Milwaukee Eight (M8) 2017 and up M8 Air and Liquid Cooled discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The last time we had an economy like this....

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2018, 10:57 AM
alarmdoug
Road Warrior
Received 244 Likes on 168 Posts

Harley-Davidson is still doing fine compared to the other motorcycle manufacturers.
Harley-Davidson still commands close to 50% of the motorcycle Market in the USA over 600 cc's.

Nothing is changed except the public is not into motorcycles as they used to be.

The metric manufacturers have been hammered and have just about completely pulled out of the large cruiser market, most notably Japan.

Yamaha Suzuki and Kawasaki large Cruisers have been in the toilet for years now their product line has been decimated.

Victory has been shut down, was a major disappointment to Polaris and never turned a healthy profit that made the venture worth it.
Now Indian which is supposed to be the next Harley killer is not doing much better.

This is not a pro Harley post it's just facts. Personally I want all the competition that we can get but it's not working out too well because the public is not into motorcycles as they were.

I can say I am loving my 14 Road King with now 22,000 miles on it and completely in shock that it has not needed repair since I bought it new back in 2014.
Based on forums I thought it would be falling apart and I even took an extended warranty for the first time in my life want anything I have a bought.

Last edited by alarmdoug; 06-21-2018 at 10:59 AM.
Old 06-21-2018, 11:14 AM
Yamaharley
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 545 Likes on 421 Posts

One thing you guys are missing is the over 600cc part. If you look there are alot of young riders on 125cc, 250cc, 300cc, and 500cc motorcycles. Look at the groms popularity for example. Or even by me i see a ton of young guys on dualsports/supermoto bikes. The new rebel ive seen more often than m8s on the road. The days of low cc bike sucking are kinda over. People are realizing you can have loads of fun with these things and get stupid mpg numbers. Plus insurance is way cheaper... yeah im cheap.

The following 2 users liked this post by Yamaharley:
anthony_b. (06-22-2018), jd05flhtci (06-22-2018)
Old 06-22-2018, 05:43 AM
alarmdoug
Road Warrior

We will agree to disagree. To me "125cc, 250cc, 300cc, and 500cc motorcycles" are dirt bikes and mopeds. I dont agree the days of low cc bikes sucking are kind of over for the highway, they are dirt bikes and mopeds and always will be. Nothing wrong with that but to me even silly to put it in the same conversation as a large cruiser OR sport bike.

Last edited by alarmdoug; 06-22-2018 at 05:44 AM.
Old 06-22-2018, 08:21 AM
jd05flhtci
Road Warrior
Received 311 Likes on 249 Posts

I agree yamaharley the dual sport and grom are very popular in my area. The younger generation like them because they are affordable. Lets face it us guys and gals over 40 dont like them but we are also not buying new bikes as often.

Old 06-22-2018, 09:00 AM
cmhdwg09
Road Captain
Received 192 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by paullavery

Totally agree with you, I was just stating what is about to happen, apparently the EU will be bringing this into effect tomorrow, worrying times for HD I’m sure because it’s a huge part of their business nowadays.
Sorry....I don’t believe that you agree. The tip off was the use of the term....”your” president. “My” President is trying to undo decades of “kill America” trade policies. And make no mistake about this.....the elites have always wanted manufacturing to be done in other countries and NOT in the U.S. They want America to be pristine, and their existence to be catered by cheap immigrant labor and they don’t care who loses their job in America, They figured out years ago that one can retire and live like a king in Mexico. Problem is, they don’t want to live in Mexico, they want to live here with all the luxuries that come from cheap housekeepers and Gardner’s etc from Mexico. And we’ll import all we need from the rest of the world to supply our need for BMW’s, Lexus and anything else we want despite the human and environmental catastrophe that will occur.

If he sticks to his guns, we will win whatever trade war unfolds. Wars are unpleasant....they hurt....but when it’s over, and we win, life in America will be much better.

Thats my my political rant.

The following 4 users liked this post by cmhdwg09:
alarmdoug (06-23-2018), flstcbob (06-25-2018), s-glide76 (06-23-2018), TenMidgets (06-22-2018)
Old 06-22-2018, 11:00 AM
Yamaharley
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by alarmdoug
We will agree to disagree. To me "125cc, 250cc, 300cc, and 500cc motorcycles" are dirt bikes and mopeds. I dont agree the days of low cc bikes sucking are kind of over for the highway, they are dirt bikes and mopeds and always will be. Nothing wrong with that but to me even silly to put it in the same conversation as a large cruiser OR sport bike.
then your missing out. Try one sometime, its not 1982 anymore... when a 250cc bike today makes 25-30 hp and weighs 300lbs it has better power to weight than my evo(not saying much). Theres a guy on youtube doing iron butt runs on a kymco 150cc for christ sake. These bikes are getting more popular everyday. Whats the new little ninja 400 making now 44hp? Tell some kid hauling *** on one his bike sucks on the highway.

