Sponsored by:

Head gasket leak

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2018, 10:05 AM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,916 Likes on 17,473 Posts
Angry Head gasket leak

Well crap, seems I've joined the club, Rear head gasket is leaking oil under the exhaust port. Today's mission is see what dealer around here I can get the bike into in a timely fashion, last time I tried warranty work it was a 6 week wait.

Old 06-16-2018, 10:11 AM
SomeOld Biker
Road Master
Received 268 Likes on 202 Posts

Sorry to hear that happen now that the riding season is here. Hope you get it fixed soon. BTW how many miles on her?

Old 06-16-2018, 11:54 AM
ROCKOUT Rocker Products
Sponsor
Received 1,628 Likes on 1,176 Posts

Good luck. Livermore HD once told me I could make an appointment.... not to have it fixed but to drop it off to someday have it fixed.

Eagle's Nest... My bike popped a coolant pump one exit from their dealership. I have HOG towing that would have towed it there for free.

I paid $300+ instead to have it towed to my house.... that tell you anything?

I've had good experiences at McGuire's, except that they charge list +10% for parts but that won't apply in your case.

__________________________________________________ ____
For ROCKOUT information & purchasing please click HERE For all Twin Cams and Evo Big Twins & Sportsters

Also on amazon.com...
Imitated, never equaled... ROCKOUTS!

Old 06-16-2018, 01:35 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member

Well f**k, having a warranty is next to useless it seems , nobody I'd take it to around here can get me in till mid July. So choices are sit on my thumbs for a month or do it myself and possibly kiss any remaining warranty goodby. Talking to these guys has been an eye opener, just about has me decided on going it myself. Give the info and a detailed description of the issue and where the leak is and every one repeated back something different to me, no the rocker box isn't leaking, no the oil cooler manifold isn't leaking, no the pushrod tubes aren't leaking, it's at the head gasket seam at the mating surfaces nowhere else. Well bring it in and we'll be able to do a diagnoses by the 22nd then schedule a tech to do the work sometime in july, 4 dealers I got the same story from.

Old 06-16-2018, 01:54 PM
KrustyKush
Road Master
Received 431 Likes on 287 Posts

Yeah that's a tough one. I'd do it myself. My 2016 rear rocker box started leaking when it was new. It never occurred to me to take the bike to the selling dealer shop for a warranty repair. It isn't that hard. You may have something wrong that caused the gasket to fail, but sometimes gaskets just spring leaks. Your repair will be more complicated than just the rocker box I had, but it still isn't all that hard I'd betcha. Good luck,

Old 06-16-2018, 04:27 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member

After spending the morning doing some serious digging online about this issue the bike went to the dealer anyway, been a few with actual issues with the head itself and my luck would be mine would be another. Guess this isn't rare as they knew off hand exactly how long the R&R would take without looking it up, 6 hour job.

Now I just need to decide if it's time to throw some adjustable rocker arms in while it's down this far. Toss them a money bone maybe it'll hit the rack a bit quicker.

Last edited by TwiZted Biker; 06-16-2018 at 04:37 PM.
Old 06-16-2018, 04:35 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,252 Likes on 3,626 Posts

Originally Posted by TwiZted

Now I just need to decide if it's time to throw some adjustable rocker arms while it's down this far. Throw them a money bone maybe it'll hit the rack a bit quicker.
What for?.. Then you 'd have to adjust it.. Kinda like installing adjustable pushrods and nothing else..

Last edited by Max Headflow; 06-16-2018 at 06:33 PM. Reason: ]
Old 06-16-2018, 06:18 PM
Oldpanrider
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'd think no more then 2 to 3 hours max to do the job. If you got the proper tools do it and have fun riding.

Old 06-16-2018, 10:45 PM
Retrop
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 127 Likes on 84 Posts

I blew a rear head gasket a month ago. The MOCO told them they would send out a "head gasket kit". That tells me that this is fairly commonplace because they already have a kit ready to go. The kit consisted of head gaskets and O- rings for both cylinders.

Old 06-17-2018, 09:31 AM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,252 Likes on 3,626 Posts

Originally Posted by Retrop
I blew a rear head gasket a month ago. The MOCO told them they would send out a "head gasket kit". That tells me that this is fairly commonplace because they already have a kit ready to go. The kit consisted of head gaskets and O- rings for both cylinders.
HD has headgasket kits for TCs and EVOs..

Quick Reply: Head gasket leak