Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

M8 sumping issues are fake

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2018, 12:00 PM
h7009
Tourer
Received 119 Likes on 76 Posts

Hey all, this thread is a killer.... here we are complaining about Harley, they are this or that, yet "we" continue to buy their old technology over priced bikes. My tech and Service Manager admitted there is a problem and they have heard about it. But what about the guys on here and ones you know, who buy a brand new bike, don't even bother to break it in, and then go Stage III or IV, then they have a problem because it won't run above 4500rpm to the nearest bar stool too brag about? If you want quick, buy a Suzuki or Kawasaki, if you want a nice ride and a good looking bike that will last a long time (if you don't continue to take it apart) buy a Harley. just my opinion. flame away...…

The following 3 users liked this post by h7009:
jd05flhtci (07-09-2018), Mudpig34987. (02-10-2023), Yamaharley (07-13-2018)
Old 07-09-2018, 12:43 PM
ekb55
Tourer
Received 82 Likes on 55 Posts
Default I'm with you

Personally, I'd like to the see the work order and parts list for 4 engine replacements. Just say'n

Originally Posted by Kyle Moore
I think it was probably happening a lot to the first run of bikes with the original design pump. I have 10,500 miles in mine, I’m voiding my warranty this week. I’m over being scared. Hopefully I’m not eating crow later but I know several people with M8 bikes and no ones had any of the issues that appear on this forum, other than the clutch switch on my bike, which is a small issue, and H-D came out with an updated part. It seems to me when you step back and look at it for what it is when an issue pops up H-D comes with an updated component. The only thing that perplexes me is how is it possible that people have had multiple engines sump and replaced when so many other people have never had this issue!? Like heatwave, how is it even possible for all of the issues he’s had to happen and he’s going on like what, 4 engines now? He must be cursed or something cuz he can’t get 500 miles out of a engine. It seems to happen to certain people or something I dunno. I’m at the point where I think riding style may have something to do with it, a lot of people like to have their bikes at 4500rpm riding bar to bar, a bad first design oil pump, and the internet blowing things out of proportion all have lead to every other post on this forum being about sumping. I think that the engine should be able to handle riding like that though don’t get me wrong, but its possible the engineers didn’t originally consider people would ride like this. 😂 My bike will probably sump tomorrow now that I’ve said all this 😂

The following 2 users liked this post by ekb55:
badcooky (01-06-2019), Kyle Moore (07-09-2018)
Old 07-09-2018, 02:29 PM
tbob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 690 Likes on 465 Posts

Originally Posted by ekb55
Personally, I'd like to the see the work order and parts list for 4 engine replacements. Just say'n
Never mind!

Last edited by tbob; 07-09-2018 at 04:27 PM.
Old 07-09-2018, 02:42 PM
Beerbar
Cruiser
Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by martin10
LOL. I can say that my dealers service manager said they have not seen a case of sumping. And I believe him. Because he has always been very honest about the other issues like trans fluid transfer, TC lifter failures and etc. He is also aware of every service bulletin I have ever asked about. So not every dealer is "they all do that" or "never heard of that"

I was the only one in my dealer. I have a very good relationship with the guys at my shop, they have no reason to lie to me. I had it happen once with about 1100 miles on the bike.

Old 07-09-2018, 03:16 PM
12doplumbing
Advanced
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Ok, so what happens when it sumps? What indication — engine Sound different? Bags down? I don’t check my oil very often — with that new price tag I paid, I resent even thinking I need to!

Old 07-09-2018, 03:31 PM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,361 Likes on 2,616 Posts

Originally Posted by 12doplumbing
Ok, so what happens when it sumps? What indication — engine Sound different? Bags down? I don’t check my oil very often — with that new price tag I paid, I resent even thinking I need to!

Discussed many times here. Bogs down (no ability to accelerate), powerful burning oil smell, huge clouds of smoke emanating from your bike. Horrible clatter when trying to accelerate from a stop. Subtle but detectable. (please note sarcasm)

Old 07-09-2018, 03:33 PM
mstrty
Cruiser
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Walk into any service department for any type of motorized vehicle in any country on the planet and you will see a sea of broken internal combustion engines.
They all break, they all have issues. Every respectable motorcycle manufacturer in the world has people ready to fix their product .
My 24k mile M8 has no sign of motor problems..... yet.

The following users liked this post:
Kyle Moore (07-09-2018)
Old 07-09-2018, 03:53 PM
12doplumbing
Advanced
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

I’m an avid reader and believe I’ve read about thirty pages of sumping without mention of what actually occurred while riding.
A whole bunch about “migration” and “32 oz when drained” yadda yadda, and phantom “returned to normal on its own” crap.
I’m in the belief that it’s like a few loud protesters getting all too much media coverage...
The dealer told me, when I asked about this “new M8 technology” and my fears of it being relatively new, that I need “to break the motor in”. Huh? “You mean no red-lining or shifting too soon?”, and he said “Yeah”. That was it. Ride it like you love it; give her plenty of gentle foreplay...
My Sport Glide has more power than I can dream of using. Sometimes when I’m going 70 and want to get separation from vehicles — I feel it can almost chirp as it shoots up to the 100 zone, it’s so quick.
I f***ing love this machine. Yeah, I like to tinker and clean carbs and play with mixtures and get greasy, but I really really like this modern technology between my knees too. I’d like more threads about its performance and enjoyment

The following 3 users liked this post by 12doplumbing:
jsrracing (09-26-2018), Kyle Moore (07-09-2018), Yamaharley (07-13-2018)
Old 07-09-2018, 04:03 PM
jd05flhtci
Road Warrior
Received 311 Likes on 249 Posts

Originally Posted by Beerbar
I was the only one in my dealer. I have a very good relationship with the guys at my shop, they have no reason to lie to me. I had it happen once with about 1100 miles on the bike.
Your dealer may have told you the truth but maybe they dont sell or service a bunch of bikes either. The dealer where i bought mine is great but i refuse to let their service dept touch my bike

Old 07-09-2018, 04:58 PM
Kyle Moore
Road Master
Received 224 Likes on 153 Posts

i still don’t get how someone can bitch about something so much, yet continue to spend money on it. Go buy a gold wing if you think Harley’s suck so much. I’ll never understand that, no one bitches about Harley’s more than people who ride them. I’m new to Harley and love mine and the whole Harley experience. Maybe I’m lucky and just have good dealers around here.

The following users liked this post:
Rockin C (05-10-2019)

Quick Reply: M8 sumping issues are fake