Sponsored by:

Wth. Sumpin wrong

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2018, 06:00 PM
Bumpandrun
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 414 Likes on 297 Posts

Originally Posted by Yamaharley
Mabye harley is looking in the right spot but at the wrong part. If the s&s cam plate is not only keeping the timing where it should be but providing the new oil pump a better seal in the cam chest then maybe some of the issues are due to a ill fitting stock cam plate. Like you said if the oil pressure is way more consistent it seems to be doing a better job evacuating oil from the sump, especially when the stock cam plate gets worn and allows it to pull air instead of oil.
you know u may be rite....the camplate just might be the big help here. Maybe (I have said before I am not a pro engine builder) it's the passages and check valves in the plate that are better. Haven't heard of a fueling one ever having problems either....only OEM stuff done at a dealer . I gave the OEMplate and pump to a pretty good builder to look at..... See what he thinks. Non issues for me now.
got me thinking about oil pressure now.....wonder how the older rushmores read oil pressure in lbs instead of just ok on info center....if it can be changed.
another 275 on it today.

The following users liked this post:
Yamaharley (08-02-2018)
Old 07-15-2018, 06:06 PM
Bumpandrun
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Max Headflow
Are they any different than a TC tensioner?
Max they are different..but I don't think it's the tensioner not holding. I bet it's the passage in the camplate that is allowed to leak back on OEM one if that makes since . Should have maybe tried to push oil back thru port in camplate with pressure to test .......but it wouldn't have mattered to me. Maybe somebody else will try. But most guys looking for ever ounce of performance won't be using a chain anyway........just us ole slow guys. Lmao

Heatwave (07-26-2018)
Old 07-20-2018, 04:49 PM
LXT
Road Master
Received 553 Likes on 341 Posts

Originally Posted by Bumpandrun

Sorry son. Your lost on so many fronts on that one. For one thing the camplate I pulled out is cast and came running in straight casting no sleeve. No bushing... and already worn on the bottom side of cam hole. Your quoting rumors. Please post pictures of the motors you have pulled apart or tested.....or it simple is just a rumor..No pictures? Crickets.........................
Oh my...……. there is a search function ya know, I don't film/take pictures of most builds (however im kinda keeping track on my 71 torino gt build) - I most certainly can start just for you! if your camplate was worn as bad as you say then you have another problem lil fella, but..... you know what - I could go round & round with ya but no pictures = crickets? yep - same to you, due to you being a guru of engines - why don't you call up Bob wood & get his take? I would imagine he might have some pics for you!!! cause I run all woods cams - smith brothers pr`s - woods lifters, etc... yes, expensive - but never had a failure or a customer complain!

Not quoting rumors - what rumor was in what I said? oh... the anodized finish? you might wanna check some other sites on that rumor big boy - cause = TRUE! & ive had a few come through my shop!

Old 07-20-2018, 05:47 PM
Bumpandrun
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by LXT
Oh my...……. there is a search function ya know, I don't film/take pictures of most builds (however im kinda keeping track on my 71 torino gt build) - I most certainly can start just for you! if your camplate was worn as bad as you say then you have another problem lil fella, but..... you know what - I could go round & round with ya but no pictures = crickets? yep - same to you, due to you being a guru of engines - why don't you call up Bob wood & get his take? I would imagine he might have some pics for you!!! cause I run all woods cams - smith brothers pr`s - woods lifters, etc... yes, expensive - but never had a failure or a customer complain!

Not quoting rumors - what rumor was in what I said? oh... the anodized finish? you might wanna check some other sites on that rumor big boy - cause = TRUE! & ive had a few come through my shop!
Sorry I hurt your feelings pup....Like I said show me or your just another troll. Warned the warranty and crying wolf crowd this post is not for you ....yah and on the rust bucket ford ....no pictures needed. We dont do low dollar kid cars here in our shop.... Lmfao....sorry. Like I have said before...don't own one?? Maybe troll on pup.

Old 07-21-2018, 07:05 AM
Rick S
Tourer
Received 80 Likes on 44 Posts

Anyone see the article in the new issue of American Iron. Article by Donnie Peterson and he implied that the stumping could be related to the breathers. Of course the article finished by saying stay tuned for part 2 next month. Made for a interesting read

Bumpandrun (07-24-2018)
Old 07-21-2018, 07:07 AM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,515 Likes on 4,421 Posts

Originally Posted by Rick S
Anyone see the article in the new issue of American Iron. Article by Donnie Peterson and he implied that the stumping could be related to the breathers. Of course the article finished by saying stay tuned for part 2 next month. Made for a interesting read
the proper term is dumping..or sumping like that

Old 07-21-2018, 02:42 PM
Rick S
Tourer
Received 80 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by mjwebb
the proper term is dumping..or sumping like that
well crud, dang auto correct. Thanks for catching that, but anyway the article was good no matter how I butchered it.

