Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust Wrap for Heat

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2018, 04:34 PM
btrain77
Intermediate
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks for all the replies. They made me think of different aspects of this install that I had not thought of beforehand. It definitely does hold the heat in all the way from the head connections. I hope the pipes don't crack from heat at the y connection but I am going to leave them this way and see what happens. If it cracks then I will replace and report back here. I wouldn't claim warranty there if I created a condition that caused it. By the way, the two nuts that hold the front header pipe flange to the head and the two for the rear were way under torqued (after only 1500 miles). I am glad I removed the chrome covers and checked them before wrapping. Any moisture that gets on it will evaporate quickly I can tell you. I thought the header pipe was made out of stainless anyway. If I let it sit outdoors in the rain then it may be an issue but my truck will be parked outside before this bike will. The next step is to monitor temps with the Powervision (from my 14 streetglide) and see if any temps are different. I had it connected on a 200 mile ride and saw engine temps (not coolant temp) of 290+ before the exhaust wrap was installed. I would never have know those temps were at that value if I had not monitored it. I'll get back on this info also.

Old 07-19-2018, 07:01 PM
Bumpandrun
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 414 Likes on 297 Posts

Originally Posted by dyna rider
I hate to tell you this, after such a good detailed and photographed process, but wrapping the head pipes will eventually make the pipes crack especially where they go from 2-1. The wrapping holds in the heat and pushes the temp higher than the metal is rated for. Also, after you start it up that weave pattern is forever printed on your pipes. Your bike runs hot because of the catalytic converter.
Maybe that isn't such a bad thing because when it happens, you can go buy some pipes without the catalytic converter installed in them.
BTW I have about 6 months left on my warranty and after that I am going to have the converter removed.
Nope false assumption .....we have a twink here that has 73,000 miles pipes have been Wrapped twice and bike has no mods what so ever. Stock mufflers even. He is like me and ole oval track racer and has wrapped pipes for years .. Another stupid as$ rumor. We have plenty of bikes running wrapped pipes for over 20"years.....so that rumor you can toss in the garbage.
Nice write up OP....those pipes are not easy to do!!

The following users liked this post:
azgrumbles (06-28-2020)
Old 07-19-2018, 07:02 PM
Bumpandrun
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 414 Likes on 297 Posts

Originally Posted by btrain77
Thanks for all the replies. They made me think of different aspects of this install that I had not thought of beforehand. It definitely does hold the heat in all the way from the head connections. I hope the pipes don't crack from heat at the y connection but I am going to leave them this way and see what happens. If it cracks then I will replace and report back here. I wouldn't claim warranty there if I created a condition that caused it. By the way, the two nuts that hold the front header pipe flange to the head and the two for the rear were way under torqued (after only 1500 miles). I am glad I removed the chrome covers and checked them before wrapping. Any moisture that gets on it will evaporate quickly I can tell you. I thought the header pipe was made out of stainless anyway. If I let it sit outdoors in the rain then it may be an issue but my truck will be parked outside before this bike will. The next step is to monitor temps with the Powervision (from my 14 streetglide) and see if any temps are different. I had it connected on a 200 mile ride and saw engine temps (not coolant temp) of 290+ before the exhaust wrap was installed. I would never have know those temps were at that value if I had not monitored it. I'll get back on this info also.
You are correct about stainless...I welded a set the other day......nice write up!!!

Old 07-20-2018, 06:42 AM
CWOFOR
Tourer
Received 140 Likes on 85 Posts

I too have wrapped my pipes on previous bikes and race cars for years with no adverse effects. And plan on wrapping my current '18 SG for this same reason. It is good to know what results I can expect; thanks OP for the write up. Question for the OP; the wrap you used looks like the titanium type, correct? If so that is "rated for 1800 degrees" verses the 1300 degrees of the ordinary kind. Also, what width wrap did you use?

Bumpandrun (07-20-2018)
Old 07-20-2018, 04:38 PM
btrain77
Intermediate
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

CWOFOR, I used a 50 foot length 2 inch wide roll of DE Titanium Exhaust Wrap (53.99). It says it is rated at 1800 degrees direct heat and 2500 degrees intermittent heat. I also had to buy a pack of 8 inch stainless straps (16.99) and a package of 14 inch stainless straps (11.99). I did not use all of them because I wanted spares just in case. I used every bit of the 50 foot roll though. I thought at first 25 foot roll would do it but I changed my mind at the last minute and went with 50. Make sure to soak it under the faucet first and pull it tight as you go. I have ridden it now for several hundred miles and it looks like it is going to stay tight. No odors at all now. I notice no excessive heat anymore at a redlight on surface streets. All the materials were hanging on the wall in O'Rielly's Auto parts.
I think the real test will be time and miles, but like Bumbandrun said: 73k miles on a TC and wrapped exhaust the whole way. Really encouraging. Thanks all for the re-enforcing feedback guys.

CWOFOR (07-21-2018)
Old 07-20-2018, 04:44 PM
Kingglide549
Banned
Received 969 Likes on 694 Posts

Thunder header under there somewhere- .I have been wrapped for a very long time.
No cracks in 5 years and a whole lot of miles.

Old 07-20-2018, 05:03 PM
dyna rider
Club Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Old 06-25-2020, 12:59 PM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,250 Likes on 11,136 Posts

This is a great thread. I’m giving this some serious thought, as my ‘17 Ultra Limited is nearly setting my right heel on fire.

To those that have wrapped M8 pipes, and then installed the heat shields over the wrap:
- did the wrap appreciably reduce heat on your right foot?
- has anyone experienced any pipe cracking or rusting?

Did anyone try this stuff by putting it under the heat shield? Maybe I should just wrap my boot in it.Thermo-Tec 13575 Adhesive Backed Aluminized Heat Barrier, 12" x 24"
Amazon Amazon

Last edited by TriGeezer; 06-25-2020 at 01:00 PM.
Old 06-26-2020, 09:09 AM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,250 Likes on 11,136 Posts

Damn! I thought my foot was hot!!!

Old 06-26-2020, 09:12 AM
teedoff65
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,474 Likes on 1,061 Posts

Originally Posted by TriGeezer
Damn! I thought my foot was hot!!!

lol You may need to wrap your foot with that stuff!

TriGeezer (06-26-2020)

Quick Reply: Exhaust Wrap for Heat