Wth. Sumpin wrong

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2018, 09:57 PM
Bumpandrun
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 414 Likes on 297 Posts

Originally Posted by ronaldrwl
OP you got a 4 year warranty anyways?
. Your kidding rite? Lmao. If I could buy with NO warranty I would . Might use it for a radio. But I sure as he ll would never let a dealer do a performance upgrade or engine trans work......it would only end up back there. They patch...not fix. Sad but these are big boy toys that probably shouldn't even have a warranty like a race car. That would weed out guys that can't afford them. That was in no way aimed at you . Just a general statement.

Old 07-13-2018, 10:11 PM
Heatwave
Received 1,077 Likes on 638 Posts

Originally Posted by Bumpandrun
. Your kidding rite? Lmao. If I could buy with NO warranty I would . Might use it for a radio. But I sure as he ll would never let a dealer do a performance upgrade or engine trans work......it would only end up back there. They patch...not fix. Sad but these are big boy toys that probably shouldn't even have a warranty like a race car. That would weed out guys that can't afford them. That was in no way aimed at you . Just a general statement.
This guy’s rather full of of himself. REALLY?? No warranty so lower income guys couldn’t afford them because this guy thinks Harleys are big boy toys only for the wealthy. What a loser. I own 2 CVO Ultras and they are inexpensive compared to my boat but I would never suggest owning a Harley is only for rich guys. Jeeze, what planet is this guy from?

Sounds to me like this guy got burned out of his warranty and now finds out his bike is sumping so he pulls the trigger on an S&S oil pump. He has a hard lesson ahead when he finds out upgrading the oil pump may not address sumping in the M8. Its just a bandaid for a bigger design issue.

The following users liked this post:
Eccool (07-25-2018)
Old 07-13-2018, 10:13 PM
Bumpandrun
Outstanding HDF Member

Well 335 miles today......pretty sure it is running better as I will bet with more stable oil pressure the tensioner is keeping the chain and cam timing steady.( not a fan of gear drive but this had barely 001 run out) I know it was moving a degree or more with the 2 stage pump. I could move the chain and tensioner with my fingers. Not so after I primed the new 3 stage pump. No idea if it will help the guys having the other problems .. But it can't hurt. Cheaper than a week renting a bike for sure . Lmao
I do know valve train is a bit quieter on cold or hot start ..low rpms .It was never noisey but it's noticeable too me and not because I spent 620 bucks. I hear ship long before stuff lets go.......it's kinda what I do for a living .Good thing because I can't write or structure sentences worth a sh ....lol.
buy one don't buy one I don't really give a flunk.........just what I have had so far . Going on another 2500 mile trip so I am sure it will keep gettin it.
Just my worthless opinions. Lol

Old 07-14-2018, 12:23 AM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,246 Likes on 3,624 Posts

Well 335 miles today......pretty sure it is running better as I will bet with more stable oil pressure the tensioner is keeping the chain and cam timing steady.( not a fan of gear drive but this had barely 001 run out) I know it was moving a degree or more with the 2 stage pump. I could move the chain and tensioner with my fingers. Not so after I primed the new 3 stage pump. No idea if it will help the guys having the other problems .. But it can't hurt. Cheaper than a week renting a bike for sure . Lmao
I do know valve train is a bit quieter on cold or hot start ..low rpms .It was never noisey but it's noticeable too me and not because I spent 620 bucks. I hear ship long before stuff lets go.......it's kinda what I do for a living .Good thing because I can't write or structure sentences worth a sh ....lol.
buy one don't buy one I don't really give a flunk.........just what I have had so far . Going on another 2500 mile trip so I am sure it will keep gettin it.
Just my worthless opinions. Lol
I have an oil pressure gauge on the 17 RK and the oil pressure behaves exactly like the pressure on one of my TCs with and SnS pump in it. Idle is 15 to 20 psi, running down the road they both get 40-45 PSI at 2500 rpm. Not sure you can improve on either. Might have a good idea to gotten one for your bike before you tried the switch. Then you'd have a something more than "I bet"

Scavenging is another issue but for me on a stage 2 107 rk, I don't have any evidence of sumping. Oil temps are always between 220 and 240 with ambient in the 80s to 100s. I don't sit in traffic much tho.

