Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Had a chat with Harley warranty dept yesterday

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2018, 08:20 AM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,505 Likes on 4,415 Posts

they probably hit a point where after so long their bikes being the most heavily modified bikes on the planet that the bean counters had to find ways to reduce expenses and looked at warranty claims as a big opportunity to save, changed the rules or tightened them up...everything is all about $$ trying to stay in business, profit margins, etc. in the ever changing economic climates...not saying it's wise to treat customers that way in the big picture but things have changed starting with the EPA crackdown

Old 07-10-2018, 08:26 AM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,720 Likes on 1,546 Posts

Originally Posted by DRBUICK
you buy a part off their online store like a stage 4 kit says YEAR WARRANTY does not say ANYWHERE a dealer must install

https://www.harley-davidson.com/en_U...A-Warranty.pdf (not standing behind this)
No, you're right. I was thinking the clause about adding the parts to your factory warranty (within 60 days of purchase) thing. I confused myself. Sorry.

So basically the kit requires the use of an approved ECM calibration. Is this where they are faulting you instead of backing something that clearly is a manufacturer defect?

Old 07-10-2018, 08:27 AM
DRBUICK
Road Master
Received 322 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by mjwebb
they probably hit a point where after so long their bikes being the most heavily modified bikes on the planet that the bean counters had to find ways to reduce expenses and looked at warranty claims as a big opportunity to save, changed the rules or tightened them up...everything is all about $$ trying to stay in business, profit margins, etc. in the ever changing economic climates...not saying it's wise to treat customers that way in the big picture but things have changed starting with the EPA crackdown
Very well said, But also on that point they make a killing on the bikes that have mods. but a bad design is a bad design. bad quality control is bad quality control. letting something go that you know is a problem is not right.

Old 07-10-2018, 08:29 AM
jclax01
Road Warrior
Received 481 Likes on 265 Posts

Harley is really just catching up to ALL of the other vehicle manufacturers in the world. There is no vehicle company that will honor a warranty after you work on the internals of the engine. I was asking my chevy dealer about a cold air intake on my camaro and the first thing he said was it will end your warranty. you tinker with it, you take ownership and bye bye warranty.

The following users liked this post:
2ROWDY (07-10-2018)
Old 07-10-2018, 08:29 AM
DRBUICK
Road Master

Originally Posted by lp
No, you're right. I was thinking the clause about adding the parts to your factory warranty (within 60 days of purchase) thing. I confused myself. Sorry.

So basically the kit requires the use of an approved ECM calibration. Is this where they are faulting you instead of backing something that clearly is a manufacturer defect?
This is what I got out of it the SECOND they seen TTS tuner the blinders went on to any other reasons defect part or not!

Old 07-10-2018, 08:31 AM
DRBUICK
Road Master

Originally Posted by jclax01
Harley is really just catching up to ALL of the other vehicle manufacturers in the world. There is no vehicle company that will honor a warranty after you work on the internals of the engine. I was asking my chevy dealer about a cold air intake on my camaro and the first thing he said was it will end your warranty. you tinker with it, you take ownership and bye bye warranty.
I disagree with that one. As a Dodge master tech I have worked and warranty a number of hellcats and rams with mods A bad part is a bad part PERIOD

The following users liked this post:
redtwin (07-10-2018)
Old 07-10-2018, 08:52 AM
psyshack
Road Warrior
Received 363 Likes on 266 Posts

So I bought a set of stage 4 heads 1400.00 not less than 2 months later Valve seats were loose and leaking. I was told because I installed them Harley said I am on my own. the warranty is ONLY if a dealer installs them so even if bad out of box and they are self installed your out of luck! I asked how is it right that someone spend any kind of money and you don't stand behind your product. he says that's how we make money and I have a job.

Next my 3rd gear went in my transmission (dealer has done 6 of them) and I ride with a product development guy also says they had a problem with heat treating, but because I have a TTS tuner Harley says it's on me,

so I ask you have 6 guys with the SAME problem theirs is stock. they get them covered, and now mine has the SAME problem but mine has a TTS tuner I must pay for mine he says yep. I said ok does not seem right because we both know my tuner had nothing to do with this. He agrees but says it is what it is. I said your correct and I hope you have a nice afternoon.

Do I get it yes not a question but if they have a KNOWN problem regardless of tuner exhaust what ever fix it. not wash your hands and hope to collect more money! in my case I sent heads out to get 8 new seats and valves in and dealer covered the cost. and the trans I bought a Baker DD7 7 speed
Harley sucked Obummer off like F___ in a bath house when the EPA Consent Decree came about. HD was all for it! Do any mod that we don't like your screwed. They build junk and walk with the money. They built the heads they should replace them! They built the lawn tractor tranny, they should replace it. And all agree the tuner had nothing to do with the failures. They are *** holes in Milwalkee and need there ***'s kicked if not tortured!

The following 3 users liked this post by psyshack:
02603SEC (07-12-2018), harleytacticalnut (07-11-2018), jimmiedwad (05-10-2019)
Old 07-10-2018, 08:57 AM
Crabchuck
Road Master
Received 622 Likes on 317 Posts

Not sure about individual state laws. But, if you have to sue for MM warranty protection, you're also entitled to 3x your atty fees in compensatory damages. Find a lawyer willing to take it on contingency. I think you have a pretty easy case on the heads. But you could wrap it all up in one suit. On the heads, they would have to prove you installed them improperly leading to the leak. If you're sure you followed the install procedure, you should be good. They would also have to prove that your tune caused a power level which exceeded the design limits of the gear..... and unless they're putting different transmissions in the stage 4 kits and your bike had more HP than one.... good luck to them.

I had a problem with a Chevy once and they tried to deny me warranty. Face to face with the service manager, I stated "per the Magnuson-Moss Act, I would like you prove that my servicing of the engine caused the rings to fail". He got very stern and said "Don't threaten me boy. I've been at this a long time and if you want to fight us over this, good luck". It took three months, but I got Chevy to pay for an overhaul, the rental for three months, and a few thousand in my pocket. MM works if you've got the gumption to see it through.

The following 2 users liked this post by Crabchuck:
02603SEC (07-12-2018), DRBUICK (07-10-2018)
Old 07-10-2018, 09:01 AM
psyshack
Road Warrior
Received 363 Likes on 266 Posts

I disagree with that one. As a Dodge master tech I have worked and warranty a number of hellcats and rams with mods A bad part is a bad part PERIOD
Wasn't there a issue with bad bearings in Hellcat blowers and Mopar tried voiding warranties over cold air intakes and other BS? Then saw the light and started replacing them under warranty? I know two of my buddy's had this issue. One got stone walled by Mopar for a month or so living on the east coast. EPA BS. The other had a new blower in a week living in this part of the country.

Old 07-10-2018, 09:12 AM
jpooch00
Elite HDF Member
Received 265 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle Larry
Maybe one day they'll spend more money on trying to get it tight than on trying to shift risk/responsibility ?

You should be prepared to be severely disappointed! That'll never happen with the MoCo.

Quick Reply: Had a chat with Harley warranty dept yesterday