Sponsored by:

Steering Adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2018, 01:19 PM
KrustyKush
Road Master
Received 431 Likes on 287 Posts
Default Steering Adjustment

Bike is a 2018 RGU, on the road new for 9 weeks, just hit 5k miles. Bike is fantastic in every respect, I love it.

Steering seemed tight from the beginning. It took work to maintain a straight line at highway speeds. I realized the steering was tight, but it wasn't VERY tight, and I thought it was put that way so it would break in to correct. So I gave it some time. I finally got tired of it the other day, and adjusted it. I thought I would share my experience, in case some others have a similar situation with a new bike.

It is wonderful that HD makes it so easy to adjust the steering drag. On every other bike I've owned, this involved retorqueing the head bearings. On my Harley, all I need to do is remove whatever is necessary to expose the upper steering stem pinch screw, and then loosen it. Then, take a 6" long 1/4" extension, insert it into the steering stem from below (protect your fender!). Turn clockwise to loosen, counterclockwise to tighten. Then retorque the upper steering stem pinch screw to spec, put it all back together, and test.

Notes: Bike must be on a lift, no weight on front wheel. Make sure nothing else is interfering with easy swing of the steering from stop to stop. My bike has cables getting in the way, and the right stop appears to be the hydraulic clutch line. I move cables as necessary.

I did not bother with the swing back measurement. I knew it was tight. I've done this before, the harder way on other bikes, and have a sense about what is right drag for me. It may be different for other riders. Some experimentation may be necessary..

Even with the upper steering stem pinch screw completely loose, the 1/4" drive extension with a 1/4" ratchet in my hand would not turn the bolt. I do not have a larger 1/4" lever, so I dug in and put my shoulder to it, and BANG it came loose (clockwise). This is where I almost dropped the tools onto my fender, and why it is a good idea to cover the fender, and maybe your fork cans as well.

Once I had the bolt loose, I could move it back and forth to increase (counterclockwise) tension, or decrease (clockwise) tension. It only moves a few degrees to get the action you need. I moved it to the point where I felt there was a proper amount of tension on the steering, and then tightened it up, put it back together and tested.

Wow what a difference! My test ride was tentative, 'cause I didn't want to encounter any tank slappers, having loosened the steering up considerably. I rode faster and faster, finding all the sweepers I could. Not a bit of wobble, even with hands off the bars.

Confident I had it right, me and the pax rode 150 miles yesterday into LA to visit her son, riding through nearly the whole range of traffic, from 90 mph down to crawling on the 91 and splitting lanes. Loosening up the steering really made the chassis feel better, lighter. It is easier to handle at low speeds also. I didn't realize how much I was working to hold it in line.

The following 5 users liked this post by KrustyKush:
BrandonSmith (06-11-2019), kap1 (06-11-2019), MTBIG G (06-10-2019), sixguns (06-18-2018), southerncannuck (06-11-2019)
Old 06-10-2019, 02:33 PM
robbie52
Road Warrior
Received 138 Likes on 100 Posts

If they had left the zerk fitting to add grease, it would be perfect. A pain in the *** to add grease to steering head bearings now.

Old 06-10-2019, 04:12 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,529 Likes on 4,426 Posts

had mine adjusted at 20K and glad I did..it was getting loose, wandering in high speed sweepers..took it out for some tests immediately afterwards and it tracked true, tight and confidence inspiring once again

Old 06-10-2019, 04:41 PM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,273 Likes on 11,143 Posts

KK...once on the lift, did it feel tight before you adjusted it?

Old 06-10-2019, 05:12 PM
KrustyKush
Road Master
Received 431 Likes on 287 Posts

Originally Posted by TriGeezer
KK...once on the lift, did it feel tight before you adjusted it?
Yes, from Day One, it was tight. On the lift, if I pushed the front wheel to either side, the wheel would sluggishly return to and just past center, and then hang there, off center.

One I loosened up the adjuster, the wheel was free to act normally. Push wheel to one side and release, wheel comes back past center, and then returns to center, every time.

Old 06-10-2019, 05:22 PM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,273 Likes on 11,143 Posts

Originally Posted by KrustyKush
Yes, from Day One, it was tight. On the lift, if I pushed the front wheel to either side, the wheel would sluggishly return to and just past center, and then hang there, off center.

One I loosened up the adjuster, the wheel was free to act normally. Push wheel to one side and release, wheel comes back past center, and then returns to center, every time.
Glad you got it resolved.

Old 06-10-2019, 05:23 PM
Bumpandrun
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 414 Likes on 297 Posts

Originally Posted by robbie52
If they had left the zerk fitting to add grease, it would be perfect. A pain in the *** to add grease to steering head bearings now.
After u take a few dozen ones with the zero fittin apart....u will see they were worthless . I have seen guys put a full tube of grease I. And top bearing still dry.....it didn’t work most times. Dealers are too lazy or can’t get the customer to pay the 4-8 hours labor it takes to do rite on a touring bike. Lot like springers....guys won’t pay to do the high matainace on them....so they go on and on riding like ship.

Old 06-10-2019, 10:12 PM
MTBIG G
Road Warrior

Received 968 Likes on 556 Posts

Thanks for the thread Krusty. Been thinking of adjusting mine for the same reasons

Old 06-11-2019, 05:26 AM
CSMHOG
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 281 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by Bumpandrun
After u take a few dozen ones with the zero fittin apart....u will see they were worthless . I have seen guys put a full tube of grease I. And top bearing still dry.....it didn’t work most times. Dealers are too lazy or can’t get the customer to pay the 4-8 hours labor it takes to do rite on a touring bike. Lot like springers....guys won’t pay to do the high matainace on them....so they go on and on riding like ship.
Couldn't agree more!! Zerk fittings are for lazy people and they are not effective. Take the time, take it apart, clean the bearings and races, regrease and adjust properly, steering head with last a long time.

Old 06-11-2019, 02:32 PM
robbie52
Road Warrior
Received 138 Likes on 100 Posts

I did not disassemble and grease my 2014 at 25,000 miles as recommended, but when it failed the swing test at 30,000 miles I disassembled and found very little grease in bearing. After regreasing and adjusting swing. everything was fine. On my 2009, i just pumped grease in fitting, adjusted swing when needed, and never disassemble bearing to inspect.