The following users liked this post:
jd05flhtci (06-22-2018)
Old 06-22-2018, 01:59 PM
RK12
Cruiser
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by saddlebag
I think you misunderstand this. If another country puts a tariff on HD, "we" don't have to absorb anything. The guy in the other country is the one who has to absorb that cost if he wants to buy one. When we put a tariff on their goods, we US consumers are the ones who will absorb the higher costs.
Patriotism has nothing to do with any of it. Putting people to work is wonderful, but keep in mind there are millions of people who work now in the logistics and trade fields who could be displaced. I realize people like simple solutions, but the world ain't always so simple. There are unintended consequences to going into a war without a strategy and just shooting from the hip.
does Iraq ring a bell? So the few people who make money off of the guys who bet on cheap foreign parts coming get hurt? **** them. Yes it is patriotism when you would pay more for something made in America by American workers with American made steel or otherwise. So when these other countries raise their tariffs because we are finally leveling the playing field, it’s not “millions” of people in the sporting business either. If 50 Americans have their job saved or get a job because we “ buy American”. That’s a win to me.

Sorry again for the this this in the M8 forum. People always trying to prove intellect on a rather simple matter

Old 06-22-2018, 04:41 PM
HarleyPot
Novice
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by saddlebag
I disagree. The components on modern Harleys are so much better than yesteryear it ain't even funny. Frames are stiffer, engines are smoother, brakes are stoppier, suspensions aren't filled with goose down.
They may use some shoddier bearings here and there, but that me be as much about availability of good stuff as it is HD cheaping out.
That is simply due to advances in engineering and manufacturing which applies to the entire automotive industry. You can't compare a bike from 40 years ago to now and state, 'This company is clearly spending more money to create a better product'. Its simply that technology has improved, so better components can be made at a cheaper price.

Old 06-23-2018, 07:24 AM
alarmdoug
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Yamaharley
then your missing out. Try one sometime, its not 1982 anymore... when a 250cc bike today makes 25-30 hp and weighs 300lbs it has better power to weight than my evo(not saying much). Theres a guy on youtube doing iron butt runs on a kymco 150cc for christ sake. These bikes are getting more popular everyday. Whats the new little ninja 400 making now 44hp? Tell some kid hauling *** on one his bike sucks on the highway.
A kid on the highway is battered to **** doing 80 MPH on the interstate for hours at time, blown around by the wind, blown around by tractor trailers crossing his/her path.
... and the passanger on the back? ... ha ...

MOST but NOT all of these small engine bikes are nothing more then a BIC Lighter., they are used until the idea of having a bike gets tired and then thrown out in the garbage. They are throw away bikes bought on impluse to feel cool..To compare them to 800+ cc bikes, well, to me its like comparing a moped.
You talk about power to weight ratio and there is the problem, light bikes are not long term 80 MPH interstate cruisers, they are fun around town bikes for short trips to feel cool in front of their girlfriends..

But forget all that, those bike sales are in the toilet too, resale market is flooded with them just as much as any other bike.

Last edited by alarmdoug; 06-23-2018 at 07:25 AM.
Old 06-23-2018, 10:23 AM
Yamaharley
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by alarmdoug
A kid on the highway is battered to **** doing 80 MPH on the interstate for hours at time, blown around by the wind, blown around by tractor trailers crossing his/her path.
... and the passanger on the back? ... ha ...

MOST but NOT all of these small engine bikes are nothing more then a BIC Lighter., they are used until the idea of having a bike gets tired and then thrown out in the garbage. They are throw away bikes bought on impluse to feel cool..To compare them to 800+ cc bikes, well, to me its like comparing a moped.
You talk about power to weight ratio and there is the problem, light bikes are not long term 80 MPH interstate cruisers, they are fun around town bikes for short trips to feel cool in front of their girlfriends..

But forget all that, those bike sales are in the toilet too, resale market is flooded with them just as much as any other bike.
is this serious? Just because some people need a full dresser to leave there driveway doesnt mean we all do. I doubt youve ever ridden anything but a harley so im wasting my breath. You do realize a 600cc sportbike today is making around 150hp. Dam i better tell my tiger that it shouldnt be comfortable doing 90 on the highway for hours because... what its to light? The sad thing is ive ridden baggers before and they plain suck. 800lbs and less than 100hp is a joke and harley knows it.

what bike did you ride as a kid? Im curious if it was a full dresser or not...

Quick Reply: The last time we had an economy like this....