The following 2 users liked this post by Max Headflow:
Bumpandrun (07-14-2018), Eccool (07-25-2018)
Old 07-14-2018, 10:06 AM
Bumpandrun
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Max Headflow
I have an oil pressure gauge on the 17 RK and the oil pressure behaves exactly like the pressure on one of my TCs with and SnS pump in it. Idle is 15 to 20 psi, running down the road they both get 40-45 PSI at 2500 rpm. Not sure you can improve on either. Might have a good idea to gotten one for your bike before you tried the switch. Then you'd have a something more than "I bet"

Scavenging is another issue but for me on a stage 2 107 rk, I don't have any evidence of sumping. Oil temps are always between 220 and 240 with ambient in the 80s to 100s. I don't sit in traffic much tho.
I guess I could have...but I didn't really care to do testing for others. I did it for ME...kinda selfish that way. Lol What I do know is the tensioner on stock cam plate won't hold on a warm motor that I just took apart to the point I could change cam timing with my fingers ( almost changed tensioner ) But primed the pump and plate in aftermarket one...no way could I move the tensioner or change cam timing like I did with OEM. All the testing I needed. I kinda trust the S&S plate and pump . All the twinks I did they were a big improvement at hot idle and actually held pretty steady at 1800-5000. Hey if somebody else wants too test pressures ...be my guest. I wanted a 3 stage( rotor )billet pump not a 2 stage cast(OEM). The plus was looking at a cam plate that the cam hole was already showing wear on a cheap cast piece. I understand it's only one cam now opening 8 valves instead of 2 cams opening 2 valves each. Big difference to me. But he ll what do I know...lol. Off to empty the gas tank again....coffee all gone. Have a great weekend .

Kyle Moore (07-14-2018)
Old 07-14-2018, 02:12 PM
$tonecold
Club Member
Received 1,741 Likes on 931 Posts

I guess I could have...but I didn't really care to do testing for others. I did it for ME...kinda selfish that way. Lol What I do know is the tensioner on stock cam plate won't hold on a warm motor that I just took apart to the point I could change cam timing with my fingers ( almost changed tensioner ) But primed the pump and plate in aftermarket one...no way could I move the tensioner or change cam timing like I did with OEM. All the testing I needed. I kinda trust the S&S plate and pump . All the twinks I did they were a big improvement at hot idle and actually held pretty steady at 1800-5000. Hey if somebody else wants too test pressures ...be my guest. I wanted a 3 stage( rotor )billet pump not a 2 stage cast(OEM). The plus was looking at a cam plate that the cam hole was already showing wear on a cheap cast piece. I understand it's only one cam now opening 8 valves instead of 2 cams opening 2 valves each. Big difference to me. But he ll what do I know...lol. Off to empty the gas tank again....coffee all gone. Have a great weekend .
Well with the poor fit of the stock crankshaft drive gear for the cam, it is hard to get cam timing correct in the first place. Steve Cole showed me the cam end of the crankshaft of a TwinCam that had been rounded off by the gear's loose fit. They can be shimmed to make them fit tight and Andrews makes an aftermarket gear that is suppose to fix the problem. So I understand the concern with the tensioner not holding the cam in time, but it is kind of a hit and miss proposition anyway.

The following 2 users liked this post by $tonecold:
Bumpandrun (07-15-2018), LXT (07-20-2018)
Old 07-14-2018, 04:40 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member

Not sure I understand the cam tensioner thing. It's hydraulic like a lifter. Once all the air is bled out of it, it won't move no matter which pump is being used.. Oil pressure won't make any difference. Oi pressure from the pump is not what holds the tensioner in position. It's the oil in a chamber trapped by a small one way valve. It bleeds down just like a lifter.

Eccool (07-25-2018)
Old 07-15-2018, 10:51 AM
Bumpandrun
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Max Headflow
Not sure I understand the cam tensioner thing. It's hydraulic like a lifter. Once all the air is bled out of it, it won't move no matter which pump is being used.. Oil pressure won't make any difference. Oi pressure from the pump is not what holds the tensioner in position. It's the oil in a chamber trapped by a small one way valve. It bleeds down just like a lifter.
lol. Open one up ...you won't believe it. I see it a lot in new car junk.

Old 07-15-2018, 11:06 AM
Yamaharley
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 545 Likes on 421 Posts

Mabye harley is looking in the right spot but at the wrong part. If the s&s cam plate is not only keeping the timing where it should be but providing the new oil pump a better seal in the cam chest then maybe some of the issues are due to a ill fitting stock cam plate. Like you said if the oil pressure is way more consistent it seems to be doing a better job evacuating oil from the sump, especially when the stock cam plate gets worn and allows it to pull air instead of oil.

Old 07-15-2018, 05:58 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member

lol. Open one up ...you won't believe it. I see it a lot in new car junk.
Are they any different than a TC tensioner?

Quick Reply: Wth. Sumpin wrong