life!

Glad I kept my stockers.

Last edited by psyshack; 06-15-2018 at 07:32 PM.
Old 06-15-2018, 07:40 PM
Dan D.
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1,717 Likes on 890 Posts

Sounds like you two have a hate/hate relationship now...

Time for a divorce.

Old 06-15-2018, 08:43 PM
psyshack
Road Warrior

Just put the stockers back on and went for a ride. What a difference! Even better than the Eliminator 400's corked. All the low end is back plus the effort the SE TQ cam is making. The stock mufflers only have 150 miles on them if that. So they still need to break in. With the decat and the se TQ cam it has a bit of rumble and when you twist the grip there is a muted bark to be had. And it will be much nicer blasting down the hwy now.

I'm impressed!

Old 06-15-2018, 09:18 PM
psyshack
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Dan D.
Sounds like you two have a hate/hate relationship now...

Time for a divorce.
I don't hate the bike and it has no hate for me. Now the MoCo,,, there are some people there that need some dead in there lives,,, no doubt about it....

Old 06-16-2018, 08:04 AM
dwagar
Road Master
Received 65 Likes on 49 Posts

I ditched my Eliminator 400's for a set of Street Cannons. That gave me back the torque I had been missing.

Old 06-16-2018, 08:14 AM
Yamaharley
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 545 Likes on 421 Posts

Originally Posted by psyshack
I don't hate the bike and it has no hate for me. Now the MoCo,,, there are some people there that need some dead in there lives,,, no doubt about it....
I was telling my indy awhile back how I love the bikes but hate the company with a passion and he looks at me and says "Yeah, don't all harley owners?" Hahaha

Dam psyshack im glad youre ok and those flying baffles didnt cause a car to wreck. I remember loosing the battery cover off of my dyna going down the road once... only noticed it when i got home.

Old 06-16-2018, 08:23 AM
purpledeuce
Elite HDF Member
Received 642 Likes on 377 Posts

When I started riding 17 years back, I’d often hear guys saying FTF. I was blind and thought they were all full of it. I suppose it’s like anything else, the longer we live the more we understand

Old 06-16-2018, 11:06 PM
cajun1962
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dwagar
I ditched my Eliminator 400's for a set of Street Cannons. That gave me back the torque I had been missing.
I am about to get new exhaust for my Trike. I am either going with Street Cannon slip on or V&H power dual header with eliminator 400. Your statement has me concerned