Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SE Heavy Breather feedback wanted

Old 08-08-2018, 05:28 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,490 Likes on 4,407 Posts

Originally Posted by Fullbore55
I assume the AC has no affect on amount of oil/snot coming out of breather tubes. If so, wouldn’t it be better to wipe up that stuff than to have it go into engine intake?
not for me..wiping and cleaning up has been annoying me for over a decade..maybe if I didn't care about warranty and wanted to keep a bike until the wheels fall off I would consider the catch can solution

Old 08-08-2018, 06:40 PM
Fullbore55
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,632 Likes on 1,226 Posts

I recently got the SE high flow, haven’t yet noticed gunk seeping out. Previously had KN filter with otherwise stock AC, with home-rigged catch can. The can accumulated good amount of gunk that otherwise would likely have gone into engine. From prior threads, sounds like oil gunk from breathers is reduced or eliminated simply by running lower oil level. Hope that’s true...

Old 08-08-2018, 06:51 PM
riknbeth
Road Master
Received 189 Likes on 166 Posts

Have had the heavy breather installed for over 15K miles now. Zero oil or any issues. To be honest I don't even know what you are talking about, but I can tell you I am very **** when comes to my ride so if there was any obvious oil I would be ****ing pissed.... I personally got the heavy breather because I wanted the stage 1 and I thought it looked cool.

Old 08-08-2018, 07:08 PM
sixguns
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,458 Likes on 755 Posts

I ran the Heavy Breather on my 17 stage III RGS for 15,500 miles and never had any issue with it, but its a noisy sucker.. I have been running the High Flow on my 18 RGS and have no issues with it [ no puking oil ] I have two of the filters, so I can swap them at each oil change and clean/dry/oil at my leisure.

Old 08-08-2018, 07:30 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member

yeah, the HB on wife's 2012 was noisy, but so were other SE ACs I've had, as well as being pukers, believe me I have done everything over the years to deal with it including the most preferred method of running oil level lower..they all spewed varying degrees of goo under varying conditions, etc..glad i found an apparent alternative solution to avoid buying the HB (see my other post) SE High Flow relief which confirms the MOCO acknowledged the problem enough to try to resolve it

Old 08-08-2018, 07:31 PM
RoadKingFL
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the High Flow AC on mine and have been taking it back to the dealer 6-7 times over the last 6 months for the oil blowing all over the heat shield and then covering the front of the right saddlebag. Excessive blow by is an issue with this M8 and the dealer has been working with HD tech services trying multiple fixes with none of them working. Well, last week I was told that HD has redesigned the breather tubes and they were sending them to the dealer to see if it resolves it. I'm happy to say that I've put about 300 miles on it since Saturday and so far, no oil blow by! This has been riding 70-80mph in 95 degree Florida heat - this type of riding in the past would always cause the oil blow by to show up within 100 miles.
The new breather tubes are a little thicker and vent out near the top of the throttle body. The original ones vented out near the bottom of the throttle body, this caused a lot of the oil mist to not get sucked back in which meant it was building up and then end up all over the saddlebag. So if your still having this issue, check with your dealer on the redesigned breather tubes and get them installed under warranty. My bike is a 2017 SGS with a stage 2 torque cam for reference.

The following users liked this post:
mjwebb (08-08-2018)
Old 08-08-2018, 07:47 PM
ole_phart
Road Master

Received 578 Likes on 361 Posts

I got an HB installed on my Low Rider last Friday. It's all sealed, I don't see how blow by could escape to the outside. 'Course that means its going into the motor but that's another subject. Having mid controls, I don't have a problem with it getting in the way of the peg or brake pedal.

Old 08-09-2018, 08:43 AM
Oldskewl
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,906 Likes on 3,285 Posts

mjwebb. I don't think you will have any issues. I have the same breather and zero oil leakage or residue. And yes, it's simple enough to install a child could do it. Takes about 15 minutes once your tools are out.

Old 08-09-2018, 08:47 AM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Oldskewl
mjwebb. I don't think you will have any issues. I have the same breather and zero oil leakage or residue. And yes, it's simple enough to install a child could do it. Takes about 15 minutes once your tools are out.
appreciate the feedback, but like I mentioned in my follow up post i stumbled into new information that they now have updated breather tubes for my current AC kit that supposedly resolves the problem I'm having..so will give the $18 tubes a chance first

Old 08-09-2018, 10:56 AM
Fullbore55
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,632 Likes on 1,226 Posts

The HF has a screaming eagle stick on panel that covers the Allen bolt holding the housing on. Does that panel stick on well enough after its pried off, without adding glue or other adhesive?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: SE Heavy Breather feedback wanted