Old 07-21-2018, 07:52 PM
LXT
Road Master
Received 553 Likes on 341 Posts

I guess I could have...but I didn't really care to do testing for others. I did it for ME...kinda selfish that way. Lol What I do know is the tensioner on stock cam plate won't hold on a warm motor that I just took apart to the point I could change cam timing with my fingers ( almost changed tensioner ) But primed the pump and plate in aftermarket one...no way could I move the tensioner or change cam timing like I did with OEM. All the testing I needed. I kinda trust the S&S plate and pump . All the twinks I did they were a big improvement at hot idle and actually held pretty steady at 1800-5000. Hey if somebody else wants too test pressures ...be my guest. I wanted a 3 stage( rotor )billet pump not a 2 stage cast(OEM). The plus was looking at a cam plate that the cam hole was already showing wear on a cheap cast piece. I understand it's only one cam now opening 8 valves instead of 2 cams opening 2 valves each. Big difference to me. But he ll what do I know...lol. Off to empty the gas tank again....coffee all gone. Have a great weekend .
Almost a word for word from another site...Hmmm - your bolded statement - the cast is not as cheap as you think & a bushing less plate does fine when oil makes it to the cam hole, problem is when your motor sumps proper oil flow is not happening & thus this area is most neglected, as well & as you stated one cam / 8 valves - more point load to the cam plate journal & throw "sumping" in & whala - a worn cam hole profile! along with other issues - but hey what do I know? I don't have any pictures....

You are not correcting the problem with S&S set up! but if you think pretty fixes things then - howd you say below? this post is not for you. Good luck on your journey for a fix!

Sorry I hurt your feelings pup....Like I said show me or your just another troll. Warned the warranty and crying wolf crowd this post is not for you ....yah and on the rust bucket ford ....no pictures needed. We dont do low dollar kid cars here in our shop.... Lmfao....sorry. Like I have said before...don't own one?? Maybe troll on pup.
lmfao...Troll? kids car? you are a work of genital art huh? you come on here and cry about your poor "sumping" bike, then you theorize on whats causing it, maybe you read the BS at the other site & are just repeating it huh? cause almost word for word what you say has been said over there! I think you are a bladder full of hot air looking for conversation on a topic you know nothing about - so you can feel like you fit in! where's all your pics? This ball bag comes on here crying & then he becomes confrontational with those who know more - your just full of knowledge? why post when you have all the answers - then he says he gave his cam plate or whatever to a "top builder" to check out (well do tell- whatd he say), then he tests but not for others just for him (selfish he says) but when I do it he needs pictures...………...perhaps as a learning tool because he hasn't a clue!

Bump - seriously, I have tested & built many HD`s with new model year woes, take it for what its worth but Id go with the fueling set up, im pretty sure if HD is on what oil pump # 7 that the problem is not with the pump - worked on an Indian with clacking issue - now the 111 thunderstroke is a different animal all together so a local old timer with more Indian know how than me provided a helping hand (actually I provided the helping hand) - the issue from what we could figure was piston slap on to the oil pool for crank splash (maybe not the best description) but when a relief was applied to the drain plug (kinda like a expansion tank on your water tank) the clack went away! a lot of these new designs have increased internal pressures that blow out oil dip sticks & do crazy things - I don't know...…...some one smarter than us will figure out the real problem & make a fortune selling the parts to fix it. again good luck & hope you get it resolved - BTW the above post was just a retaliatory get even rant - lets clean the slate & start over huh?

Old 07-24-2018, 02:36 PM
Bumpandrun
Outstanding HDF Member

Well another couple thousand miles on the S&S 3 rotor oil pump and camplate. Valve train noise is much quieter. Next time I stop it will be time for another oil change I'll cut filter open and do a check for blue color.....NOT...LMFAO.Stopped in and talked to a pretty good builder that uses S&S stuff pretty much exclusively in NY. The BS with anodizing flaking off a young pup here said he heard about ? He told me pure BS ....said builder that started the rumor years ago uses fueling . He did show me several mis installed screaming eagle and fueling pumps wiped out on twinks....Clowns didn't center pump on first ones they did...jammed rotors and.blamed it on flaked anodizing. Didn't happen.......gotta love rumors .
Well clean clothes and load up and out of here for another week ...no worries but filling the gas tank ......
SUMPIN wrong with gas tank.....can't figure it out tho .....every 210 miles I gotta fill it. Lmfao.....

Old 07-24-2018, 02:44 PM
Bumpandrun
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Rick S
I kinda think he might be on to something....why I thought a 4 stage pump if it could be made to fit would really help the big inch guys when these M8 s get in the 117-140 cubic range pushing couple hundred hp. But looking at what we have ill bet the camplate is 65% of the problem......it's just a crappy piece. Pump is not bad but only 2 stage. Looking forward to seeing what they do with breathers.
i will say this...I am running and evac system on mine with a valve welded into header. See if it can handle the heat next few thousand...

Quick Reply: Wth. Sumpin wrong