Sponsored by:

Exhaust Wrap for Heat

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2018, 06:34 PM
btrain77
Intermediate
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Exhaust Wrap for Heat

2018 Ultra Limited with 1500 or so miles. Been riding around the Memphis area since I got it and noticed some heat from the right side. Not as much as my 2014 Street Glide (which I still have). I don't want to do anything to the engine/exhaust system for heat because I like the way the bike runs/sounds the way it is. So I though what the heck, I'm going to wrap the exhaust and see if it makes a difference. I went to O'Rielly's and bought the supplies. [img]

Used every bit of the 50 ft. roll. Got the small stainless clamnps for the 2" pipes and the large clamps for the cat section.

Started by removing Chrome exhaust shields.

soaked the wrap under the sink spikot and started with the front pipe. It was the most difficult because I did not remove the front oxygen sensor and had to estimate how much I would need before I cut it. I was lucky and guesed right.

Put the roll in a container to keep it clean and unwravel with some control.

Then did the rear pipe and tried to cover as much of the Y connection as I could. This was easier because of better access and I got my routine going. Make sure to pull tight. Water will drip off as you go but ot helps to settlle it in better being wet.

Wrapping the rear section was the easiest of all and I made sure to double wrap the cat.

You can see where I put the larger and smaller clamps. I kept them clear of the chrome exhaust cover clamps.

When you cut the wrap with scissors it starts to unwravel right away. I triied stapling the end with an index card and it worked long enough to get the wrap on but deteriorates quickly once the water gets to it.

This pic is from above the cat. You can see the wrap if you are looking for it but no one would ordinarilly notice it unless you mention it.

This is after the install. I had to lengthen the rear cat chrome cover clamp with another clamp because double wrapping it made the clamp too short. No big deal.
Make sure you roll the bike outside when you go for startup. The water soaked wrap with steam and stink up the place. The wrap has some kind of silicone that is supposed to cure. I took the bike out for a 185 mile ride and one I got moving I could smell a thing but you sure look strange at a red light with all that steam coming of of it. After a few miles I new right away my right leg-o-meter said that the temp was definitely down. At speed it seemed to me that that that the temperature was the same on both sides of the bike. The only heat I felt was whatever came from the cylinder fins. When I got home I checked the chrome cover clamps and none needed tightening. I read somewhere that I would get more horsepower from a wrapped exhaust. My but-o-meter says fooey! I could not tell any difference in power. One other thing I did notice that I was not expecting. When I first started it up I noticed that all of the exhaust sound was coming from the back now and I could hear more clearly the distinctive engine sounds it really makes. A nice normal sound on mine. Oh and by the way, I did also wrap the crossover pipe all the way to the left muffler since it runs about a half inch from the bottom of the motor.
Was it all worth it? I say yes cost wise (about 85 bucks) an if you are willing to go through the effort to install it. Took about four hours and I took my time. So if you are going to replace your exhaust system and tune mainly to reduce heat, you may want to try this first. Even if you did replace the exhaust system and tune, you would very likely notice a further reduction in heat by wrapping it anyway. I am happy with the results. I cannot do anything about heat from the cylinders but who cares. It's all part of riding a motorcycle and now all I want to do is ride. I cannot wait for the weekend.

The following 5 users liked this post by btrain77:
azgrumbles (06-28-2020), BrandonSmith (07-19-2018), Cage-Free (06-28-2020), lp (08-18-2020), Peter Quinn (07-19-2018)
Old 07-18-2018, 06:52 PM
badcooky
Banned
Received 473 Likes on 370 Posts

Nice work man.

Old 07-19-2018, 06:10 AM
DamifIknow
Road Warrior
Received 58 Likes on 55 Posts

Looks good. I often thought wrapping exhaust would reduce a lot of heat. I'm curious what effect this will have on Pipes in the long term. I recently purchased a 2018 RGU in same color combo as your scooter and I'm please with heat or lack there of on new bike vs. 2016 RGU with HO103. Please keep us updated if any issues arise.

The following users liked this post:
Dr.Lou (09-22-2020)
Old 07-19-2018, 07:28 AM
Cold Forged
Cruiser
Received 59 Likes on 42 Posts

When I had my Vulcan 1700 Classic I noticed that there were a lot of Vulcan 1700 Voyager and Vaquero owners who did this to reduce heat. Those engines ran hot and this mod seemed to help keep the rider and passenger cooler. Those bikes, like the Ultra, had full plastic lowers which reduced air flow to the pipes.

The heat has not been much of a problem on my Road King which has better air flow to the pipes.

The wrap will hold some moisture if you ride in the rain a lot, so there is the chance the pipes will rust out sooner.

Last edited by Cold Forged; 07-19-2018 at 07:31 AM.
Old 07-19-2018, 08:00 AM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,364 Likes on 2,619 Posts

Originally Posted by Cold Forged
The wrap will hold some moisture if you ride in the rain a lot, so there is the chance the pipes will rust out sooner.
Rain or not, it will trap moisture.

Old 07-19-2018, 09:32 AM
rjacobs
Tourer
Received 67 Likes on 57 Posts

oh no, stock head pipes might rot out...because there arent literally TONS of them for sale should that ever occur.

To the OP: I didnt realize you could fit wrap under the stock heat shields... Interesting. Might give it a go if I can ever decide which direction I want to go as far as exhaust goes.

Old 07-19-2018, 03:07 PM
dyna rider
Club Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Default Wrapped Pipes

I hate to tell you this, after such a good detailed and photographed process, but wrapping the head pipes will eventually make the pipes crack especially where they go from 2-1. The wrapping holds in the heat and pushes the temp higher than the metal is rated for. Also, after you start it up that weave pattern is forever printed on your pipes. Your bike runs hot because of the catalytic converter.
Maybe that isn't such a bad thing because when it happens, you can go buy some pipes without the catalytic converter installed in them.
BTW I have about 6 months left on my warranty and after that I am going to have the converter removed.

Last edited by dyna rider; 07-19-2018 at 03:28 PM.
Old 07-19-2018, 03:09 PM
BrandonSmith
Club Member
Received 2,227 Likes on 1,410 Posts

I was contemplating doing this a couple months back but some things came up. Lucky me you became the guinea pig for me! Lol

I’m hoping you have great results in the long run!

Old 07-19-2018, 03:26 PM
Captain Itch
Sponsor
Received 602 Likes on 325 Posts

We make a product called a Crotch cooler that works very well and is a whole lot easier to install.. With that said if you have any questions just let us know .. Thank you Itch

Old 07-19-2018, 03:30 PM
Cold Forged
Cruiser
Received 59 Likes on 42 Posts

Amazon Amazon

What if you simply applied a product like this to the back of the heat shields.
It would certainly be simpler and take less time...and might not degrade or weaken the pipes.
This is actually similar to what Kawasaki did to several of the Vulcan 1700 heat shields as part of a Technical Bulletin program when owners complained about excessive heat.

Quick Reply: Exhaust Wrap for Heat