Sponsored by:

Blown head gasket!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2018, 04:05 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,917 Likes on 17,474 Posts

Originally Posted by Max Headflow
So have they ridden the bike? What did they say?

Been working on bikes since I was 15. Did it professionally for 10 years. Have seen all kinds of issues on both sides of customer / service dept.
Been through this in another thread, they say it runs fine and it does but it's not what it was before they dicked with it. Conveniently the tech in question doesn't work there anymore or so I'm told. The tunes changed period.

I'm going to get educated, buy a laptop and software and take care of it. I have neither the time nor patients to be played like a newbie know nothing. For the average rider I doubt this would be an issue if they even notice, unfortunately I did....

Last edited by TwiZted Biker; 07-20-2018 at 04:25 PM.
Old 07-20-2018, 04:19 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,528 Likes on 4,425 Posts

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
Been through this in another thread, they say it runs fine and it does but it's not what it was before they dicked with it. Conveniently the tech in question doesn't work there anymore or so I'm told. The tunes changed period.

I'm going to get educated, buy a laptop and software and take care of it. I have neither the time nor patients to be played like a newbie know nothing. For the average rider I doubt this would an issue if they even notice, unfortunately I did....
agree, I'm OCD and would be obsessed with making it right and no way i would settle..that was total bs on their part

Old 07-22-2018, 10:45 PM
donruff
Advanced
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by KrustyKush
I wouldn't worry too much about these rocker box gaskets. I had one spring a leak on my brand new 2016 FLHTCU, just a couple weeks after I rode it out of the dealer.

I knew replacement wasn't complicated so I did it myself rather than take to the dealer shop. New gaskets are cheap. Parts come off and go back on easy. There must be a lot of give in the parts because on my 2016 I wasn't able to get a torque wrench onto all of the fasteners. I guessed, using my calibrated elbow. It never leaked again in the following 35k miles.

Why they leak from the factory is probably due to sloppy work by the assemblers. I've found several things on my 2018 RGU that are due to plain and simple sloppy work at the factory.
It is not leaking at the rocker box cover. There is no oil above where the head meets the cylinder. No oil on any of the oil lines running to the head of the rear cylinder. The highest point of oil leak is the rear 180° of the rear cylinder, and it runs down the cylinder fins, the top of the transmission and under the bike to the ground.

Old 07-22-2018, 10:59 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,917 Likes on 17,474 Posts

Originally Posted by donruff
It is not leaking at the rocker box cover. There is no oil above where the head meets the cylinder. No oil on any of the oil lines running to the head of the rear cylinder. The highest point of oil leak is the rear 180° of the rear cylinder, and it runs down the cylinder fins, the top of the transmission and under the bike to the ground.

Get a small flashlight and look under the rear pipe where the head meets the cylinder you'll see where it's bubbling at an idle. This isn't a rare problem and it's about 5-6 hours work for an experienced mechanic. Oh and make sure you stress the point the bike needs a bath otherwise they'll do a wipe down and leave the underside crudy. Told me mine had just came out of the wash rack, it hadn't. Got a fast detailer wipe down at best.

Old 07-23-2018, 09:48 AM
donruff
Advanced

Thats is exactly where it is leaking at. It has been at the shop for a week. The bike is being fixed under warranty. I would assume i will see it some time in the beginning of August.

Old 07-23-2018, 04:26 PM
Oldskewl
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,906 Likes on 3,285 Posts

My son had his bike flashed at the dealer in May and it was never the same bike. First of all the move up the RPM's from 850 to 950 (I think) and they do something else. Now it has some weird hesitation and just doesn't run the same.
I turn off that damn ETIMS (s) all year until it gets hot. I hate the way the bike runs on one cylinder at stop signs. Shovels never needed that crap, EVO's never needed it. I don't see a need to run it unless I'm riding in heat above 85 degrees.

So yes, the new updated flash the dealer has for stock bikes does something weird to the way the engine runs,.

The following users liked this post:
bradsULtd (08-14-2019)
Old 07-23-2018, 05:00 PM
KrustyKush
Road Master
Received 431 Likes on 287 Posts

I don't use EITMS on my 2018 RGU either. I used to think EITMS was to protect the motor, but then I learned it is for rider comfort. I just don't suffer that much, even in triple digit heat, on the M8. High temps today at my house 107f.

Old 07-23-2018, 05:07 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,528 Likes on 4,425 Posts

gone back and forth with the EITMS thing over the years but have been leaving it on..raises the idle even from 950 on my Stage 1 and doesn't introduce weird stumbling that others dislike..when i put my hand down testing heat with enabled and disabled I can tell it does its job and works as designed..I see no reason to disable it these days

The following users liked this post:
big papa AZ (09-06-2019)
Old 07-23-2018, 08:15 PM
Cazador
Received 3,323 Likes on 1,853 Posts

I had the EITMS disabled and the bike was constantly flashing a code. I never looked it up I just canceled it. I then enabled the system and haven't had a code since.

Old 08-09-2018, 09:12 AM
donruff
Advanced

Got the bike back yesterday.
Soft goods replaced and it back on the road.
It is the same as before it went in to the shop. Other than being dirty, it got the shop wipe down.

The following 2 users liked this post by donruff:
stixvrad (08-13-2019), TwiZted Biker (08-09-2018)

Quick Reply: Blown head gasket!!!