Milwaukee Eight (M8) 2017 and up M8 Air and Liquid Cooled discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

M8 - Knocking sound between 1800 and 2300 rpm ...

Old 08-09-2018, 01:20 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,503 Likes on 4,414 Posts

Originally Posted by KrustyKush
I think I know what knock you're talking about, OP, and it isn't ignition knock. Ignition knock is something else and sounds completely different. What OP hears, and what I also hear on my 2018 RGU, is a deeper knock more akin to wood blocks clacking together. It is most noticeable when under light throttle load while the motor is in the 2k to 3k rpm range. It isn't a pleasant noise, but it is a common motor noise. I've heard it before with other engines, including in-line fours, Goldwings, and Japanese V-twins.

How I experience this noise depends on whether or not I'm wearing earplugs (I almost always do wear earplugs), the traffic around me, my mood, distractions, and probably other ambient factors. Mostly, I don't notice it at all. I try not to. I do best when I keep my head in the ride and not pay attention to all the noises that big motor is making, while it works two feet away from my ears. I think earplugs make this noise more noticeable, because my foam earplugs tend to strip out clicky and windy noises but leave behind lower pitched clacky noises. Fairing type I think has a lot to do with how we hear the noises.
take it to these guys, the leading foremost authorities on identifying those sounds!!!

The following 2 users liked this post by mjwebb:
MTBIG G (08-09-2018), Ultra_RB (08-09-2018)
Old 08-09-2018, 04:36 PM
hollandhunter
Road Captain
Received 127 Likes on 95 Posts

Record and post the sounds you all are hearing someone might have some valuable insight if they can actually hear it.

The following users liked this post:
Ultra_RB (08-09-2018)
Old 08-09-2018, 05:05 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,225 Likes on 3,608 Posts

You could try adding a preload spacer to the compensator spring pack.. I would try to find a second small diaphragm spring and add it to the comp springs,Cup the small springs together, My 17 RK does not have the knock but my 07 egc with the latest comp has a slight knock, Adding the spring helped a bunch.

Ultra_RB (08-09-2018)
Old 08-10-2018, 10:18 AM
Ultra_RB
Cruiser
Received 43 Likes on 25 Posts

Thanks to all that have posted ... and yes I will seek out another M8 bike to see if it sounds the same. I'm glad to hear that is seems "normal" and it's not doing damage to the engine. It is just an annoying kind of clacking noise and as mentioned just shows up under load in that 18-2300 range, all gears ... otherwise engine runs like a top ... funny tho and I forgot to mention this in my post is that it is most noticeable when the engine is hot ... I use AMSOIL 20/50 syn and AMSOIL in the other holes too ... but it did it with the Harley oil in it too.

One further question to the explanations of knock sensors/timing ... is what is actually making the noise? Is it actually something hitting something else or is the sound created by something to do with the ignition of the F/A mix???

Thanks again to all that have posted, appreciate the help.

Old 08-10-2018, 12:14 PM
KrustyKush
Road Master
Received 431 Likes on 287 Posts

If we are talking about the same noise, and I think we are, I do think this is a totally normal engine sound. I've always been hyper-aware of engine sounds, and have spent a lot of time worrying about them, and wondering what causes them. In 2005 I owned two new Yamaha Road Stars. Very similar engine design, air cooled pushrod V-twins. These bikes had a "problem" in that, when hot, they would make this same knocking noise. It really aggravated a lot of owners. The internets were full of complainers. The knock had no functional effect. The engines were extremely reliable and good running. But when hot they could sound like they were about to throw a rod. The knock was very audible from idle up through around 2k rpm, then it disappeared amongst the general ruckus. I managed to convince Yamaha corporate to replace the engine on one of these two knockers. The new engine knocked even worse!

Also don't forget people hear things in varying ways, a lot of it having to do with hearing loss. Age related. One effect of this is to magnify certain sounds and/or attenuate sounds. Because the hearing loss doesn't usually happen in a straight line across the entire audible spectrum. One might be left with excellent perception of a knocking sound, but not be able to hear the wife from the pax.

Ultra_RB (08-10-2018)
Old 08-10-2018, 05:34 PM
Steel Wheels
Road Master
Received 296 Likes on 167 Posts

Knock occurs when a normal flame front (ignition) instead combusts spontaneously. The resulting explosion actually rocks the piston against the cylinder wall, creating that awful hammering noise. Engines can take a lot of abuse, but eventually the piper has to be paid.

Im sure You Tube has plenty of videos on this.

Ultra_RB (08-10-2018)
Old 08-11-2018, 06:31 AM
badcooky
Banned
Received 473 Likes on 370 Posts

Sounds like the compensator maybe ?

Ultra_RB (08-11-2018)
Old 08-11-2018, 08:09 AM
jpooch00
Elite HDF Member
Received 265 Likes on 224 Posts

It's not the sound of the intake valves closing coming back through the air filter box is it?

I know that the Rushmore bikes can have that sound at around that RPM range. My '15 Limited has had it from the get-go, as well as the Rushmore demo bike I rode.

Sounds just like a bottom-end knock, but it's not, and it's totally harmless and normal.

Ultra_RB (08-11-2018)
Old 08-11-2018, 10:38 AM
Ultra_RB
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Steel Wheels
Knock occurs when a normal flame front (ignition) instead combusts spontaneously. The resulting explosion actually rocks the piston against the cylinder wall, creating that awful hammering noise. Engines can take a lot of abuse, but eventually the piper has to be paid.

Im sure You Tube has plenty of videos on this.
Would changing to a fuel with higher (or lower) octane rating make a difference? I believe the lower the octane the faster the fuel ignition but please correct me if I am wrong. I know HD recommends 91 octane and that is what I use, but in Canada we also have 94 octane in addition to 87 and 89 ... next tank I think I will give something diff a go just to see if there is a difference ... or, would the ECM just adjust for the different timing?

Old 08-11-2018, 10:44 AM
Ultra_RB
Cruiser

Originally Posted by KrustyKush
I think I know what knock you're talking about, OP, and it isn't ignition knock. Ignition knock is something else and sounds completely different. What OP hears, and what I also hear on my 2018 RGU, is a deeper knock more akin to wood blocks clacking together. It is most noticeable when under light throttle load while the motor is in the 2k to 3k rpm range. It isn't a pleasant noise, but it is a common motor noise. I've heard it before with other engines, including in-line fours, Goldwings, and Japanese V-twins.

How I experience this noise depends on whether or not I'm wearing earplugs (I almost always do wear earplugs), the traffic around me, my mood, distractions, and probably other ambient factors. Mostly, I don't notice it at all. I try not to. I do best when I keep my head in the ride and not pay attention to all the noises that big motor is making, while it works two feet away from my ears. I think earplugs make this noise more noticeable, because my foam earplugs tend to strip out clicky and windy noises but leave behind lower pitched clacky noises. Fairing type I think has a lot to do with how we hear the noises.
Yup, that's it ... not the normal ignition knock you would hear with fuel of low octane it is a deeper knock and as I say seems to be coming from the heads ... for me it is 18-2300, when hot and under 30%+ load, you especially hear it going uphill. It doesn't sound like something catastrophic is about to happen, just an annoyance really. I'm relieved to hear that others have the same sound, so if it is a problem then a lot of us have it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: M8 - Knocking sound between 1800 and 2300 rpm ...