Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Had a chat with Harley warranty dept yesterday

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2018, 01:27 PM
carpetride
Elite HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Quoted from the parts warranty language....
"This parts warranty applies to Parts and Accessories you or an aftermarket shop have installed, but only for defects in manufacturing—not conditions caused by the improper installation."
Granted HD could claim improper installation at their whim and you would probably be SOL. That's why I say pizz on SE parts.

If the warranty is only good if a "qualified tech" installs it then state that in the warranty.

Last edited by carpetride; 07-11-2018 at 01:41 PM.
Old 07-11-2018, 01:38 PM
DRBUICK
Road Master
Received 322 Likes on 202 Posts

Don’t matter to Harley

Old 07-11-2018, 01:48 PM
user 9370
Banned
Received 834 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by DRBUICK
you buy a part off their online store like a stage 4 kit says YEAR WARRANTY does not say ANYWHERE a dealer must install

https://www.harley-davidson.com/en_U...A-Warranty.pdf (not standing behind this)
I copied this from the pdf that you linked:

”This Parts and Accessories warranty does not cover defects, damage or premature wear to your motorcycle that are caused by the installation or use of Parts and Accessories, even those installed by an authorized dealership. Examples include, but are not limited to performance-enhancing powertrain components or software, exhaust systems, non-approved tires, lowering kits, handlebars, add-ons connected to the factory electrical system, etc.
The fact that Parts or Accessories are labeled or branded Harley-Davidson, or are sold or installed by an authorized dealership, does not necessarily make them appropriate or warranted for the make and model of your motorcycle. The use of Parts and Accessories not designed and tested for your motorcycle may have negative consequences on the performance of your motorcycle and may create conditions not covered by the limited factory warranty.”

It seems pretty clear to me that HD is not going to cover any damage done to their motorcycles from any after market part no matter who makes/installs it. So, looks like we have three choices: leave the motorcycle completely stock, leave it stock until the warranty runs out, or, modify it and take your chances.

Ray

The following users liked this post:
lh4x4 (07-11-2018)
Old 07-11-2018, 01:56 PM
carpetride
Elite HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Ray-CA

I copied this from the pdf that you linked:

”This Parts and Accessories warranty does not cover defects, damage or premature wear to your motorcycle that are caused by the installation or use of Parts and Accessories, even those installed by an authorized dealership. Examples include, but are not limited to performance-enhancing powertrain components or software, exhaust systems, non-approved tires, lowering kits, handlebars, add-ons connected to the factory electrical system, etc.
The fact that Parts or Accessories are labeled or branded Harley-Davidson, or are sold or installed by an authorized dealership, does not necessarily make them appropriate or warranted for the make and model of your motorcycle. The use of Parts and Accessories not designed and tested for your motorcycle may have negative consequences on the performance of your motorcycle and may create conditions not covered by the limited factory warranty.”

It seems pretty clear to me that HD is not going to cover any damage done to their motorcycles from any after market part no matter who makes/installs it. So, looks like we have three choices: leave the motorcycle completely stock, leave it stock until the warranty runs out, or, modify it and take your chances.

Ray
Pretty much. They will sell you performance parts but if a defect destroys your engine then thats just too bad. Nice.

Old 07-11-2018, 02:31 PM
2wheelwanderer
Road Master

Received 518 Likes on 260 Posts

My .02. Years ago I sold cars at a Dodge/Hyundai lot. Hyundai was trying to turn their image around an quit building crap they did on the 80's-90's. This was the beginning of the 100,000 mile warranty days. Dealer would then double it to 200,000 miles if you wanted. Still had issues, but they were warrantying ANYTHING at the dealer. Crap Dodge would laughed at. Service dept covered most anything short of a Pep boys turbo kit on a Sonata. Why? Because Hyundai was trying to earn customer trust and build their brand into more that a step above Yugo. They NEEDED to earn customers and build a base.

Harley don't have tah do that, so they don't, and blame a tuner on a trans problem. I'm sure the system has been abused and dealers sneaking in issues under warranty for their favorite customers, but now Harley can wave tis hand and say "No".

I've had 2 sets of front rotors put on my '12 Concours under warranty in 4 years and 20k miles. The second time Kawi asked a few questions, but did the honored the warping and treated me right. Bone stock bike, but known issue on this model. I even offered to pay the up charge to get ZX-14 rotors so the problem wouldn't come back (they only known permanent fix so far). But, my dealer fought for me, asked the right questions and got it covered.

Old 07-11-2018, 04:16 PM
Yamaharley
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 545 Likes on 421 Posts

Originally Posted by 2wheelwanderer
My .02. Years ago I sold cars at a Dodge/Hyundai lot. Hyundai was trying to turn their image around an quit building crap they did on the 80's-90's. This was the beginning of the 100,000 mile warranty days. Dealer would then double it to 200,000 miles if you wanted. Still had issues, but they were warrantying ANYTHING at the dealer. Crap Dodge would laughed at. Service dept covered most anything short of a Pep boys turbo kit on a Sonata. Why? Because Hyundai was trying to earn customer trust and build their brand into more that a step above Yugo. They NEEDED to earn customers and build a base.

Harley don't have tah do that, so they don't, and blame a tuner on a trans problem. I'm sure the system has been abused and dealers sneaking in issues under warranty for their favorite customers, but now Harley can wave tis hand and say "No".

I've had 2 sets of front rotors put on my '12 Concours under warranty in 4 years and 20k miles. The second time Kawi asked a few questions, but did the honored the warping and treated me right. Bone stock bike, but known issue on this model. I even offered to pay the up charge to get ZX-14 rotors so the problem wouldn't come back (they only known permanent fix so far). But, my dealer fought for me, asked the right questions and got it covered.
bingo. Harley COULD treat their customers better but they have no desire to. Hell i just put a new pipe on the triumph and you know what the dealer told me... no problem we just load the arrow exhaust tune and your warranty is still as good as it was on day one. The worst part of all this is what happened to the parts warranty in case of defects? Basically if you install a part that harley failed to properly build it is now the riders fault. Thats just pathetic... i wish you the best drbuick, i have less respect for the moco every day.

Old 07-11-2018, 04:50 PM
not_so_newb
Elite HDF Member
Received 822 Likes on 478 Posts

Originally Posted by carpetride
Well after reading threads about all these problems I know I'm leaving my new M8 stock (except for slip ons). Bike may not be fast but I'd much rather be riding than waiting for my bike to be fixed. And if I ever did modify it, it sure wouldn't be with SE parts. Would go S&S.
yeah the new rule seems to be HD parts only and installed at the dealer if you're under warranty . after the warranty non-HD parts only because why would anyone give them any more money if they aren't going to warranty anything you buy .

Old 07-11-2018, 06:47 PM
DRBUICK
Road Master
Received 322 Likes on 202 Posts
Old 07-11-2018, 07:10 PM
Takedown
Cruiser
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Hmmmmm..... that picture didn't need words for sure! Ouch!

Old 07-11-2018, 07:16 PM
2wheelwanderer
Road Master

Received 518 Likes on 260 Posts

OUCH Not good

Quick Reply: Had a chat with Harley warranty dept yesterday