Sponsored by:

Sumping scare. What dealer told me

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2018, 01:57 PM
evil apes
Cruiser
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Sumping scare. What dealer told me

I checked my trans fluid and no fluid registered on dipstick. Added fluid and brought it up to proper level. The next day I called the dealer and told him what I did. I asked him if I should be worried about sumping. He told me my bike is probably sumping. He told me to take a turkey baister and suck the fluid back out. The fluid should barely touch the dipstick, disregard the marking on the stick. He told me to pull my primary derby cover and fluid will leak out everywhere but it will then be back to normal level. Luckily for me my primary level was fine, I’m not sumping. He told me that filling to the level indicated on the dipstick is causing a vortex and draining into the primary. He told me to keep my trans level barely touching dipstick and it won’t create that vortex. He said that it was probably set up that way on purpose upon purchase. He said that Harley is aware of the problem and is working on a solution. Maybe a new dipstick, lol. Also, he said that the trans is fine with 4 ounces of oil.

Old 07-21-2018, 02:03 PM
Kingglide549
Banned
Received 969 Likes on 694 Posts

Omg !

Old 07-21-2018, 02:27 PM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 9,584 Likes on 5,162 Posts

You need to find a new dealer ASAP . That whole story line is BS.
Sumping is a Engine oil issue has nothing to with Transmission and or Primary.

Last edited by smitty901; 07-21-2018 at 02:29 PM.
The following 5 users liked this post by smitty901:
dave the welder (07-21-2018), eanspratt (07-10-2021), fullautomike (07-22-2018), PFWiz (07-22-2018), plongson (09-06-2019)
Old 07-21-2018, 02:43 PM
evil apes
Cruiser

Originally Posted by smitty901
You need to find a new dealer ASAP . That whole story line is BS.
Sumping is a Engine oil issue has nothing to with Transmission and or Primary.
why do I keep reading about transmission oil draining into primary on this forum under sumping? Dealer is a known reputable dealer in my area with a former famous bike builder as co-owner. I’m not doubting you but now I’m really confused

Old 07-21-2018, 02:54 PM
hollandhunter
Road Captain
Received 127 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by evil apes

why do I keep reading about transmission oil draining into primary on this forum under sumping? Dealer is a known reputable dealer in my area with a former famous bike builder as co-owner. I’m not doubting you but now I’m really confused
SImply because the vast majority of people on here are not mechanics. Im not either. An just because your dealer has respectable people owning it or whatever doesnt mean they actually turn the wrenches. Im sure the lead tech at the dealership is pretty sharp. But i bet he doesnt do alot of actual wrenching. You run into this in alot of shops. The best ones are behind a desk. Unless you find a self employeed indy that doesnt work well with others and chooses to not only run a buisness but do the work too. They are hard to find if this makes since.

Old 07-21-2018, 03:00 PM
evil apes
Cruiser

Originally Posted by hollandhunter
SImply because the vast majority of people on here are not mechanics. Im not either. An just because your dealer has respectable people owning it or whatever doesnt mean they actually turn the wrenches. Im sure the lead tech at the dealership is pretty sharp. But i bet he doesnt do alot of actual wrenching. You run into this in alot of shops. The best ones are behind a desk. Unless you find a self employeed indy that doesnt work well with others and chooses to not only run a buisness but do the work too. They are hard to find if this makes since.
so in your opinion, should I fill my trans fluid up to level on dipstick and see if it transfers, or listen to dealer and keep it just touching dipstick? Or get a second opinion from different dealer? Bike runs great but don’t want to create issues. It’s under warranty for another year.

Old 07-21-2018, 03:03 PM
$tonecold
Club Member
Received 1,741 Likes on 931 Posts

First thing, the migration of fluid from the transmission to the primary is transfer, not sumping. Sumping is a condition where the oil pump fails to scavenge the crankcase allowing oil to build up in the crankcase. I’m not dissing you, this is for your and anyone else’s information that is confused on these two things.

Next thing, your dealer is full of crap. A vortex? There’s a pretty good indication that the transmission is indeed pushing the oil into the primary, but running the transmission low on oil isn’t going to stop the transfer.

Now did he say it was Ok to run the transmission 4 oz. low or with only 4 oz. of fluid in it. Four ounces low probably won’t hurt anything, but running it with only four ounces will probably crater the transmission pretty quickly.

As for the primary, the oil should not be anywhere near running out the derby cover. It’s supposed to be just cover the bottom of the clutch about a quarter to a half inch.

Last edited by $tonecold; 07-21-2018 at 03:06 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by $tonecold:
LXT (07-21-2018), PFWiz (07-22-2018), plongson (09-06-2019), Sam D. (07-22-2018)
Old 07-21-2018, 03:12 PM
tbob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 690 Likes on 465 Posts

I checked my trans fluid and no fluid registered on dipstick. Added fluid and brought it up to proper level. The next day I called the dealer and told him what I did. I asked him if I should be worried about sumping. He told me my bike is probably sumping. He told me to take a turkey baister and suck the fluid back out. The fluid should barely touch the dipstick, disregard the marking on the stick. He told me to pull my primary derby cover and fluid will leak out everywhere but it will then be back to normal level. Luckily for me my primary level was fine, I’m not sumping. He told me that filling to the level indicated on the dipstick is causing a vortex and draining into the primary. He told me to keep my trans level barely touching dipstick and it won’t create that vortex. He said that it was probably set up that way on purpose upon purchase. He said that Harley is aware of the problem and is working on a solution. Maybe a new dipstick, lol. Also, he said that the trans is fine with 4 ounces of oil.
This is why I never get service at a Honda dealer.

The following 2 users liked this post by tbob:
Eccool (09-06-2019), EdsRoadGlide2017 (09-09-2019)
Old 07-21-2018, 03:20 PM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 9,584 Likes on 5,162 Posts

Sumping and lube transverse are two different things. They have nothing to do with each other. Transfer has been reported by a few , That is where some Transmission lube transfers to the primary. Generally it happens a High RPM of extended times. Some of it is likely real some of it is over reaction.
Sumping is an Engine Oil issue.
Any dealer that did not know the difference should never be visited again. And anyone that say 4 oz is enough lube is nuts.

Old 07-21-2018, 03:26 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,515 Likes on 4,421 Posts

Scary Story!!!! My dealership told me it's a Voodoo Vortex caused by improper alignment between the Molecular Twangulator and the High Flutenator

Last edited by mjwebb; 07-21-2018 at 03:27 PM.

Quick Reply: Sumping scare. What dealer told me