Milwaukee Eight (M8) 2017 and up M8 Air and Liquid Cooled discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealer screwed me, the changed changed the firmware.

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2018, 08:37 AM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,903 Likes on 17,471 Posts
Angry Dealer screwed me, the changed changed the firmware.

My 17 RK went in for a leaking head gasket, told them it had some nasty clatter on a cold start which I suspected was primary chain. Pick up the bike and they were pushing a stage 2 torque cam upgrade hard , mentioned it 3 times during the paperwork, didn't think much of it at the time. 3 weeks of my daily commute riding later I'm pissed they changed the map on my bike, while the engines quieted down it's lost a load of low end torque, I'm shifting way more than I used as it's lost all the legs for run out through the gears, was I would pull off from a light and get a 1/4 of the way down the block before shifting to second now I can't get through the intersection and I'm finding myself in 5th and 6th gear at 50mph where I used to poke along happily in 4th, even at highway speeds I had to remember I had a 6th gear, now the engines running a lot harder at 70. Bikes lost all it's snap off the line and roll on torque it used to have it's like I have a 300lbs passenger on the bike, now I have to drop a gear to get the same pull. Of course the dealer say oh no we didn't do anything like that but I have the damned check sheet where from where they went in and read it to make sure it hadn't been dicked with.

Moral of the story is don't believe a damned thing coming out of a service writers mouth when they start pushing the upgrade bullshit.

My next question is for the tech heads in here how do I go about changing the map in a factory SC street tuner back to what I had

Old 07-07-2018, 08:49 AM
mazz
Road Master
Received 193 Likes on 116 Posts

mned check sheet where from where they went in and read it to make sure it hadn't been dicked with.
i am not clear how you know they changed map except for seat of the pants results. you have 38000 post but this one is not clear.

Old 07-07-2018, 09:09 AM
Mofo67
Stellar HDF Member
Received 800 Likes on 526 Posts

If you have the HD Street Tuner you can get the cable and make changes from your computer. It’s the way the dealer does a “Smart Tune” you could also visit a different dealer and request them download the can tune you prefer. When I questioned the tune in my bike I had them hook it up and show me all of the information as it related to stage tune etc. I ended up buying the cable and messing with it some but then bought the auto tuner and never looked back.
Good Luck...

The following users liked this post:
TwiZted Biker (07-07-2018)
Old 07-07-2018, 09:13 AM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,903 Likes on 17,471 Posts

Let me simplify it for you, the bike they gave me back performs completely differently than the one I dropped off to them and if one knows their machine and I do " seat of the pants " as you say is what tells you something changed and in the is case majorly. Only why I see that happening with the work that was done was a map change by them the mechanical aspect would not do it. I'm the guy everybody brought the older bikes to make run right, I know my machines performance parameters and the advance curve on this one has changed big time. I'm not up on the EFI & ECM systems on the twin cam & later machines, why I'm asking.

Old 07-07-2018, 09:27 AM
Redlegvzv
Stellar HDF Member
Received 672 Likes on 372 Posts

Surely if they changed the map they would indicate that on the work performed sheet? Hard to believe that a dealer would change the map and conceal that fact.

Eccool (07-07-2018)
Old 07-07-2018, 10:00 AM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,246 Likes on 3,624 Posts

So this is a box stock RK? What work was performed, Head gasket? Maybe they bent a valve? Did they mess with the cams? Could it be sumping? If they RnRed the cylinder, maybe you excessive cylinder leakage? It may be that they didn't do anything other than disconnect the battery while performing the work and the ECM simply lost some setting. Is the bike still idling at 850 rpm?

What about taking it back and asking wussup?

Redlegvzv (07-07-2018)
Old 07-07-2018, 10:12 AM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,519 Likes on 4,422 Posts

so are all they stating they did was replace the head gasket, and did the "nasty clatter on cold start" disappear since the R&R?...I think you just need to take it back to them and demand they resolve your concern that their work introduced a new problem

Old 07-07-2018, 10:28 AM
SomeOld Biker
Road Master
Received 268 Likes on 202 Posts

how do I go about changing the map in a factory SC street tuner back to what I had"

FP3 tuner can put it back to stock but then the warranty goes bye bye. I agree with you about service, sometimes its good but I hear too much bad.
Sorry you are having problems, sucks.

Old 07-07-2018, 10:48 AM
02603SEC
Road Captain
Received 125 Likes on 102 Posts

I bought my 18 RK in for it's 1000 mile service about a week ago, they did the oil change as well as replacing the plugs. They definitely reflashed my bike,on the ride home my right leg was on fire and the bike lost all it's power as you described.. It has a stage 1 with a custom tune from Fuel Moto, once I reflashed it, all was right again.

Old 07-07-2018, 10:56 AM
LoneRiderFLH
Road Warrior
Received 949 Likes on 412 Posts

Since they did mechanical work on head, I’d inspect every system involved for fck up.

Quick Reply: Dealer screwed me, the changed changed the firmware.