Sponsored by:

Felt like popped out of gear

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2018, 08:15 AM
smkauffman
Cruiser
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Felt like popped out of gear

I was on the way in to work this morning on my 2017 Limited and had this happen twice. I was turning from one country road to the next and getting on the throttle a little to get back up to speed. It felt like the bike popped out of gear or something. My instinct was to pull the clutch in and coast for a second or two, listen and see if I could feel anything strange. Everything seemed normal so I let the clutch out and it was business as usual. I was probably around 4000 RPM or so both times so I know it wasn't hitting a rev limiter or something. After the second time I took it easy the last mile or 2 to work and everything seemed to be normal. I plan to check all the fluids after work and I'm at about 19,800 miles so I had planned to do the 20k service this weekend anyway, if something is low I'll just get the service done. Anybody have any other ideas to check? I'd rather avoid taking it in under warranty if it's something simple like low fluid somewhere or an adjustment somewhere I can do.

Old 07-19-2018, 08:37 AM
UHDhog
Tourer
Received 83 Likes on 63 Posts

Was it the same gear both times this happened?

Old 07-19-2018, 08:41 AM
smkauffman
Cruiser

I think it was maybe second both times, not 100% sure. Both times were pretty shortly after I started getting back up to speed after turning a corner.

Old 07-19-2018, 08:48 AM
UHDhog
Tourer
Received 83 Likes on 63 Posts

If it's not making any grinding sounds, I would assume the transmission gears are good. Maybe the clutch needs a slight adjustment.

Old 07-19-2018, 08:51 AM
smkauffman
Cruiser

I don't believe there is any adjustment on the hydraulic clutch.

Old 07-19-2018, 09:13 AM
SpringerRider
Road Captain
Received 191 Likes on 104 Posts

I would take it out and repeat the process and see if you can make it happen under controlled conditions. If you can, you have a much better story to tell your tech.

I had a situation that my tech kept saying they could not repeat. I finally ran the bike with my phone recording the sound. You could hear the bike cut out and in.
Funny, after playing it for them, they were able to make it happen. To be honest, I don't think they believed me before and weren't really looking. In my case (unrelated to you) it turned out to be a bad peacock diagfram that was stopping fuel-flow momentarily.
The point I am making is that you should go in there with some kind of evidence.

Old 07-19-2018, 09:14 AM
teedoff65
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,474 Likes on 1,061 Posts

Why not take it in under warranty? I would at least want to get a record of the issue in case something more serious develops later down the road....pun intended.

Old 07-19-2018, 09:29 AM
rjacobs
Tourer
Received 67 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by smkauffman
I don't believe there is any adjustment on the hydraulic clutch.
There is.

Same as every other modern Harley. Its behind the derby cover.

Old 07-19-2018, 09:41 AM
smkauffman
Cruiser

I will definitely try to repeat the problem paying closer attention to all the conditions when and if it does happen. I know that the more information you can provide someone with the easier it is to diagnose and fix or find a service bulletin that describes the problem and solution.

I would have no problem taking it in for warranty work if it that is what needs to happen and I have plenty of time to get it in before the warranty is up. I just don't want to take it in under warranty right now in the prime of summer and leave it for a couple days if there is a simple adjustment or something I can do in a few minutes at home.

Old 07-19-2018, 10:43 AM
VDeuce
Road Warrior
Received 403 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by rjacobs
There is.

Same as every other modern Harley. Its behind the derby cover.
Nope. There is no adjustment on hydraulic clutches.

Quick Reply: Felt like popped out of gear