Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2018 Limited Twin Cooled oil level

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2018, 05:12 PM
btrain77
Intermediate
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

One more comment I would like to make is that it is good we have this important conversation about oil level. The reason I say this is the M8 Service Manual is not as easily obtainable as it used to be for everyone. When I bought my 2012 Limited I bought a Service Manual for about 35.00. I traded that bike for a 2014 Limited and also again purchased a Service Manual for about 40 bucks. But when I bought the 2018 Limited I went to the parts counter and asked for a Service Manual they were hesitant to sell me one. They did not refuse but were clearly trying to discourage me in favor of me using their Service Dept. to do any work. I do not blame them for that as it is the way of business. I said that I always purchase the Service Manual for any bike I get and would like to get one. They said it will be $120.00 and that the price had been raised for the same reason...….business. I asked for a discount and they gave me a 10% one but it was still a hefty price. The manual is worth it to me (although I grunted to myself) after ordering it. Two weeks later it came in and I put it with the other ones I bought and have been reading it fairly often. Mabey others would not buy one due to cost and look elsewhere (like these posts) for the info they need at the time and do the repair correctly. Thanks to all.

The following users liked this post:
Heritage07 (07-21-2018)
Old 07-21-2018, 07:26 AM
jpooch00
Elite HDF Member
Received 265 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by btrain77
One more comment I would like to make is that it is good we have this important conversation about oil level. The reason I say this is the M8 Service Manual is not as easily obtainable as it used to be for everyone. When I bought my 2012 Limited I bought a Service Manual for about 35.00. I traded that bike for a 2014 Limited and also again purchased a Service Manual for about 40 bucks. But when I bought the 2018 Limited I went to the parts counter and asked for a Service Manual they were hesitant to sell me one. They did not refuse but were clearly trying to discourage me in favor of me using their Service Dept. to do any work. I do not blame them for that as it is the way of business. I said that I always purchase the Service Manual for any bike I get and would like to get one. They said it will be $120.00 and that the price had been raised for the same reason...….business. I asked for a discount and they gave me a 10% one but it was still a hefty price. The manual is worth it to me (although I grunted to myself) after ordering it. Two weeks later it came in and I put it with the other ones I bought and have been reading it fairly often. Mabey others would not buy one due to cost and look elsewhere (like these posts) for the info they need at the time and do the repair correctly. Thanks to all.
IMO, it's worth the price to have a manual and do your own work, regardless of how bad the MoCo gouges you on the price. That's the one and ONLY way to know for sure that the job's done right the first time, every time - or even done at all, for that matter.

Seems like I paid over $100 for my maint. & parts manual set for my '15 Limited. Worth every penny and a lot more!

Old 07-21-2018, 03:03 PM
KrustyKush
Road Master
Received 431 Likes on 287 Posts

My dealer had no problem ordering me a service manual, and yes it was around $120. To tell the truth, I can't remember exactly how much they charged. I woulda paid it no matter what.

It also needs to be said that there are errors here and there in the manual. And things that aren't clearly spelled out. I never heard of an equipment manual that didn't get constant corrections, but we're stuck with the one printing of the manual, faults and all.

Old 07-21-2018, 03:08 PM
PirateRider
Tourer
Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I for my 2017 manual, BUT, that requires a short story...

i was at the dealer and and picked up the manual off the shelf. It was marked the same price as the older ones. I didn’t know any difference and dropped it on the checkout desk with a couple other items. Suffice to say the total was a shock. I asked them about it and they said the new manuals are crazy expensive. I said really? It’s marked (with a price tag) as $40. They checked it and said, yep it is and changed the price to $40 and had a discussion with the person responsible for marking the prices. They already had the other two on the shelf fixed by the time I left.

sooo, I got lucky as $120 is outrageous! However, for a newly designed bike my old ones were worthless for this bike. Mainly I need torque values and bolt patterns but you have to get the whole package.

Given this, ragging on folks asking about values and normal “read your manual” responses may need to be rethought....