Milwaukee Eight (M8) 2017 and up M8 Air and Liquid Cooled discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission fluid transfer with a twist. Help?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2018, 07:57 AM
gunnar
Cruiser

Received 29 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Transmission fluid transfer with a twist. Help?

I'm gonna try to make this short as I'm sitying in a hotel room on my tablet. Heading to Sturgis and I am having transmission fluid migrating to the engine case. Primary fluid level is bang on but my crank case is gaining fluid while the gear box is losing it. Stopped st a dealer 2 hours out of town and lost about 10 oz. They called tech support who advised them to correct fluid levels and put dye in it and have me stop at the next dealer and have them check it again. I'm sitting in Great Falls, Mt waiting for the dealer to open and see what they say. Anybody have any ideas or experience trans fluid migrating to the engine oil. I may need to make a decision here soon on whether to continue or head back home. Thoughts.?

Old 08-04-2018, 08:51 AM
PDB17UltraRG
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 773 Likes on 735 Posts

That’s a terrible situation to be in lets hope the dealer gets this all documented. So they can ant lease get a new tranny put it. Just keep it at the harley Shops threw out your trip, let them deal with oil levels and keep oil with you. Good Luck and keep us informed.

Old 08-04-2018, 09:09 AM
ntraindavefl
Road Warrior
Received 333 Likes on 234 Posts

So you lost 10oz in 2 hours approximately? Wow not sure you should continue. If your bike is stock or close to it, I would leave it at the next dealer and continue w a loaner or even better trade it in for a twin cam. I’m sure there are ‘15s or ‘16s at every dealer available.

The following users liked this post:
jpooch00 (08-05-2018)
Old 08-04-2018, 09:56 AM
$tonecold
Club Member
Received 1,743 Likes on 933 Posts

Originally Posted by gunnar
I'm gonna try to make this short as I'm sitying in a hotel room on my tablet. Heading to Sturgis and I am having transmission fluid migrating to the engine case. Primary fluid level is bang on but my crank case is gaining fluid while the gear box is losing it. Stopped st a dealer 2 hours out of town and lost about 10 oz. They called tech support who advised them to correct fluid levels and put dye in it and have me stop at the next dealer and have them check it again. I'm sitting in Great Falls, Mt waiting for the dealer to open and see what they say. Anybody have any ideas or experience trans fluid migrating to the engine oil. I may need to make a decision here soon on whether to continue or head back home. Thoughts.?
For transmission oil to be transferring to the engine oil there would have to be a leak from the transmission to the oil reservoir under the transmission. I would suggest having the dealer pull the reservoir (engine oil tank) to see if there is a visible leak. Sounds like you will need a transmission replacement. The only other way would be through the primary which would see a level variation of some degree, either more or less fluid.

Old 08-05-2018, 03:38 AM
gunnar
Cruiser

Received 29 Likes on 17 Posts

Update.... Well the dealer in Great Falls wasn't much help, kinda piissed me off actually. They knew we were coming the day before with dye in the transmission and they didn't have a black light and claimed that they couldn't get one once we got there. Anyway that's another story. The bike as suspected, lost another 8 oz this time with the engine oil level gaining fluid so I decide to cut my loses and head home before I got too far. We again confirmed that the primary oil level is bang on. I didn't want to spend hours every day at a Harley dealer having the correct the fluid levels every day, and we all know how busy Rapid City Harley is during rally So we corrected the levels and limped it 5 hours home. Gonna regroup, drop it off at the dealer on Tuesday and head to Vegas. Reading the forums, I never came across a migration for trans to crankcase so I will keep ya'll up to dated when I here from the dealer probably later in the week.

Old 08-05-2018, 03:49 AM
MTBIG G
Road Warrior

Received 968 Likes on 556 Posts

Feel for ya gunnar. Trans oil migrating to the engine is a new one to me. Seems there would have to be a casting problem or a crack in the engine oil reservoir seperating the reservoir from the trans.

Good luck and please keep us posted. Curious how this turns out.

Old 08-05-2018, 07:41 AM
jpooch00
Elite HDF Member
Received 265 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by ntraindavefl
trade it in for a twin cam. I’m sure there are ‘15s or ‘16s at every dealer available.
That's the absolute BEST advice for dealing with a problematic M8 right there!

Old 08-05-2018, 11:36 AM
UltraZac
Tourer
Received 88 Likes on 52 Posts

Well the dealer in Great Falls wasn't much help, kinda piissed me off actually.
That's funny. When I stopped there earlier last week they acted clueless about my clutch switch problem.

Old 08-06-2018, 12:01 AM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,252 Likes on 3,626 Posts

Originally Posted by $tonecold

For transmission oil to be transferring to the engine oil there would have to be a leak from the transmission to the oil reservoir under the transmission. I would suggest having the dealer pull the reservoir (engine oil tank) to see if there is a visible leak. Sounds like you will need a transmission replacement. The only other way would be through the primary which would see a level variation of some degree, either more or less fluid.
May not need a tranny replacement. The drain passage for the tranny is a port that passes through the tranny to the oil pan. The the pan gasket has a location for it and it may have simply been damaged on install.

Old 08-06-2018, 07:10 AM
jpooch00
Elite HDF Member
Received 265 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by UltraZac
That's funny. When I stopped there earlier last week they acted clueless about my clutch switch problem.
Just a typical H-D dealer. They can't help themselves. If they weren't totally clueless hacks and BS artists, they'd be in a different, less bottom-feeding line of work.

Last edited by jpooch00; 08-06-2018 at 07:15 AM.

Quick Reply: Transmission fluid transfer with a twist. Help?